“Better than expected”

Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Baltimore, Maryland
“Better than expected”
Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

Bay Willows Inn is not a $300+/ night hotel chain and will not live up to those expectations, nor should it.
It is an independent motel 15 minutes away from everything in Newport at a fraction of the cost.
We were wary based on other reviews, but we were pleasantly surprised.
It's a clean, comfortable, affordable, pet-friendly place to lay your head while exploring Rhode Island.
We will be back!

Stayed July 2014
4 Thank ChefCasey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 23, 2014

This hotel is the perfect spot for everyone. It is clean, the staff are extremely friendly, welcoming, and accommodating. The price is just right, too, compared to other hotels in the area. For our stay, the breakfast nook was being renovated and the staff gave us all Dunkin Donuts gift cards each day of our 4 day stay. The building is a little old, but they are doing a nice job of making it aesthetically pleasing by putting beautiful flowers all around. Only a five minute drive from downtown Newport and the Navy base, this is the place you want to stay for friendly service at a good price.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank GreenIsGenius
Bayside, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2013

dirty, no maid service, overpriced
Stayed here because there were few available rooms on this weekend
Perhaps , we should have traveled further for a room- this place was filthy with garbage outside and no clean towels next day
and all for a deal of $160 per night ! robbery !

Room Tip: Bettter off going further if this is the only room available -
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lenore L

Travelers are raving about these Middletown hotels

Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Where do I begin? Because we only needed a room for one night (Saturday), this was the only place we could find since everywhere else required a 2-night minimum. We pulled into this establishment around 3:30 in the afternoon and it reminded me distantly of Bate's Motel. Maybe it was the run down look, maybe it was the 'residents' hanging outside their rooms in nightware with butts hanging out of their mouths, maybe it was the shower with no tub and a tiled bathroom that was straight out of the 40's with a floor that I wouldn't walk on barefoot. Nevermind that it took 3 flushes of the toilet to get it right. The room itself appeared to be clean and the kingsized bed was comfortable enough - even had an indoor 'patio' with busted up fake wicker chairs, stained carpeting and a gross sofa that I wouldn't attempt to sit on. Thank goodness the TV and WiFi worked. However, we could not stay any longer than was necessary. We were outta there by 8:30 the next morning and will NEVER be back. This experience was a very painfull one to our wallet since, by comparison, we once stayed in the presidential suite at a hotel in the Boston seaport area for less than this hole in the wall cost! Total rip off.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ctwix
Lunenburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a bachelorette party since it was a bit cheaper than the chain hotels nearby. Never again! The rooms were dirty and seemed like no one has stayed there since 1979. There were no curtains in the bathrooms, the pull out couch had springs poking out of it, luckily we had an air mattress packed. There was waste still in the toilet when we arrived. We did extra towels when we went to the office but they didn't know anything about the continental breakfast.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Lisa M
Albany, New York
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

expedia should not even list this dump. no heat, poor lighting, charged for extra person and not even a real bed. ants, shower leaked, advertised breakfast and did not provide. the list can go on. horrible. tried to check out and they didn't even have a person on duty. attempting to get refund. do not stay here. ever. plus they charged alot.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank ballstonlaker
Seaford, NY
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I travel to the Middletown area about once a month. I like to support family run businesses so when I passed this Inn I had a nostalgic feeling because it looked like a cute little side of the road motel. I thought I knew what I was getting in to when I booked through expedia. The rates were not cheap. $125 per night. We checked in and went to the room. It had a little bit of a musty smell, they must be aware of it because all of the windows were open. The door wouldn't close unless the dead bolt was on, because it was warped. The room itself looked clean and was a good size, with a refridgerator and microwave and a floor lamp for reading in the chair. I noticed there was no hairdryer and remembered my portable one was sitting on the bed at home -I had forgotten to pack it. I went to the desk and asked about a hairdryer and the woman said "sure, are you going out? Is it ok if we leave it in your room while your gone?" That was fine with me, but upon our return, no hairdryer and the office was closed.
The next day we were out for the whole day and returned to unmade beds and our towels on the bathroom floor where we left them. We were only given 2 towels so now we have no dry towels for the morning. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt, maybe there was an emergency-I figured I would go down to the office in the moring before checkout and get clean towels so we could shower before we leave. The next morning I go to the office at 8 then 8:30 then 9 and it is still not open. There are people packing their cars all complaining about the rooms not being cleaned and no towels to take a shower that morning. I gave up, washed as best as I could with the little hand towel to dry and we packed the car. Around 9:40 the office opened and I went to complain to the young girl there. She said the maids come every other day. Then she said you could have come by to get clean towels -I wonder when as she just opened at 9:40 and they close early in the evening. My suggestion-the woman at the front desk should have told us this upon check in-I would have asked for extra towels then, the unmade bed I could have lived with, or made myself.
They do have an arrangement with a little restaurant called Cornucopia for continental breakfast. I knew this ahead and had to ask for the voucher-I don't know if anyone else there got it, because the woman at the desk said "I always forget that" She said she had to make a note to herself to remember. Anyway, Cornucopia is a cute little breakfast place and you can add to the breakfast if you like eggs, pancakes, etc. just pay the difference.
I am going back to Middletown the end of the month, but I won't be returning to Bay Willows.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple