“Nice people work there, clean, good location”

Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
A TripAdvisor Member
“Nice people work there, clean, good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2005

My husband and I checked in late (10pm) and were worried about the room type being available (it's happened before). The clerk was very nice but was very busy. He was on the phone, and with another guest at the front desk. He looked at me and mouthed "one more minute" and smiled. I thought that was cool. We got set up in the room type we requested and went right to bed, very tired. We're early risers and went to the breakfast area around 5:30am. The man setting up the breakfast was scrambling to get everything set up for the 6am opening. There was a stack of USA Today newspapers for us to read so we just took some coffee and read for a bit waiting for the breakfast to open. I was blown away when the breakfast worker came over to us with 2 small plates of danishes and muffins and said, enjoy, I like the company. The hotel is just like many others in terms of location and cleanliness, but the people that work there blew me away. Many smiles and hellos and goodbyes and my pleasures. I We go to Newport 2 or 3 times a year. I'll come back to this hotel definitely. Mainly because of that nice breakfast man.

• Stayed July 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
Hudson, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2005

After searching the Newport area for a room that would be under $200 per night, which is not easy, I opted for HI Express $ 199/nt. (high season & weekend). I'm a Priority Club member and have stayed in a few HI Expresses before and have been pleased with them, as they are new hotels, have and indoor pool and whirlpool.

Check-in time was 3pm and we showed up @ 2:30pm to see if we could check in, but the couple in front of us had tried too and they said the King rooms weren't ready yet, but if we waited 20 minutes they'd clean them. We opted not to bother waiting and asked if we'd still get the king room if we left without checking in. She assured me after taking my name that they would hold the king room for us. As we were leaving, several other couples came in looking to check in early as well. When we came back to the hotel at 11:15 that night, sure enough, the room had a king sized bed, as well as a whirlpool bath in the corner of the room, pretty spacious and clean.

The next morning, we awoke to lots of noise, these walls were so thin, I heard every move and some conversations my next-door and upstairs neighbors had (along with some moaning if you get my drift).

The breakfast room was as the others described, very busy, but sufficient to get a bite on the way out.

We didn't use the pool area or the workout room, so I can't comment, but the pool was small.

All in all, it was fine, but I don't know if I'd spend $199 again to stay there.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank sundarlin9
Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2005

The rooms were nice which is to be expected for a fairly new hotel. The indoor pool was rather small but large enough to cool off after a hot day.

The hotel appeared to have a clean appearance upon entering the lobby. This impression changed by the next morning. The free continietal breakfast was plentiful, however, the breakast room was dirty. I believe the problem was with fact that only one employee was responsible for replenishing the food and keeping the area clean. With the morning rush, he was unable to keep up with both these duties-- way too much work for one person. We and many others had to clean our own table (a difficult task when sticky jelly is stuck to the table and you only have a dry paper napkin to clean.)

Our room did not get cleaned during our 2-night stay. We left the first day around 9:30 am and returned at 4 pm for a rest. The room had not been touched. We left again at 5 pm for the evening and returned at 12 am to find our beds still unmade (too late to complain.) Our room was almost directly across from housekeeping and upon leaving both times the housecleaning personnel saw us exit the room. During our rest time (4-5 pm) a note was slipped under the door stating they were unable to clean the room because the privacy sign was on the door (true, but only during our time in the hotel, not when we were gone for 6 1/2 hours during the day.) My complaint the next morning at the front desk was met with "I'll check into it."

The bill for the room was incorrect. I reserved the room through the Priority Club website for $134/night and I was charged $170/night I was unable to determine the cause of the discrepancy. This problem was quickly resolved by the friendly staff.

My overall impression was not favorable. Too many problems for such a short stay. Not enough attention to detail from the staff/management even for a chain hotel.

• Stayed July 2005
2 Thank taxtraveler

Travelers are raving about these Middletown hotels

NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2005

Stayed at this hotel in June. The hotel is a standard Holiday Inn, clean friendly. They have a small indoor pool and a warm jacuzi which we enjoyed. Breakfast was free and included: fruit, hard boiled eggs, toast, juice , cinammon buns, bagels, cereal, coffee, danish, muffins, etc. We were very happy with our room and the service at the front desk.

• Stayed June 2005
1 Thank gulig
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2005

Never stay here on New Year's weekend. I moved from a B&B to a one-night stay at this hotel on New Year's Eve 2005. Never again. The place was packed with rowdy families and a group of noisy children right across the hall from me. The halls are loud and echoing and these kids kept going in and out of their rooms slamming the doors. People were coming in at all hours and revelers were partying in the rooms. This hotel is too cheaply made to support a lot of noise. Paper-thin walls and halls.

The breakfast is also mediocre. Very little selection, with stale pastries and breads. No selection of teas or cocoas.

For the cost, you can do better. Shop around....

• Stayed January 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2005

Stayed at this hotel in early November while visting area colleges. The hotel is your typical middle-priced generic hotel. There was a free breakfast with cinammon buns, bagels, cereal, coffee, danish, muffins, etc. The room was clean and bright, adequate sized bathroom.
Location is great, just about 7 minutes to downtown Newport and there are many strip malls, and restaurants on the the road of the hotel

2 Thank Michael C
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2003

I subtracted one point from my review because we were disappointed with our free "deluxe continental breakfast." Although we came downstairs a half hour before it was supposed to end, all of the food had run out except for cereal and coffee.

The hotel itself has a new and clean feeling to it and the staff at the front desk were extremely pleasant.

The rooms are in good condition, though narrow. The shower stalls also are small but at least there is plenty of hot water. Our promised internet access worked some of the time but wasn't reliable. Also, our television remote control did not allow us to use the extra features, though the one in my kids' room next door was fine.

We stayed here with five children and they loved the indoor pool. It's tiny and very shallow but that worked well for us since even a 3-year-old could reach bottom. The pool room had a terrible echo and the noise from a few children was deafening. The hot tub was delightful. I didn't use the exercise room but when I peeked in it looked nice.

The hotel's neighborhood on West Main Street, is one long suburban strip-mall sprawl. Our room overlooked Chili's restaurant. At least we had a yummy late-night snack.

I used quickcheck on Tripadvisor to get a good rate - though I still felt I paid more than the value I received. $99 or less would have made me feel better.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member