“Clean, comfortable motel”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
New England
“Clean, comfortable motel”
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I don't usually stay in motels but Newport was booked this weekend. Found this motel through tripadvisor. The motel room was very clean which is important. You can tell the owner cares about her property. The walls are a bit thin so we could hear our neighbors easily but turning on the room fan helped with that. The room was expensive but I think Newport overall is just expensive.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Napalicoastkauai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Narvon Pa
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Oh my goodness, we loved everything about this motel from the nice lady that checked us in to the location. We had a room in the back ground level with view of the bay. The place is VERY clean, rooms have everything you need, wifi is great, oh and the towels and sheet smell so good...just like fresh laundry. We could see the sunset over the bay from the window in our room. It is within walking distance of the LOTS of restaurants and the beach. Only a mile from the beginning entrance of the Cliff Walks, which we did...all 3.8 miles, and it kicked our butts..haha. Wish we could have stayed longer. We will probably take another trip to Newport, RI and for sure we will see if the Sea Whale has a room available. Great place for the money....Only thing i wish they would have had was some sort of breakfast, but it's obvious they do not have the facilities for that...too bad, because the rest of this place was so homey and comfortable.

Room Tip: Definitely would ask for room in the back.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dmesticgdesspa
Concord, NH
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I'm always skeptical of motels, but this was truly a fantastic place. We stayed here three nights as my husband and I went to the Newport Folk Festival. Hotels in Newport were out of our price range and this was a gem to find! Pride in ownership was demonstrated by little touches like coffeemate for the coffee rather than powdered creamer as well as the bigger aspects such as a very clean and well maintained room. The furnishings, television, refrigerator and microwave were older but well maintained and in working order. The bed was a little uncomfortable but it didn't deter us from the positive experience. Teri, the owner, was available 24-7 if needed and when we did need her she was at the door in minutes and very pleasant and wanting to help! We had a garden room (lower level) which had chairs outside the door to relax in as well as chairs in the finely manicured lawn that overlooked the water (I think it was a giant pond - it was a lovely view). Within walking distance are restaurants, a gas station for snacks, a liquor store, the beach, and the cliff walk. The parking lot seemed to have enough space. We would highly recommend this great value of a motel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JBWE
UK
Reviewed July 6, 2012

From the moment we arrived for a four night stay it was clear that the people who run the Sea Whale take real pride in their work. From the pretty and manicured gardens to the truly spotlessly clean rooms we were impressed eithe the care and attention to detail they demonstrated. A great value, 'mom and pop' motel that we'd definitely recommend.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank HarrogateStray
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 11, 2012

A group of my friends and I stayed at the Sea Whale Motel this weekend and I can only say positive things about this place. Terri, the owner, was amazing. I booked 3 rooms for Sat night and she let us check in early and had the rooms all ready for us when we arrived at noon. We were able to park our cars there and walked to the beach which was less than 5 minutes away. A few of my friends got a little out of hand and night but she was very understanding and never got mad at us. She gave us great tips and recommendations...things to know while you are in Newport. The back yard was beautiful and a great place to hang out and relax…all for a really good price! I'm really glad I booked this trip at the Sea Whale Motel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mai T
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I know I am late posting my review and I apologize, but I wanted to let everyone know how great this place was. The value was excellent for the location. It had a great view and was within walking distance of some restaurants, the beach and the cliff walk. The rooms were clean and comfortable with a nice sitting area. It was great to have the screen door open with the breeze blowing into the room. We sat on the deck in the evenings and enjoyed the view. Teri and Jeff were great hosts that gave us great advice on what to see and do (plus brochures and coupons) and checked on us throughout our stay to make sure everything was ok. We would definitely go back to the Sea Whale and highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a great view with screen doors and a nice deck to relax on.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank moonjelly
Llano, California, United States
Reviewed April 27, 2012

It's so nice to read all of the complimentary reviews of the Sea Whale Motel. My husband and I are originally from the island and now reside in California. We've stayed at the motel twice; once for my Middletown High 30th year class reunion and another time for my husband's youngest son's wedding. Five years later, youngest son and wife are going to have their first baby in June, so we'd like to book a room again for the visit in August or September 2012....THAT's how much we love the Sea Whale. The Sea Whale is so darn charming in every sense of the word. It's also nice I can see so many of my childhood/young adult haunts right outside the door. First Beach, Memorial Blvd., Cliff Walk Manor, the pond, etc. The location is great because it's so centralized that you can take a four minute walk and get the greatest food at Flo's or the old Johnny's House of Seafood (I'm afraid I am unable to recall its current name.) Not far from Second Beach, either.
All of the other reviewers are right-on about the owners. They love their guests and go out of their way to make certain that everything is in order. They can tell you about any island function going on during your stay and recommend the best places to eat, drink, party, or sight see. They're abreast of any church functions, boat show, festivals, or flea markets going on during your stay.
Another nice feature is the parking. You don't have to park on the street. When you drive behing the motel, you have parking right outside of your room and can see your vehicle from your room if you have concerns about that kind of thing.
I encourage any visitor to Aquidneck Island to book the Sea Whale the next time they're in town.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Atlantic Beach Hotel
#15 of 18 in Middletown
Quality Inn & Suites Middletown - Newport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown

Been to Sea Whale Motel? Share your experiences!