Granted, the Hampton Inn is no 5-star hotel. But the least an average (and tired) traveler can expect from the likes of this hotel that charge anywhere from $150 to $200 a night is a clean, quiet room to catch up on some desperately needed zzzz's. Well, I was clearly disappointed on that front.
At check-in, the front desk staff was friendly and very helpful, gave detailed directions to neighborhood attractions and made an excellent recommendation for dinner. So far so good. However, when we checked into the room, we noticed the loud noise from the A/C. On our way out to dinner, we reported this to the front desk and they said they would have maintenance check it out before we got back.
By the time we got back at least 3 hours later, the issue had not been fixed. It's possible someone had been in the room to look at it but there was no way to tell. It was late at night, we were tired and didn't want maintenance to come over at that point. Because I was so tired, I fell asleep fast but was woken up in a couple of hours by the loud noise. It felt like sleeping next to a Harley Davidson revving loudly in the room. My spouse expressed similar anguish. Needless to say, neither of us got a lot of sleep that night.
The next morning at check-out, the front desk staff asked if we enjoyed our stay. I politely reminded them of the issue with the A/C. Their response was a cool "oh yeah, we know about that". Period. No apology, no explanation if they attempted to fix it, no offer of compensation, nothing.
Thus, I ended up leaving the place with a memory of the negative experience rather than the positive, friendly attitude I experienced when I first entered the hotel. A shame indeed!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Suites with refrigerator & microwave; 2 miles from Newport attractions, Navy Base and corporate parks; award winning hotel with free hot breakfast bar in a 2 story atrium lobby, indoor pool, whirlpool, fitness room & business center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton Inn And Suites Newport/Middletown
- Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown Hotel Middletown
- Hampton Inn Middletown
- Middletown Hampton Inn