“Good food, nice staff”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The scallops were not the best we've ever had, but the lobster roll was yummy. Loved the coleslaw and the clam chowder. The girl taking orders was fun to chat with and other staff were very nice. We didn't notice until after we bought a bottle of water than you can get ice water and cups out of the white cooler sitting behind the place where you order.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Don't let yourself think that the stuffies and crabcakes in the cooler case are what you will be served in the restaurant...think smaller. The stuffies were a well seasoned stuffing with very little quahog or chorizo and the crabcakes were very flavorful; but very small for $3@. The Portuguese chowder was some of the best I've ever had; though again kind of pricey for the size and being served in a paper cup on formica with paper napkins.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We visited Anthony's twice during our one-week stay in Newport. The kids liked Anthony's chowder the most between Anthony's, Flo's, and the Black Pearl. It is the thickest.
The first time we visited, I tried a number of different dishes that were all good. I tried the clam cakes with the chowder, the stuffie (mild), and the fish sandwich. We also got an $11 bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. The boys loved their LARGE chowders.
The second time we visited, I got the grilled fish sandwich. When it arrived, it had cooled down a bit, so I asked the waitress if they could just throw it back on the grill for a moment to get it warmed up. Moments later she returned to tell me that the manager asked the kitchen to remake it. A few minutes later the manager delivered the sandwich.... which was seriously one of the best fish sandwiches I have ever had. And I love fish sandwiches. The portion of fish was great (the same as the other one I got - so not trying to be super nice or something), the grilled red onion and red pepper mayo on top made it sooo tasty. If you're not happy with something, please tell them and let them make it right.... because they will, and that is what matters. .
This is a well-run establishment, from the top down. The manager was super friendly both times. The first time, with a half hour wait, he spent quite a bit of time giving me the history of the area, the background of why the churico was in certain dishes, etc. I enjoyed that. The second time, not knowing it was me again (I was sitting), he had the kitchen remake my meal. (see above) When I was leaving, I wanted to thank him and ask him a question. He was on the phone so I waved. He put down the phone and came over. Then he spoke with me for a few minutes before going back to his phone call. Long ago I learned that the person in-person is more important than the person on the phone. I am glad that others were taught the same. This is one of the best managers I have encountered. He has done a wonderful job at bringing a true sense of hospitality (albeit low key) through the restaurant.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

WE went to Anthony's on our way to Newport. I my husband googled seafood restaurants in the area and this one had great reviews. I guess they have different standards in RI than in MA because this place was less than impressive. I had crab legs and they were really yuckky. Thank goodness for the butter. My husband got a burger, of course this is a seafood restaurant but he has had some good burgers in seafood restaurants. This food comes on plastic dishes no big deal but what I noticed was the size of the portion. It was tiny. They have a big plastic cooler on the floor with carafes of water which I assume is for customers to take to their table. Now I like tacky seafood places but call me crazy but this is kind of scary to me. The general public has access to my drinking water? I felt the food was overly priced. I had heard there were LINES to get in. We went at noon and there was no problem getting in however it did start to fill up as we left. I just don't know what to say but since I have been to a frew restaurants that were suggested on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and they have all been a bust, I am thinking that Guy Fieri is not a reliable source when it comes to good food!

1  Thank Gary W
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had lunch at Anthony's Seafood as suggested by a family member who had eaten there 2x.
We were seated quickly after we placed our order. Did not expect the lobster roll to be $22., so ended up with the fish and chips. Most of what they serve are fried. My fish was a bit too greasy for my taste. Generally, the seafood was fresh.Waiters were attentive.