“A Pleasure !”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
new york
“A Pleasure !”
Reviewed October 17, 2006

stayed here columbus day weekend staff very attentive room immaculately clean very safe and quiet far enough from everything but minutes away to everything would definitely stay again thank you very much sea whale for your hospitality

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
boston
Reviewed July 3, 2006

Don't misinterpret the title of my review as a negative. In this age of ever upscale, cold and impersonal so-called Five Star hotels, the Sea Whale was a breath of fresh air that transported me back to the friendly, family-owned motels of my childhood.

I appreciated the owners of the motel who were always on the premises, and were out early in the morning preceding the Fourth of July weekend installing small American flags and red, white and blue pinwheels in the flower boxes that adorned the deck of each guest room. It was no surprise that the premises, both outdoors and inside, were immaculate.

The location is perfect as you can walk to an excellent beach and downtown Newport itself is a mere five minute drive away. The hotel is on a small pond, and if you enjoy bird watching, you can take your early morning coffee out on the deck and see red winged blackbirds and snowy egrets joust for position for their early morning catch. The sea air was rejuvenating and reinvigorating.

A great clamshack was a short walk away. It is called Flo's Clamshack, and while it is known for great fried clams and other fried foods, if you go upstairs to their raw bar, you can indulge in fresh fish that is not fried, such as peel and eat shrimp, oysters or cherrystones on the half shell, crabmeat, and special baked or broiled dishes of the day. Another great restaurant in Newport is called 22 Bowen on Bowen's Wharf in Newport. We also drove to Westport Mass to the Back Eddy restaurant right near Horseneck Beach. There are great liitle trips you can take...Little Compton RI and some of the local vineyards.

I can't wait to go back, in any season, winter or summer. It is also a short distance from great golf at the Newport National golf course. If you enjoy a great low key and relaxing get away, go to the Sea Whale. If, however, you prefer to know the thread count of your bed sheets and expect very high end amenities, there are probably other choices in Newport.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank berkwilliam
Reviewed November 6, 2005

My friend and I stayed at the Sea Whale the Weekend of 11/4/05. I made the reservation based on the reviews from TripAdvisor, and all I can say is, we were not disappointed.

As I was standing in the security line, working my way towards the gate in Philadelphia to catch my 5:00 PM Friday night flight to Providence. My telephone rang. It was Terri, the owner of the Sea Whale, reconfirming the reservation that I had made for the weekend. I appreciated the call.

We arrived at the Sea Whale around 8:00 PM. We met Terri and her husband, Jeff. They live on the property, and the pride of ownership certainly shows. The office was cute and they had plenty of brochures and information for us to begin planning our weekend. They helped us choose a restaurant for dinner, and gave us great directions. They also gave us discounts coupons for the Atlantic Beach Club and told us about the hotel across the street for breakfast.

If possible, try to get an upper floor room as they offer a very nice view. The room was clean and comfortable. We had two adjoining rooms with king beds. There was a full size coffee pot and a good size refrigerator in each of the rooms. There was a pullout sofa and a small table with two chairs. There was coffee, tea, cream and sugar waiting and ready for my morning cup. The upper floor rooms have large sliders that overlook a huge pond. I enjoyed my morning; drinking a cup of coffee and watching the ducks swim on the pond. I found the whole atmosphere very tranquil.

The hotel is not in downtown Newport. However, it is only about a five-minute car-ride away. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit, the hotel and its location.

The next time I’m in Newport, I’ll be sure to stay at the Sea Whale.

• Stayed November 2005
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Columbus OH
Reviewed August 17, 2005

This motel was absolutely perfect. We have been to Newport three or four times and have stayed in "pricier" places but this beats them all. Since we were with two other couples this time, we were trying to find something in the moderate price range. The motel was lovely, the rooms were immaculate, and the location was perfect. The owners were friendly and helpful. We will definitely choose this one again.

• Stayed July 2005
9 Thank bcbcbc
Reviewed July 10, 2005

We have been staying at the Sea Whale for the last five years, even before the present owners took over. The motel is very clean and within walking distance to the beach. We stop on our way to pick up coffee and the newspapers every morning and keep walking right onto the beach. The owners are delightful and very accomodating and they remember us from year to year. If you stay from Monday through Friday, the weekend is thrown in for free. The restaurants within walking distance are very good and quite reasonable during the week. We'll drive into Newport a few times during our stay, but it's very pleasant not to be in the middle of town with all the noise and activity. A very good bargain compared to the other resort prices in the area.

Stayed August 2000
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 20, 2005

This motel is right next to Newport, RI. It has a nice view of Easton's Pond and the cliff walk. The rooms are clean and just fine. It has a nice little balcony to watch to sunset.

We choose to stay in Middleton rather than Newport because the accomodations are less expensive. I choose the Sea Whale based on price and was so happy to find the inn was in walking distance of the Newport Cliff walk and mansions and that the view was nice.

When I saw the other most of the other Middleton chain hotels they were sandwiched in between strip malls and had no view.

For the price this is an excellent place to stay. The owners are nice too.

16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
The Sea Breeze Inn
The Sea Breeze Inn
#8 of 18 in Middletown
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area

Been to Sea Whale Motel? Share your experiences!