“Dad & Grad Weekend in Newport, R.I.”

Ramada Middletown Newport Area
Ranked #17 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed June 18, 2012

First and foremost, we were surprised - mainly from reading other reviews - at how comfortable the beds were in our room. It's rare when you get a good night's sleep your first night in a hotel room, but it happened here!

The location couldn't have more perfect for us - we needed to go on and off the Naval base constantly for two of the three days during our visit. We also visited downtown Newport and the immediate area, including the mansions and Cliff Walk, at least twice a day during the entire three day visit. The location of this Ramada couldn't have been more perfect - they even have their own traffic light for safe departure from the parking lot!

High marks to our check in and out person - super smooth and easy.

Moderate marks for the on-site restaurant: Prices, especially for the lobster meals were very good, and the ambiance was nice, but our server seemed to be a bit lacking professionally. But ... after you get tired of the hustle & bustle of the Newport harbor area nightlife, this restaurant was nice to have as a choice.

The only negative for us was the complimentary breakfast - after trying it once, we hit the Dunkin' Donuts 2 minutes down the street. If you're just a coffee, juice, and cereal person, it's OK. Otherwise we would advise hitting the road.

Overall, a nice find, and we wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms do not face the parking lot and street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sunsted

Reviewed May 22, 2012

The room was spacious, clean and quiet for a VERY busy weekend in the area. Sure some things could be updated but that's style not function! Helpful staff, comfortable beds, reasonable price - what else could you want?

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while visiting family in November of 2011 and again in April 2012 for over a week each trip. We had an oversized room on the top floor that was clean and quiet (ask for a room away from the street side). The mattress needs replacing but since they were recently bought out and became a Ramada, updating the rooms will be coming. All of the staff is very friendly and helpful. They have a great restaurant onsite with very reasonable prices and music on the weekends. The food is very good and many locals eat there. The free continental breakfast is not very good at all but I hear they will be improving this also in the near future. You may be able to get a hot breakfast in the dining room starting in May - I'd call and ask. All and all a good value and I intend to stay there again as long as they keep the price reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back of the hotel away from the street. They don't have an elevator so th...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jandy618
Reviewed April 29, 2012

I paid $65 a night for a king sized bed with fridge,microwave,desk and flat screen tv.This was one of the very few hotels in Newport/Middletown,that I could find that wasn't totally outdated.Most hotels with a flat screen cost more than what I paid.The other inexpensive hotels all had small box tv's.The bedding was all white and clean.The bathroom was clean and so were the floors.They also have a gym,and restaurant in the hotel,along with free continental breakfast in the morning.They also have pack and play's for your toddler to sleep in too,so you don't have to bring one.However,if you are disabled and can't walk up stairs don't check in there,because they don't have an elevator.The only thing I think they could do differently is upgrade the bathrooms.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim J
Reviewed March 29, 2012

The Royal Plaza has new ownership, a revamped interior and a fabulous restaurant! Ramada Inns have rescued a fine looking but older property and resurrected it as a renewed accomodation. Rooms are large, the linens are clean and spotless, the beds comfy, the staff are very friendly and eager to assist...and it features a restaurant with an unbeatable Lobster special all week long! When they finish upgrading their TV sets with flat panels you will have a fine mid grade hotel at a budget price! Great for business or just a getaway. You will find this a Ramada worthy of its new name!! Oh, don"t forget a nice continental breakfast is part of the package!! A great way to save money in an expensive town!!

Room Tip: They all seem to be great with the recent renovations!! If you need ice...ask to be located near the...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank billybuzzy
Reviewed December 27, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in October. It was one of the worst hotels I have stayed in years. The rooms smelled. The beds did not have matress covers. The walls were paper thin so we heard the neighbors and the curtains were not very thick so it was quite bright from the outside lights. A pretty bad place and expensive to boot.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Howard M
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Perhaps there is only one hotel I have ever stayed at that was worse. A hotel in the “bad part” of a city in Spain that had bullet holes in the windows. That is the only hotel that can beat this one out for “worst hotel ever”, so that isn’t saying much.

My husband was in Newport for work for a month, stationed at the Base. They were full at their lodging, so he stayed in this hotel. At the time he didn’t yet have his Govn’t travel card (it had expired) so we used our personal card to hold the room. Upon check out, he would pay with his government card. He alerted the front desk no less than 4 times of this. The card was NOT to be used for final payment.

When I came to visit his first room he told me I’d be scared to sleep there. I sure was, it was on the first floor with no screens in the windows- with only black out shades. It was in full view of the parking lot, so you either changed in the dark- or had the windows open and had to change in the bathroom.
The walls had holes in them. There was what looked to be a hole from someone punching it near the bed. It was left unpatched.

There were stains up and down the walls, on the furniture, and in the bathroom- there was some kind of red/pink stains all over the walls and floors. The tiles were cracked and moldy. There was mildew all over the shower. The sink was probably replaced back in the 80s. The carpets were so dirty, that when I walked around in white socks-the bottoms were black! Not just like gray from walking around your house- black and dirty. Like I walked outside.

Apparently, there are no pets allowed. However, in the room next to us there was a dog. He barked from when we arrived home at 4 pm until 1 am when his owner came back. Non-stop. My husband had to go to work at 6 am and be alert for 12 hr duty on base. Not to mention he must be well-rested and alert to do security work. We called 3 times to complain. On the 3rd time the girl at the desk said no one else called to complain and she wasn’t sure what we were talking about- there was no note of the 2 previous complaints.

Finally, my husband asked to get moved. He said it was too loud (you could hear EVERYTHING) and he needed to be at the back of the hotel. They moved him to the 2nd floor in the back. This room WAS cleaner. It smelled like there was a new carpet. But there were NO headboards (so strange). The bathroom was just as old and gross, and mildewy. There were ants crawling around the window sill. When he arrived there was simply a table with a folding chair (ya). When we returned at least this was replaced with two newer looking chairs.

The TV was from the 90s, at best. The furniture was old. It would cost very little to replace the old gross stained shade on the 80s lamp. The room was completely dark all the time, with a dim lighting. There was a fridge (requested since we were a long term stay) but it had No freezer and the fridge was barely cold.

I really can’t believe some people think this is a decent hotel. I was agast that there was a wedding party staying there. If I was the bride, I’d cry if I had to spend my wedding night in a dirty, dingy, ant filled, soiled room.

To top it off, my husband went to check out, and they had CHARGED our personal credit card. As we noted, he was here on business—and the Navy was paying. They said they “couldn’t find” the receipt from the over $2700 charge!! I told them I would call the police. They charged our card, without prior warning and WITHOUT our permission. What if we didn’t have the money in there? I called Ramada to complain. In order to get reimbursed we needed the ORIGINAL receipt. The manager is still looking for it. If we don’t have it by Friday- I am calling Middletown Police Department!

DON’T STAY HERE!

Room Tip: The back. 2nd Floor.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank lavitamigliore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Courtyard Newport Middletown
Courtyard Newport Middletown
#8 of 18 in Middletown
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
The Carriage House Inn, an Ascend Collection hotel

Been to Ramada Middletown Newport Area? Share your experiences!