“Very nice stay, close to Newport”

Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
MA
“Very nice stay, close to Newport”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I booked three rooms at this hotel for a girls weekend through hotwire. We were pleasantly surprised with everything that went along with our stay. The rooms were very clean, we actually commented on how the hallways even looked very clean. The staff was friendly and helpful and the man who checked us in, I think it was Anthony, was helpful with our request for the rooms to be next to each other, he had even remembered talking with me the week before when called to make the request. The breakfast was pretty much your standard continental breakfast-- the cinnamon rolls were delicious, they also had eggs, fresh pancakes, fruit, cereal, yogurt, breads, plenty to satisfy anyone.
The hotel is fairly close to downtown Newport, I would say maybe a 15 minute drive. There is also a chili's in the parking lot for a convenient meal. I would definitely choose this place again if I was in the area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank alissa2128

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Korean first
Bridgeport, Connecticut
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Not the greatest place to stay but it was above average. They had the better than standard express breakfast, the hotel was a little noisy and a bit congested. The hotel staff from the front desk to the housekeepers were very good. There is a Chili's in the parking lot and a few good restaurants in the area. The hotel was in a good location.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is a great place to stay with the family. Its great value. The room was spotless and the staff very friendly and helpful. The free breakfast was more generous than I expected with bacon and eggs and bagel and muffins plus cereal and fruit. The pool was great for the children to unwind in. There is no bar in the hotel but there is a chili's in the car park. The location was handy for moving about Newport and surrounding areas. Living up to its name of being 'middle'town. It is only a 5 min taxi into Newport and is a straight road into the town. Not the place for a romantic weekend for two. There were a good few sports teams staying! The perfect place for those looking for clean, cheap and cheerful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank SaratogaFamily
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Even though we arrived at 3:45pm and our check-in time was 3:00pm, there were somehow no rooms available for us. We had a very short amount of time to get ready for a wedding. Staff cleaned a room in about 10 minutes and told us we would be 'upgraded' to a suite. Problem is that we had requested 2 beds and instead our 'suite' had one king bed and a sofa bed. We had no time to argue so we agreed to this, but we never could have anticipated how uncomfortable the sofa bed mattress was. The springs were awful with absolutely no padding. I'm not picky when it comes to where I sleep, but let me tell you, this was hands-down the worst hotel experience I've had. We called the front desk to ask if they had an alternative - turns out they had a roll-in bed but (of course) they would charge us $16 for it - Are you kidding me? I ended up sleeping on the very hard floor. And by that, I mean, I tried to sleep but wasn't able to. So much for paying for a hotel room so we could get a good night's sleep... Finally, as others have said, the walls are paper-thin. We were put right next to the elevator and it was so loud all night long. So were the other hotel guests. My recommendation: Pay an extra $10-$20 to stay at a nearby hotel. This was NOT worth it. Also, this hotel is definitely not worthy of a 3-star level (as Hotwire advertises).

Room Tip: Request to NOT be next to the elevator, and don't plan on using the sofa bed if your room has on...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Casey K
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Casey K,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Middletown Newport.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Middletown hotels

Cumberland, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 14, 2014

I came here for a night away. We got a room with a jacuzzi, however when we went to turn it on it was brown water. The maintenance person came down and said they had a broken tank. So we couldn't use the jacuzzi. So we thought we would go down to the pool and hot tub, that room is small and the hotel was full of college students so we couldn't get near the pool. The hotel staff was very apologetic, but it ruined a birthday get away. I have stayed at other hotels in the area before, and will continue to go to those hotels. We wouldn't come back here. Also the breakfast was cold at 10am and the server at the breakfast area was very rude.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear Kristen C,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. We are sincerely sorry to read about your negative experience with the jacuzzi. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Waterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

For the price you can't go wrong! I stay in the Newport area around the holidays I enjoy doing touristy things like overpaying to look at the same mansion I've already seen three times just because its all decorated for Christmas. That's why when it comes to a hotel less is more! This is the best place to stay if you've got kids. The pool is always clean and warm. There's a good sized hot tub and its very sanitary. Plus there's a hot sauna. I love the complimentary breakfast. As long as you can muster up your group before breakfast closes or gets too picked over you can cut one meal a day out of your spending budget! Staff is wonderful and the price is great. Again, nice place to stay if you've got kids because there's stuff to entertain them right across the street., there's a movie theater with some arcade games. Plus There's a dollar store close by so you can stop in for crayons or other travel must haves without paying an arm and a leg!

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Rachel H
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed March 30, 2014

This hotel is not a luxury property and cannot be held to that standard. However, for a moderately priced facility, it exceeded my expectations in many ways..

The staff members were professional and friendly. My room, No. 145, was on the backside of the hotel and was extremely quiet. I enjoyed three great nights of uninterrupted rest. The pool area was clean and inviting and the exercise room was well appointed.

The morning breakfast was nicely presented and appetizing with a wide variety of choices.

This property is centrally located on Aquidneck Island with easy access to highways, shopping, restaurants and Newport. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: The hotel is situated on a busy road and the parking is outisde of the rooms on the front side. I e...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown
Courtyard Newport Middletown
Courtyard Newport Middletown
#7 of 18 in Middletown
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport? Share your experiences!