“Pay $400 a night, walk on eggshells”

Residence Inn Newport Middletown
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Unfortunately this hotel has very thin ceilings, walls, and etc. We had a three night, two day reservation. We came for a Wedding. We arrived at 5am. We went to our room to unpack and sleep. Literally after placing our bags on the floor and starting to get ready for bed (after a 16 hr car ride), we received a call from the front desk. We had been in our room for a total of 10 minutes, and the front desk was calling to tell us that we were getting a "noise complaint". This is the first time in all of my years staying in hotels that I have ever experienced a noise complaint. We laughed out of surprise and couldn't believe that they were serious. The next day we awoke, attended the wedding & returned, and not 10 minutes later another noise complaint. Couldn't believe it, very disappointed. The staff was sweet, the room was quaint, but, the feeling of being not welcomed was unfortunately priceless...

Room Tip: Find a place that really wants to go above and beyond to give you the best "vacation, & get...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rachel s
Mr_Jeff_Miller, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport Middletown, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

I am so sorry that you experienced a problem during your stay. Noise complaints can be particularly challenging, especially when they are received late at night or very early in the morning. Our desire is to communicate with the guests involved to make them aware of the situation, trying to be senisitve to the needs of all our guests. Again, I am sorry that your stay with us was less than perfect.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

we recently stayed at the Residence Inn Newport/Middletown with family. The staff was very friendly, attentive and accommodating. We enjoyed the full breakfast and evening pre dinner food items. The suites were well appointed and very clean. The location could not be better. It was a few miles from Downtown Newport, etc. and close enough to Bristol. There are many restaurants and stores in walking distance. The bar and lounge area is a nice gathering place to have a beverage and conversation with friends and family. Having the pool, gym, outdoor sitting area, mini market and business center was a plus. We look forward to returning in the near future.

1  Thank glegler777
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Recently stayed here with my wife, daughter and 14 month old grandson. Great location for visiting Newport. Suites are perfect for 4 people. Rooms very clean with full kitchen. Breakfasts and evening reception were very good. Can't say enough about how pleasant and helpful the staff were. Upon check-in I told the front desk that we would need a Pack & Play for my grandson. We left to take him to Second Beach and upon returning the Pack & Play was in the room along with a toy for him. Staff at breakfast and evening reception made sure you were having a good time and had anything you needed.

Room Tip: If you are allergic to dogs, request a room on the third or fourth floor.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Residence Inn located in Newport, Middletown, Rhode Island. My wife and other members of our family were attending a weeding at the Hyatt Hotel in Newport. when we attempted to make a reservation at the Hyatt it was sold our. I searched the internet and found the Residence Inn which was located a very short distance from the Hyatt just over the bridge. I made the reservation which was $80.00 less than the Hyatt. When we arrived our room was ready, and was spotless, instead having just a room, we had a room which included a kitchen, living room and a large bedroom, what a pleasure to be able to sit on the couch rather than on the bed. The rate included a very satisfying breakfast and the staff couldn't have been nicer. For anyone travelling to Newport I would recommend this location.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I recently stayed at this property after a little change to my plans so that I could visit Newport. I arrived a bit late, so my review won't necessarily have a ton of detail, but can give you some basics. I am super allergic to cats, so I get a little hesitant to book at hotels that allow pet rooms, but they do this the right way and only allow animals on the 1-2nd floors and they make that pretty clear with signs and at the front desk. I did not smell or hear anything on the 4th floor. This, like all Marriotts, are non-smoking.

Location
About 2-3 miles from Newport (what a beautiful place), there was some construction so this did move a bit slowly. There are a ton of restaurants, stores, etc. within walking distance and a short drive. What I like about the location is that it's not right on the main road and tucked back a little bit. This means your room will most likely be pretty quiet. If you are concerned about noise, I'd probably not advise staying near the "sport court" as I could see that being a little noisy.

Rooms
I had a studio, which was more than plenty for one person. There was a work desk and chair, small sitting table for 2 and a nicely equipped kitchen with a full size fridge, a flat top cooking stove, etc. Since my stay was short I only made use of the fridge, but this would definitely be a bonus for families or business folks on longer trips. The kitchen was clean and they provide much of everything. They offer free wi-fi and a wired connection, which was nice. A couch and another table in the living room area were nice and generally clean.

The TV was on a pivot, so you could move it to see it from the living room or bedroom. TV had a good amount of channels, picture was a bit grainy. The bed itself was fairly comfortable, and they use the encasements, which was nice to see at a Residence Inn. Bedding appeared to be very clean. The clock was a little tricky, they may want to post some instructions or move to something a bit more intuitive. Iron worked fine and they gave you a good amount of hangers. They do provide light blocker shades, but they didn't go down far enough, so you had some light creep at the bottom. I usually sleep in total darkness to get comfortable, so that was a little annoying.

The bathroom area has a vanity outside the actually bathroom, which I think is a lot friendlier to those with more than 1 person. Water pressure was fine and although the shower was clean, it did not drain well. Not a fan of standing in my own stew, so hope they do look to fix this. They provide small Paul Mitchell products, which is great for one. Only a few towels though, so if you have a few people with you should probably request more.

You could hear a little bit of noise from the hallway especially. I didn't really hear anyone's TV blaring or coughing or anything, so hopefully is built fairly well. I did hear a dog spazzing out on the first floor the morning I left, which I'm sure could be annoying to folks trying to sleep or relax. Another reason that if you don't have a pet to stay on a higher floor.

Overall
Staff was nice and helpful. I didn't get to use the business center, pool or recreation facilities, but I'm sure other folks reviewed them here. Free breakfast in the AM (didn't utilize) and a few times a week they have light food (there is a sign on the fridge with the list). If you are visiting the area think it would be a great place to stay and I'd definitely return.

Room Tip: High floor if you don't have pets. Ask not to face the outdoor sport court area.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank RedHeadGo
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Took a short trip with our two young boys. Staff was friendly. Check in was easy. Room was clean. Hotel was quiet except for the doors...they are very heavy so they close loudly. King bed was not very comfy, they could stand to get new mattresses.

Outside there is a tennis court and a basketball net. You can borrow equipment at the front desk.

Quick drive to Newport. They also offer a shuttle for $3 per person during the peak season. It's about an hour to Mystic and the same to Providence.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rizzo0904
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

We were looking for a one-night hotel on the road Boston and the Residence Inn was a very good solution. The rooms are huge and well-furnished. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The location is practical for one night, although I would not choose it as the base for a long holiday exploring the region.
We think this hotel is nice and affordable. A good choice in Newport!

• Stayed: April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
#8 of 18 in Middletown
Hotel Viking
Hotel Viking
#6 of 21 in Newport

Been to Residence Inn Newport Middletown? Share your experiences!