The Carriage House Inn, an Ascend Collection hotel
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Atlanta, Georgia
“Super Service”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Newport is expensive, and you still need a car. Staying at the Carriage House and parking in one of the Newport muni lots is still a better value. My room was embarrassingly large with couch and fridge. I sent a golf bag up in advance-it was in my room when I arrived. I needed a box to ship some stuff home-an excellent shipping box and packing material was in my room when I returned that afternoon. Bed was comfortable; internet was giving them fits, so I used my cell phone connection. I'll be back next year...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Manchester
Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is a great place in an area of large chains and expensive hotels that seems more comfortable. Short drive into Newport harbor area, mansions or the beaches, yet in a peaceful neighborhood setting. They have a great deck out in the back you can sit on and relax. The place is very clean, rooms are large and staff is helpful. Free complimentary breakfast is good, enough to get you going for the day. This was our second stay in the last few years, and both were very good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Seattle, WA
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place was a headache from the moment we arrived. The check in was slow and unfriendly. The only plus was the AC was working and kept the room cold. We were a little worried when we arrived at the how dated the first floor rooms were. The first mistake was the dead earwig found under the mattress. It just went down hill after that. There was at least 8-10 earwigs flying around and we kept killing them. At this time it was so late that there was no way to change rooms and get rest. We did what we could to rest and explain what happened in the AM. The girl at the counter was not concerned about the experience. It makes you wonder if she had already heard that from other guests. We had two rooms and both had bug issues. Please be warned.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank aug08bride

Travelers are raving about these Middletown hotels

Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I stayed here with my family for Memorial Day weekend and paid top dollar. Our room was located directly off of the lobby/breakfast area. It was a horrible location for a room and looked more like a location for a broom closet. The man sitting at the front desk barely acknowledged our presence upon arrival and was condescending and visibly annoyed when we couldn't initially locate our room. A guest (who was obviously a friend of the hotel staff) threw a huge party in the lobby, outside of my room. There were people drinking and being extremely noisy. My teenage girls got to hear all kinds of obscenities and witness binge drinking all while sitting in our room. When I opened my hotel room door, people were literally sitting outside my door drinking and laughing. The hotel staff joined along. When I called the front desk to tell them that we were trying to sleep, they suggested that I try to speak to the party myself. They finally agreed to ask them to quiet down, but that never happened. First thing in the morning, everyone congregated outside of my hotel door to have breakfast. I opened my door a crack and had people sitting down staring in my room (someone even mentioned "that's someone's room?") The clerk upon check out couldn't get any of my credit cards to go through, despite all of them being in good standing. After I explained our ordeal, he offered to remove 5% off our tab, without any apology whatsoever, and he assured me that the manager would contact me. My credit card was charged 2 weeks later at full price and I never received a call, despite leaving 2 messages. This is the first bad review I've ever written, and I've had some pretty bad experiences in my life. I suggest avoiding this place, especially on a busy weekend. It was a terrible experience and I was actually thinking of calling the Better Business Bureau after my experience.

Room Tip: I only experienced my room directly located off the lobby.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kelly H
Leominster, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Recently I attended a thyme party for friends and family in Middletown just on the city line with Newport, RI.

After the party later that night we stayed at the Carriage House Inn located just a block away on Miantonomi Avenue. This graceful 23-room charmer is a restored turn of the century Victorian inn very comfortable and conveniently located to everything that both Middletown and Newport have to offer. Walking into the lobby there are high ceilings with crown molding, wall trimming and chandeliers. There is an arched opening to the beautiful staircase leading to the second floor with another arched way beside it over the reception area alongside the staircase. At the other end of the opened space is a very attractive traditional carpeted main sitting area with chandelier, high backed winged chairs and sofa. The room is decorated with Victorian style lamps, tables and other furnishings. The inn staff was attentive, friendly and helpful.

The bedroom with two queen beds on the second floor we shared was spacious, well appointed again with high ceilings, a butler area as you enter the room with fridge, coffee pot, microwave for the guest convenience and a seating area. A flat screen TV was on the wall in the sleeping area and a safe was available on the bottom shelf of the nightstand to lock away any valuables during our stay. The bathroom was renovated with tub, toilet and shower with the sink, wall and smaller mirrors with a blow dryer located opposite the bathroom door making it easy for more than one guest to get ready.

Breakfast the next morning in the main floor sitting room was ample with bagels, cereals, croissants, oatmeal, muffins, granola, fresh, fruit, coffee, tea, etc. The seating tables are rather small and one has to juggle the breakfast when three people are sitting together at one small table but there is outside seating on the veranda. Obviously the sooner that one arrives for breakfast the more choices will be available.

This historic Inn is a gem in a neighborhood area perfect for guests wishing for a bit of elegance but with all the modern amenities at an affordable price.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the third floor but the elevator only goes to the second floor where there are st...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jostravels42
Pawtucket, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed July 1, 2013

After reading good reviews online my husband and I were thrilled to book a room at The Carriage Inn after attending a wedding at the ABC club.When we finally got to our room (for the first time) to shower we saw numerous hairs all over the walls and floor of the shower.That set our moods back quite a bit knowing our room was not properly cleaned prior to us being given it.We then found two dead mosquitoes that someone had squished and not cleaned on the night stand and ivory curtain.Also, on floor on side of bed a very crusty,extremely old chunk of muffin or pastry. I was extremely grossed out and disappointed. The room smelled very old and musty. The most important part of a guests stay is ensuring cleanliness to make them feel comfortable. The entire short stay I felt as if nothing in that room were clean and I was very uncomfortable. After paying $115 for the night I expected to at least receive a clean room. Unfortunately, I would definitely reconsider ever returning to this hotel in the future for events we attend in Newport.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Holly N
Colorado
Reviewed June 26, 2013

The reception, lobby and breakfast area are decorated like a colonial "inn"--like a grand house, and the feeling is much more like a B&B or inn than it is a chain hotel. The manager was interesting to talk to, breakfast was adequate, our room was large and the bathroom was huge. I really liked the upscale atmosphere. It's just a quick 5 minute drive around the lake to the Cliffwalk area and the start of Bellevue Ave where the mansions are. But you definitely need a car. It's located in more of a residential area with no shops or anything pedestrian friendly nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Hotel Viking
Hotel Viking
#5 of 21 in Newport
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown

Been to The Carriage House Inn, an Ascend Collection hotel? Share your experiences!