“A terrible experience”

Newport Ambassador Inn
Ranked #18 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

This takes the cake for the worst hotel I've ever stayed at. They go by the name Ambassador Inn, which is why I didn't come across these reviews prior to my stay. The staff at the front desk was extremely rude. Their English was difficult to understand. They demanded extra money for the additional people staying in our room even though our printed confirmation with the price stated the correct number of guests. This place is old and has not maintained. The glass door to the main entrance was shattered. The window in our room was broken and wouldn't lock.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank good2travel4fun

Reviewed August 18, 2012

As soon as we drove into a nearly empty parking lot at the Ambassador Inn and Suites (EconoLodge), I was worried about this place. My wife had booked a two night reservation without checking TripAdvisor.com first (currently #17 out of 17) in Middletown, RI. I walked into the lobby and immediately noticed a very small breakfast area on the left. I spotted one waffle maker, four bins of cereal and a juice dispenser. Being a quick study, I immediately realized the free breakfast there meant I'd be paying for breakfast elsewhere. Anyway, I approached the front desk and was greeted by a gentleman who spoke broken english. He asked me how many people were staying in the room. Apparently, there is a charge for more than two people? Really? That led me to worry about what I'd find upon opening the door to my room on the second floor. To my surprise, the keycard worked on the first try and I walked into a clean room. I tried the light switch but no lights came on. As it turned out, all the light fixtures were unplugged. Once the room was lit I immediately checked the bed for bugs - first time I've ever done that - and was relieved to find none. The sliding door was open so I decided to check out the balcony. That's when I noticed the screen door was bent out of shape and the screen was torn in several places. The final straw was dealing with a toilet that would not flush properly. Fast forward to the next morning. I spent most of the day stretching my back and legs because the mattress was too soft. But on the bright side - the outdoor swimming pool was clean and the water was refreshing (not heated). Keep driving by this place - no need to stop here. "It wasn't that bad though" my wife the optimist says :)

Room Tip: Find a different hotel - don't let my wife book it for you
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This motel was formerly the Ambassador Inn and is now a very well run Econo Lodge! True, the outside doesn't say much as far as appearances go, but everything else was fantastic! We stayed in room 228 which has a king size bed, sofa, toaster oven, fridge and coffee maker. Very clean, great maid service. The towels were a little bit worn but not a big deal. Pleasant staff, wifi very fast, and very clean overall. Breakfast was well stocked: waffles, coffeee, juice, donuts, cereal, toast. And the best part of all was that it is centrally located and only 3.5 miles to Newport.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We stayed here because it was a popular weekend in Newport and everywhere else was booked. This place was fairly close to downtown Newport (10 minute drive) so we thought it would be fine since we weren't planning to be in the hotel much anyway. Rooms were NOT clean and smelled weird, desk and countertops were dusty, screen on window was broken, bathroom was gross, glasses/mugs were dirty, pool was disgusting, breakfast was bad, staff was unfriendly and unhelpful. STAY AWAY!!!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Durg187
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I wish I read the reviews before I booked my room here. The carpets are stained. The rooms smell terrible. Our key card never worked properly all four days there. I know I should have left early. The toilet didn't flush right. Those pictures are very staged. The hotel rooms are not nice at all. If you are looking for a dirty, loud, smelly flea bag hotel, then this is the spot.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank madmady
Reviewed July 5, 2012

this place was horrible.. the smeell the service.. to begin the service, all of the people there are so rude and mean, yyoou cant ask them any thing . always in a bad mood not FRIENDLY AT ALL!!! everything is dirtty i thought i was gonna catch a disease from the unclean bedsheets ect .. when i asked for more he "cournt give any" .. just my warning to all go anywhere else.. breakfest sucked! never again

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rafaalili
Reviewed June 13, 2012

This was about the only hotel that had rooms available for the weekend I was in RI. My family booked three rooms for four nights so we could be near the funeral home where we were having my fathers wake. The rooms were small and not very nice but for the price we didn't complain. The hairdryer in my room didn't work but I used the one in my cousins room.

The real problem came the night of the wake. When we arrived back to the hotel there was no one working on property and my aunt and cousin had demagnetized there keys. They searched the hotel and became so desperate they called the police. The police that arrived weren't shocked apparently this happened a lot because the one said that the night guy was normally asleep in the back office. When he checked he was unable to find anyone.

The next morning they went to complain to the manager, Vito(?) and he refused to give them a discount for the night because he didn't like my Aunts tone. He then came into our room after her and berated her for using "that sort of language when she was going to a funeral" and told my mother he was sorry for our loss but he couldn't comp the night. He did give my mother twenty dollars off the extra night we needed and acted like it was a favor to us.

Room Tip: To get a good room book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank faye_whitaker
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Bay Willows Inn
Bay Willows Inn
#12 of 18 in Middletown
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
The Carriage House Inn, an Ascend Collection hotel

Been to Newport Ambassador Inn? Share your experiences!