All reviewshistoric buildingfire pithot tubacross the streetthe cliffrooftop deckoff seasonocean viewliving roomwe stayed in a two bedroomwasher dryerflo's clam shackfull kitcheneaston's beachgreat roomindoor poolfitness center
Reviewed February 1, 2010

Stayed for New Years with the gf but have been here before with college friends and had good experiences both times. In Newport, there's no need to be eating in the hotel (great restaurants abound in this fair city) so I can comment only on the room, which was very nice. The 1BR suites have a full kitchen minus an actual oven (electric cooktop and toaster oven) which served us just fine, whereas the 2BR suites include a full oven. The 1BR suite was more than spacious enough for 2 and we enjoyed the spa tub. Service was almost immediate, as I called for a wine opener and towels in 2 separate inquiries, and very pleasant. The rooftop hot tub and firepit were closed due to inclement weather but llooked awesome. We used to stay only at the Newport Marriott but will certainly be staying here from now on.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I stayed at this hotel a few times that I visited Newport over the past several years. I truly wish I hadn't. The only reason we kept going back is bec of it's good location and they have 2 bedroom suites w/bathroom in between, which many hotels do not have. With that said, my visit there in Oct 2008 will surely be my last. Why? Because on my last visit, I shared the room with BED BUGS ! Yes, the other times I did not have this problem, but this last time, it was AWFUL. I woke up in the morning & was like "what the hell is this? ! " No wonder I had tossed & turned during the night. As if that isn't bad enough, one morning, very early around 7 am, the fire alarm went off. Woke up everybody in the hotel I am sure. I call the front desk, they nonchalantly say "something set it off & the fireman are on there way." No apology, and didn't remotely try to compensate as I checked out. Also, the continental breakfast leaves something to be desired. Don't go here, there is a much better hotel nearby in Middletown, R.I.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
srnhg, Owner at Newport Beach Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2010

Dear swttraveler7,

Thank you for your feedback about the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites.

Since your last visit was in 2008, I wanted to make you aware that since that time we have completely renovated the entire hotel and added an all suites building directly across from the historic hotel. Our property now contains a brand new fitness center and spa, an indoor pool and hot tub, a rooftop Jacuzzi and firepit, the Ocean Bar and Grille restaurant, and two renovated meeting/event rooms.

The rooms in the historic hotel feature new furniture, bedding with imported linens and duvets, 37” flat panel LCD televisions, MP3 players with iPod docking stations, new carpet, wallpaper, draperies, wood blinds, lighting and artwork. All of our rooms receive Direct TV with HD satellite programming. Bathrooms are furnished with white Carrera marble floors, wooden vanities with granite tops, modern lighting, new mirrors, and increased storage space for guest amenities.

The 26 suites in our suites building have water views, experienced through floor-to-ceiling windows and juliet balconies in the living room and master bedroom. Modern kitchens feature granite countertops, upscale stainless steel appliances, wood floors, and washer/dryers. Oversized baths contain walls of glass overlooking the water, floors, tub and shower surrounds finished in rich white Carrera marble, deep soaking whirlpool tubs, and residential wood vanities with granite tops.

We deeply regret the fact that you experienced bedbugs in our hotel during your visit several years ago. Unfortunately, situations like this do arise on rare occasion. In the last five years, the resurgence of bed bugs has been a plague on our industry. It is now well-documented that bedbugs are brought to hotels by guests whose previous residences have been infected. After a thorough examination of all of our hotel rooms, it was determined that the room you were originally assigned was the only guest room with a pest issue.

While we cannot prevent such occurrences, our response is swift and exceedingly thorough. In accordance with our strict policy, once we find a problem during a routine inspection or have it brought to our attention, we promptly put the standard operating procedure in effect. We immediately contact our extermination company and place the room out of order so that it can not be sold. All of the linen in the room is thrown away, as is the mattress and box spring. The room receives an initial extermination and is kept out of order for two weeks, as this is the incubation period for new bugs. After two weeks, the room is exterminated again to ensure that no new bugs may still be viable. The following day the room is completely inspected and thoroughly cleaned. At that point, we bring in the new box spring and mattress along with the new linen. The room mentioned in this review was completely exterminated and all items replaced. We also inspected and treated all surrounding rooms to ensure that there is no chance of resurgence in another room. Our exterminator returned several times, and all of the items formerly in the room have been either sanitized or disposed of. The other rooms in our property have been examined for evidence of the problem, and none showed any evidence of bedbugs. To be extra certain, however, we have also sanitized and treated these rooms. We have rigorous cleaning and sanitation standards in this hotel. I mention all of this to show the lengths that we go through to alleviate these situations from re-occurring or spreading to another room.

While I would like to state that this will never happen again in our hotel, like every other hotel in the world, I am unable to offer this guarantee. I can promise you that we take preventative measures, as well as swift and thorough action, to deal with any problems that do occur.

As you can see, we’ve been working hard to improve the hotel since your last visit. Our guests are exceptionally pleased with the results, and we think that you will be as well. We hope that you will return to the Newport Beach Hotel & Suites to experience this newly renovated property.

Reviewed January 31, 2010

I came during the off season when prices are much lower ($109), and found it to be a charming, warm place to stay. The staff were friendly, the rooms (I was in the historic portion vs the suites across the street) were clean and cozy. The bar in the lobby was convenient, the drinks were strong, but a bit overpriced (although prob the norm for Newport). The highlight was the rooftop firepit overlooking the water. There was a jacuzzi up there also, but boarded up due to the cold. We would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2010

My wife and I chose this hotel because the rooms have a mini-kitchen - and we wanted to prepare our own food. We were amazing with the high quality of the rooms, and the amenities that were available.

Everything was of a high quality, including beautiful bathrooms with separate shower and jet tub, flat screen TVs with DVD players in each room, great beds/linens, and lots more. It also had a full refrigerator, sink, stove, toaster oven and kitchen tools. The Washer and Dryer in the room was very convenient for when we went swimming just before leaving.

The hotel as a whole was amazing. The only negative experience we had was the our room wasn't ready when we showed up (at 4PM), but they immediately upgraded us from a 1-bedroom suite to a 2-bedroom suite!

We booked the 1-bedroom suite for $169 a night, and it was totally worth it. It's reasonably close to all of the major tourist sites, but you do need a car. Can't walk to much except the beach and the Cliff Walks.

We totally recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Newport - especially in the Winter when you will be driving around anyway.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2010

We stayed in a one room suite in the new suites building. The room was quite nice. Separate bedroom, very large bathroom and nice living room with a small kitchen, couch, and table and chairs. It also had a big flat screen TV with DirectTV and a DVD player. As far as the interior of the room, we were quite pleased.

We used the indoor pool and hot tub - a nice touch was a huge flat screen TV to enjoy some football while in the hot tub. Though we stayed in the winter, we were disappointed that the roof top hot tub and fire were not in use, they were advertised as all season. I can imagine in nicer weather the roof being quite nice. Note, both the roof top hot tub and indoor hot tub/pool were in the suites building, so if you stay in the older building you would need to walk outside to use them.

As for the service, we had a few disappointments. First when we arrived, we were given the key to a room that wasn't cleaned. I figured it was a mistake and when I went to the front desk to remedy the issue I asked perhaps for a room on the 3rd or 4th floor, as the first one was on the 2nd floor (which is basically the 1st floor of rooms, as below is the parking area). I was told there were no rooms on either the 3rd or 4th floors that we could stay in for our whole stay of 3 nights. I found this really hard to believe being a winter weekend in Newport and would think we would take priority as a 3 night stay over someone arriving later for only a night or two.

The first solution offered to us was a larger suite, 2 bedrooms, but on the other side of the building, not facing the pond as I had booked. While the room was bigger, this room felt like being right in the parking lot and road. If you want a view in this hotel and not to feel like you are sitting in the parking lot and main road, you need to be on at least the 3rd floor. When I called down, they were able to find a room on the pond side, though still on the 2nd floor. But even on the pond side, on the 2nd floor, we still had a bit of parking lot. An aggravating point on all this, was that during checkout another person was complaining about the noise in the room above them - and the front desk person apologized for the people staying there who were walk-in guests (remember they told me no rooms were available on the upper floors).

Another issue we had was that we went out for the day around 10am and got back to the room at 430pm and it hadn't been cleaned yet. When I called down, they said they were behind and the maids finally maid it up around 5pm. It was annoying to not come back to a clean room.

All and all, I'd say it was a nice hotel a decent price and quite convenient to Newport. Just be weary when you are booking of which floor you end up on and know that the service may be less than stellar.

Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple