“2nd Time NOT A Charm”

Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed December 11, 2008

It started upon arrival. I came to the front desk while my husband and niece unloaded the luggage. There was a sign saying that the desk person was "helping someone else in the hotel". This sign was on the front desk almost the entire weekend, and staff appeared to be "hiding" in the room behind the back wall of the front desk. The Friday evening clerk told us that the hotel was busier then normal, and that they were not adequately staffed. I am uncertain how on Thanksgiving weekend, management could not have known how many rooms were booked? There were two women's hockey teams there, so you can't say they all just drove by and said, "Gee, let's stay here". The hotel management knew and then didn't have the foresite to staff appropriately. As an FYI, no managers were available at all, all weekend.
When we got to our room, I opened the sofa bed for my niece to lie down. I turned down the covers and a pair of dirty socks was laying in the bed. I called the desk, and the clerk said it would be taken care of in a few minutes. 2 hours later, still no clean bedding, and we again told the 2 women, 1 a housekeeper who were at the desk, and it was still a long speech about how remarkably busy the hotel was, and it took another hour for the sheets to be changed.
The hotel boasts of hot coffee, tea, and hot chocolate in the lobby 24-7....ummmm, NOPE that was not true.
The hotel boasts of a hot breakfast, well, the first morning was pandemonium. Both hockey teams were crowded into the breakfast area at 9:00am, there was barely any food out, and there were young men picking through the eggs and bacon with their hands. The "kitchen" door was closed, and no one was around moving people, restocking food or cleaning tables, so needless to say we ate out, essentially paying for breakfast twice. When I approached the front desk, the day clerk was on her cell phone on a personal call, and ignored me the entire time I was standing there. Oddly enough, on our second morning, the same clerk was entertaining her husband and child at the front desk, instead of handling customers.
Morning two we had breakfast which was okay, but it took about 15 minutes for the breakfast room staff person to hang up on the personal call she was on, on her cell phone, and wipe down a table for us.
The hockey teams and their family and friends were running all over the building, taking over the pool area, standing in the way, and not letting people pass through hallways etc... they were plain rude and obviously thought they owned the hotel for the weekend. No hotel staff was available, when we asked to speak to a manager, to be sure that the other guests were taken into consideration.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank LauraBB44
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport

Reviewed October 15, 2008

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express over the Columbus Day weekend only because it was the only reasonably priced hotel that would let us book one night. All of the rest required 2 nite minimum including the Marriott and Hilton. It was a short ride to Newport, took East Main to Broadway to Rhode Island to Memorial which brought us right to the docks with no traffic. The hotel is relatively new, beds comfortable, 6 pillows, two each of soft, medium and firm. The room had a couch with a table, desk for computer with internet hook-up, a microwave and refrigerator. The hotel is set back from the road, so very little road noise, but you could hear noise from other rooms in the hotel. We ate the breakfast which was very filling (sausage, bacon, egg omelets, scrambled eggs, bagels, muffins, etc…) although there were no “Signature Cinnamon Rolls”, even though the Cinnamon Roll warmer said “Fresh Cinnamon Rolls will be out shortly”. Overall I thought it was a great hotel for the price and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2008

I stayed in this hotel this past weekend, and I must say it was a very nice hotel. I had a suite with a seperate bedroom with a king size bed and then a living area and kitchenette and it was like being in an apartment. What a big difference it made. Pay the extra money if you like more space, it's worth it. We got married in Newport on Saturday and a few friends drove up and we were able to have them in the room and hang out with us for awhile. The rooms were very clean, the bed very comfortable and the big flat screen tv was cool. The staff was very nice. The manager was extremely helpful and there was one girl behind the counter, and I don't remember her name, but she was so sweet and so nice. I would stay at this hotel again and recommend it to anyone who wants to visit Newport but doesn't want to pay the prices for staying in Newport. The hotel is on the main road that takes you straight into Newport and it's about a 10 minute drive.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2008

This hotel is run like a cold corporate giant. My sister and I had always dreamed of a road trip through New England. We booked 2 rooms at this hotel on the internet. I travel 3 times a month for business and usually try to stay away for these mega chains. Unfortunately, we could not find a room anywhere else. Yesterday, my sister was diagnoised with a malignat tumor and requires emergency surgery. Therefore, I immediately called the hotel to cancel. Even with this advance notice they refused to refund me any of deposit which turned out to be payment infull for the 2 rooms.. Over $400.00 dollars! I could understand keeping 50%. I was rudely transfered to someone named Justin who never once expressed sympathy for my sister and just kept repeating the policy. He obviously could not have cared less and will probably profit by rebooking the room. It seems that I made a mistake when booking on the internet and checked nonrefundable full deposit. But this hotel has no heart! If this is the way they treat people booking with them, imagine how they would act once you were there....If you are desperate enough to have to book here watch what you are checking.

• Stayed: October 2008
1  Thank wheelock3
Reviewed September 14, 2008

Stayed here, rooms were clean (at least ours was) and reasonably spacious. Value was pretty good, especially compared to the B+B's in Newport. About a 10 minute drive from Newport. Free internet in the Business center. Pool was highly chlorinated, but that is to be expected. Pool ran out of towels and they were replaced within 15 minutes. Workout facility is small but nice. Rooms have mini fridges as well. Breakfast was fine.

The desk lady was overworked, but was courteous throughout.

Good value for the area, I would return.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2008

Stayed at the hotel one night the Labor Day. Can't say anything bad. The hotel was quite empty, very quiet. The room was very spacious and clean. Nice, large bathrooom. Good breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2008

My family was traveling with our small dog this summer and our friends told us to stay at "pet friendly" Holiday Inns. So we booked our hotel stay on the Holiday Inn web site which advertised pets ok. However, when we arrived, we were informed that the hotel did NOT accept pets. Further, we could not cancel our reservations and would be charged full price. We called the main Holiday Inn customer service and were told there was nothing they could do for us....

Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank svelyan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Courtyard Newport Middletown
Courtyard Newport Middletown
#8 of 18 in Middletown
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina

Been to Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport? Share your experiences!