“Great Place To Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Middletown
Westport, Connecticut
“Great Place To Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This is the first time staying at this particular residence inn. I have stayed at various residence inn's around the country and this one is as good if not better than all the rest I have stayed at. Very courteous and friendly staff, I had a minor issue with my internet when I first checked in, and the issue was resolved within thirty minutes of my initial check in.
My room was clean and ready for me when I arrived, and I arrived about two hours before check in.
The breakfast was hot with a wide variety of selections.
The location of the hotel in relation to downtown Newport is just a few miles. I would strongly recommend staying at this property.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The usual residence inn format, augmented by an unusually helpful and friendly staff, excellent breakfasts and receptions, and a property that feels newer thant it probably is. We had a larger 2 bedroom 2 bath suite that was very nice and quiet, receiving an upgrade as platinum member which was nice. Can't say enough about the staff, friendly, helpful, patient. The breakfast was ALWAYS hot, pentiful, and an uncommonly wide selection that was ready to rock, not like some of the older Res Inn properties or more poorly managed where the eggs are old cold and hard, braekafst area is a mess, etc. Dinner too was excellent, could options, fresh salad, etc. As far as activities at the property, pool is large enough and warm, excellent hot tub. Gym has some machines and some free weights, one standup universal station. More than enough for a quick workout while on vacation, one of the machines is getting old and loud but overall nice gym for a residence inn, where they tend to be smaller. One of the maintenance guys even went out and shoveled off the basketball court for my son, which was just another example of the great staff here.

As far as the location, again spot on the money. it sits back from the road so my guess is that no rooms are subject to road noise, as ours was not. Nearby dining and entertainment is close enough to walk to or a short drive with a wie variety of stores, supermarket, movies, whatever. And you can always go to the casino nearby, but it might be cheaper and easier to send them a check and call yourself ahead. Couple miles, but far enough from the downtwon Newport area, which in itself is a strange sort of bipolar place with abundant history and super wealth and abject poverty/street people within a couple blocks of eachother. This is in a more commercial district which while a shrt drive to the mansions etc, is a better spot for the kids and family than the panhandlers encountered the next town over.

So all-in, i would highly recommend this place for business or family. Hits all the bases, decent meals which will save a family some coin or stretch your per-diem dollar.

Room Tip: Higher floor, down the end of one of the coridors will be a little quieter. Ask for a two bed two b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We stayed here during the winter festival in Newport and really enjoyed our stay. This is the third time I have stayed at a Residence Inn, and my husband's first. He was as impressed as I have been with the one bedroom suite and the friendly atmosphere. All of the staff was welcoming and took a moment to greet you throughout the day. We purchased the Dine and Discover package, which was a great value. It was new to the staff, so it took a bit to sort out the details, but well worth the effort. The pool and hot tub were great, as was the exercise room. Unfortunately, it was a school vacation week and the last thing a teacher on break needs is a pool full of noisy , splashing children! Breakfast was included, as was an evening reception three nights a week. The food was adequate and if you stuck with the basics, quite sustaining. If you are a shopper, this place is in a great location for accessibility to the Christmas Tree Shops! It is not scenic in any way, but very close to some beautiful scenery. We loved our stay and would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for the fourth floor if you want to see more than rooftops.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank zancooneymcd41769
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here during the Winter Festival week in Newport. All the staff, from the maintenance, cleaning and kitchen staff to the front desk were so warm, welcoming and helpful! Room was spotless and spacious for a family of 5. One of the best hotel experiences I've ever had--will definately be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bristow, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel is a GREAT place to stay, no matter what brings you to Newport. I stayed here for a business trip, and I had everything I needed to make for a comfortable 2-week stay in Newport. The breakfast is great and huge!! I went at both the beginning and end of the breakfast time, and there was never a shortage of food. There is no attached/onsite restaurant, but the manager's specials they have in the evenings are great as well. Plenty of yummy food if you don't feel like going out for dinner..My room was well-appointed and CLEAN. The kitchen had a full-size fridge, microwave, and dishwasher as well as a cook-top. It was nice to have a separate desk and dining room table, and the bed was soooooo comfortable. The walls are a little thin, but they are no thinner than any other hotels I have stayed at. The shower water pressure was good, and the towels were plentiful! If business ever brings me back to Newport, I will stay at the Residence Inn again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Mr_Jeff_Miller, General Manager at Residence Inn Newport Middletown, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for your comments. I'm pleased to learn you enjoyed a great stay. For those who decide not to leave the hotel and sample some of the great restaurants in the area, there is an Applebee's next door and we are happy to provide guests with a 10% discount card. We hope you will return soon.
Princeton, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We went to this area for my son's graduation at the Newport Navy Station in January. Never had been to the New England area before and didn't know what to expect, especially in January! The Residence Inn was absolutely wonderful! Home away from home! Lots of conveniences. We stayed in a double suite which was just perfect. Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, living room...warm and homey! Loved it!! It snowed one night and our windows on our car had been cleaned off! Wow! How wonderful was that! Cannot say enough about this place...if we ever return to the beautiful area, we will definitely stay there!

Room Tip: I can't imaine any of the rooms being not as good as the others.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My husband and I arrived today to celebrate our anniversary-having celebrated for the past four years in Middletown/Newport RI. When we arrived we were greeted very nicely and as we were walking away we heard a "Happy Anniversary" from one of the lobby receptionists. How thoughtful. As we arrived in our room we noticed a card and a vase of flowers. The card was a Happy Anniversary card hand signed by many of the staff including the kitchen! You can get a clean room, reasonably priced with many amenities but to add personal thoughtful touches takes this hotel and its staff to a much higher level. I traditionally wait to write a review but felt this review should not wait. Our room was as always clean and ready. Pool area and gym great. Cookies to greet us as we arrived from dinner-nice! The person who greeted us was friendly and the night desk person was friendly and funny! I would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone. It is close to Newport without the high price, close to nice restaurants and tomorrow we will have a great complimentary breakfast. Beautiful scenery! If you are looking for a great place to stay when visiting Newport-stay at the Residence Inn!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
#6 of 17 in Middletown
4.0 of 5 stars 256 reviews
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport

Been to Residence Inn Newport Middletown? Share your experiences!