“Good beer, food not so much” 3 of 5 bubbles

Coddington Brewing CO
Ranked #6 of 89 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shelton, Connecticut
“Good beer, food not so much”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

My IPA was great, as was my husband's dark beer. I ordered a cup of lobster bisque -- what I received was a reddish soup with a few grains of lobster --though it could have been anything, hard to tell, since it was spicy hot. I have no idea what was in it, but almost no cream or lobster. My baked scallops were overcooked and were doused in so much wine that they tasted bitter -- not nutty and sweet, as fresh scallops should taste. But these may not have been fresh. I'd go back -- but for beer and bar food only!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank gracelind

New York City, New York
“Decent Local Eatery”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

My family and I were staying in Middletown and, as I always do, I asked the desk staff for ideas where the locals go. They gave me a few ideas and we chose to try Coddington Brewing Co.

Let's start with the service, which was excellent. My party was 4 adults and my 2 year old granddaughter. Our hostess seated us promptly and they provided a high chair immediately (it amazes me that some "family" restaurants don't have them). Our waitress had that rare touch to be attentive without being intrusive. She was always present when needed but did not insist on asking "is everything OK" every 6 minutes. She was also extremely solicitous of our 2 year old.

The food was a bit hit and miss even within our party. The appetizers were seriously good. Mozzarella sticks, Nachos and the clam chowder (of course) were all quality servings and well portioned.

The entrees batted .500. My son liked his chicken dish a lot and my wife liked her meal also. My Daughter in law and I were disappointed with the ribs and the seafood salad. Shrimp and lobster are usually excellent in Rhode Island but these weren't even worth wrapping to take home. The ribs were somewhat bland and tasteless. I won't call anything horrible, just not particularly notable.

I don't drink beer but my son ordered the sampler package of 7 mini samples of their home brews. Some he liked a lot, some OK and only one was "what were they thinking?". If you are a beer drinker and like local brews, this "Sampler" is a good value for the price and you'll enjoy it a lot. He did.

Overall I'd really rate this local Restaurant 3 1/2 stars for the total experience. It's also quite easy to find and, based on the crowd on a Saturday night, really popular with the locals. I can't say I'd be anxious to return BUT I also would not rule it out.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Great atmosphere, food, and beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

I was visiting family in R.I. and this was one of the only places that is open later so we decides to go here. Their food was amazing, not one complaint. Our waitress was very attentive, and kept cracking jokes with us all night. I will be coming back here again!

Yulee, Florida
“I only came for the beer”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2014

And I wasnt disappointed. The brews I had were flavorful and the prices were good. I wanted to slap myself for not getting the sampler but i was being responsible since I was driving. overall a great experience for me

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Carl A
Trevose, PA
“Mixed opinions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

My husband suggested we go here while we were staying in the Newport area. He loved his prime rib and bacon wrapped scallops. I had baked scallops and found them to be tasteless. The red bliss mashed potatoes were bland and the asparagus was ok. The salads were fine, nothing out of the ordinary. We had the sampler of beer and shared the 7 in season beers. Good size glasses, average tasting. We found the restaurant to be very noisy. I would say, find another place to eat, but I was glad my husband enjoyed his meal.

• Visited June 2014