“Good meal”

Blue Plate Diner
Ranked #6 of 90 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: American, Diner, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Diner fare with an upscale, unique twist. Casual atmosphere. High quality, homemade food. Local eggs, local seafood, pancakes, waffles, omelets, burgers, sandwiches, salads, steaks and so much more! Local's favorite.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good meal”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We ate here for lunch on a Sunday. It was busy, but our service was very good. I had a spinach salad that was very good, and my husband had the best reuben he's ever had!

Visited October 2011

San Diego, California
“It was so good I had breakfast and dinner here for my entire stay lived here.”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

Outstanding brisket! Same waitress for breakfast for two weeks. Remembered my favorite meals and prepared a to go cup of coffee automatically.

Visited September 2011
Romulus, New York
“Wonderful place to eat !!!!!”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

On a recent visit to Newport, we found this diner in Middletown. Five of us had lunch here and the food, service and atmosphere were great. The following morning the five of us returned for breakfast. Again the service, food and atmosphere were amazing. The diner is clean, bright, comfy. The service was very good, and everyone was very friendly. We would recommend this diner to anyone who visits the area. Also the prices were very reasonable. Stop in and enjoy !!!!!!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Camelot34
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Excellent diner with a sense of humor”
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We went for breakfast and came away happy. Great food, humorous commandments on the wall (e.g. "Thou shalt not worship the golden arches") attentive service and plenty to chose from. Recommended.

• Visited July 2011
Somerset, MA
“Great Atmosphere, Excellent Service, Terrific Food”
Reviewed April 26, 2010

My husband and I live in Somerset, MA, but we go out of our way to go to the Blue Plate Diner in Middletown, RI. I discovered this place a few years ago on my way to Newport Grand with my sister, went back with my husband the next night, and we have gone ever since when we have time for the drive.

The Blue Plate has what I think of as "comfort food." While I always say I'm going to try something else on the menu, I always opt for my old standby, the Black Angus Meatloaf. If a place can do meatloaf right, you know they're good:) That said, I'm always watching the plates wandering by our table and I can't say that I've seen anything that doesn't look absolutely delicious!

They also serve breakfast all day, which my husband says is great (how can you really mess up breakfast, right?). We've had the chicken tender appetizer as well, which is excellent, and we've had the barbecue dipping sauce with it - tangy and sweet - just right!

Other menu items include: Oven-Roasted "Mile High" Turkey Dinner, Fish 'n' Chips, Shepherd's Pie, Old Fashioned Pot Roast, Kicked-Up Mac 'n' Cheese, Pan Seared Cod, Shrimp Scampi, Grilled Delmonico Steak, Prime Rib...they have a wide variety of items on the menu, as you can see, from classic comfort food to steak and seafood dishes.

They also have sandwiches and wraps, soups and salads, burger plates, combo meals, and a bar including beer and wine, specialty drinks, and cocktails.

I'd describe the atmosphere as a throwback to the 50's - from the decor to the way everyone greets you with a smile when you come in the door...maybe a contemporary version of a 50's diner. The word "upscale" comes to mind, but I'm fearful of using it and scaring away the casual crowd!

The atmosphere is casual, but the ingredients are anything BUT! The meatloaf isn't ground chuck tossed with a flavoring mix - it's real ground angus beef with real ingredients. The vegetable is a mix of summer squash, zucchini and carrots and is much tastier than the same mix I've had at other places. The mashed potatoes too are yummy! Our food has always come to the table steaming hot, never the slightest bit cold.

Their web site states that they have "over 100 items under $7.99" and it's no lie. My meatloaf is $10.99, but the portion size is generous. They also offer catering and have a function room that can be used for private events.

Great prices, incredible food, terrific service! I can't say enough good things!