“Perfect for a two night stint in Newport”

Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed July 9, 2009

My boyfriend is currently checking us out of this hotel after a two night stint. As graduate students, we don't have a million dollars to spend on a hotel room. I was giving a talk for summer classes at Salve, but there were only a few places in Newport that had a room we could afford. This holiday inn express was the perfect solution- big, clean rooms, breakfast and coffee for free, a pool and a workout room. I have stayed at other holiday inn hotels and this one is way nicer than average with bigger rooms and really nice equipment in workout room. Internet was free and our bed was very comfortable wtih choice of firm or soft pillow and softer than average towels. It is not a fancy hotel, but it was nicer than most we've stayed in. It is no problem to get to newport from Middletown, but you definitely need a car.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 8, 2009

I wanted to write and say what a great value this hotel is for families...My kids were in the pool until 9:30 at night....The free breakfast had a huge spread, with mini cinnamon rolls that the kids went nuts for...and would have eaten 5 or 6 each if I'd let them...The staff is clearly experienced with kids, as they were super friendly and helped my son Jack find us around the corner when he got momentarily separated...Our two rooms here cost us less than 1 room at a hotel in downtown Newport...even though it is in Middletown this hotel is very conveniently near the beach and other stuff our kids love...there is a barnes and noble just a block or two away...chilis in the parking lot is also good for basic affordable food and families...all in all I say skip the Newport ripoffs and get more for your money here...and to the woman below: our room is shiny clean and has no issues whatsoever.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I want to warn everyone out there. I had two suites booked. When we arrived the first night, one of the suites had bed bugs all over the place. The other suite was okay and the regular room that my parents ended up staying in was ok. However, once one room has bed bugs, it's only going to be a matter of time until the rest of the hotel is infected.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
srnhg, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2009

Dear Tammy0927,

We deeply regret the fact that you experienced bedbugs in our hotel. Unfortunately, situations like this do arise on rare occasion. In the last five years, the resurgence of bed bugs has been a plague on our industry. It is now well-documented that bedbugs are brought to hotels by guests whose previous residences have been infected. After a thorough examination of all of our hotel rooms, it was determined that the room you were originally assigned was the only guest room with a pest issue.

While we cannot prevent such occurrences, our response is swift and exceedingly thorough. In accordance with our strict policy, once we find a problem during a routine inspection or have it brought to our attention, we promptly put the standard operating procedure in effect. We immediately contact our extermination company and place the room out of order so that it can not be sold. All of the linen in the room is thrown away, as is the mattress and box spring. The room receives an initial extermination and is kept out of order for two weeks, as this is the incubation period for new bugs. After two weeks, the room is exterminated again to ensure that no new bugs may still be viable. The following day the room is completely inspected and thoroughly cleaned. At that point, we bring in the new box spring and mattress along with the new linen. The room mentioned in this review was completely exterminated and all items replaced. We also inspected and treated all surrounding rooms to ensure that there is no chance of resurgence in another room. Our exterminator returned several times, and all of the items formerly in the room have been either sanitized or disposed of. The other rooms in our property have been examined for evidence of the problem, and none showed any evidence of bedbugs. To be extra certain, however, we have also sanitized and treated these rooms. We have rigorous cleaning and sanitation standards in this hotel. I mention all of this to show the lengths that we go through to alleviate these situations from re-occurring or spreading to another room.

While I would like to state that this will never happen again in our hotel, like every other hotel or hotel chain in the world, I am unable to offer this guarantee. I can promise you that we take preventative measures, as well as swift and thorough action, to deal with any problems that do occur. To date, we have had only three occurrences in 7 years, with well over 150,000 room nights sold. We thank you for your patronage, and hope you will join us again despite this experience.

Reviewed May 2, 2009

We stayed one night while on a quick visit to Newport. Rooms were clean and neat. Located in a quiet area. Excellent value if all you need is a good nights sleep.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 1, 2009

The staff and management don't know the meaning of customer service. Completely unresponsive to issues and feedback. No emergency maintenance capability. Run out of everything at breakfast and let all trash bins run over. I don't recommend staying here if you have any other option.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank jmj64

We are sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Middletown, RI. We want to exceed the expectations of all of our guests.

It is not clear from your review why you are under the impression that we do not have emergency maintenance capabilities. In fact, we have maintenance personnel to respond to emergency requests for service. If you have any sort of emergency, please contact our front desk for assistance.

Our complimentary continental breakfast is a favorite amenity of many of our guests. If we ran out of an item or did not yet take out the trash, we apologize. In most cases, we have additional supplies of breakfast items. We do get daily deliveries of some foods, in order to ensure freshness. Infrequently, this may cause us to run short on a breakfast item.

We are constantly trying to improve our hotel. We appreciate your feedback and will take it into account. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to have you as our guest and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed April 27, 2009

We just spent three nights here, this past Wednesday through Friday night. It is a very nice hotel. The rooms are large and very clean. The carpeting, bathroom, etc., look very new, so it must have been recently remodeled. The staff was friendly. The walls are thick enough, meaning we didn't hear much noise from other rooms.

Breakfast is okay. There is cereal, muffins, toast, bagels, eggs, etc. If you are looking for pancakes or waffles, there are plenty of restaurants nearby. The hotel is only about a 15-minute drive from the Newport Mansions. There is also the city bus that will take you there, but that is about a 60 minute ride.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed April 20, 2009

My husband had a business trip Rhode Island Thursday-Friday, and I decided to tag along and hang out in Newport during the day on Friday and then my hubby and I were going to enjoy Friday night/Saturday together. My husband found out they had jacuzzi rooms and booked us one for the weekend. When we arrived to check-in, we were given a regular king-size room, rather than the one we'd booked. They didn't even realize they gave us the wrong room until we brought it to their attention...at which point the check-in clerk said, "Oh, yeah...let me check." And we were informed there was a "problem" with the jacuzzi room, but they could move us on Friday. Considering the hassle of moving bags, etc, I just said forget it.

Thursday night, we had an obligation, which did not include dinner. We got back to the hotel late and asked for a food recommendation. They gave us a menu for a pizza place which was DISGUSTING (gagging now, just thinking about it). Not the hotel's fault that the food was gross, but really - is this the pizza delivery you're recommending to your guests? Unfortunate.

With leftover pizza boxes in the room, I left the hotel the next day to hang out in Newport while my husband when to a business meeting. I left at 9:30AM...came back briefly at 12:30PM to pick up something I'd forgotten...saw the room still hadn't been cleaned, but there was a cart a few doors down. I finally returned for the afternoon at 3:00PM, hoping to rest and hang-out for a bit until my husband and I had another obligation around 6pm. The room still hadn't been touched. I called the front desk requesting service, and was told that the cleaning staff hadn't gotten to our hall yet, which I knew was a lie (or a misinformed desk clerk), because I saw the cart nearby a few hours earlier. At this point, it took them 30 minutes to finally get someone to our room...and after walking around Newport all day and hoping to relax for a bit in the afternoon, I was kicked out of my room (because I did want it cleaned!) for another hour.

When we returned, I was absolutely shocked to find that the pizza boxes from our disgusting dinner the night before were left in the room. Again, another call to the front desk to pick up this trash. This exact same scenario (trash left in the room) happened to the room across the hall from us, we found out.

I'm not a very picky hotel guest, but this was seriously one of the more disappointing experiences I've had for a while. Maybe it's because we started out on the wrong foot by not getting the room we had ordered. But the experience that Friday was hugely upsetting and I will not recommend this hotel nor return.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business