“Beautiful historic hotel with a view of the beach”

Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed at the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites on December 19th so that we could go to the Newport mansions to see the Christmas decorations. I decided on the hotel after reading some reviews and booked it on Expedia.com. Our rate was excellent: under $100 for the night. We stayed in the main hotel. We actually had two bedrooms connected by a very modern, updated bathroom. The bedding and towels were new and clean. There were refrigerators and microwaves in both rooms. There's even an IPOD dock alarm clock. We walked along the beach and had an early dinner at the Atlantic Beach Club across the street. We walked along cliff walk and stopped for a ridiculously over-priced cocktail at the Chanler. Newport at this time of year was wonderful, uncrowded, lacking the hustle and bustle of the summer season. We asked the very friendly and kind front desk clerk if we could take a quick look at the suites across the street. WOW! Easily one of the nicest hotel suites I have ever seen, truly beautiful, lots of attention to detail. I would highly recommend a romantic getaway this winter to Newport and a stay at the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites.

Reviewed December 26, 2009

Newport Beach Hotel & Suites its a nice clean place, but not a 3.5 star. Its more like fort / Quality inn. Maybe a 2 + star. The Bar & restaurant was closed. ( Open only part time on weekends ) Crappy continental breakfast for $7.50 so we had breakfast up the street. Rooms were new and clean. Even though only 15 rooms were filled they charged us a upgrade fee for an ocean view, Its a few miles from Downtown Newport. Free parking and the price was right but not a 3.5 star

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
srnhg, Owner at Newport Beach Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2010

Dear levitonjl,

Thank you for your review of the Newport Beach Hotel & Suites. We greatly appreciate receiving feedback from our guests.

As you stated in your review, all of our rooms have been recently renovated. They feature new carpet, furnishings and lighting, large LCD monitors with HDTV, ipod alarm clocks, and marble bathrooms. In addition to the historic building, where you stayed, the Newport Beach Hotel & Suites has a newly built all-suites building featuring one and two bedroom suites which also contain these amenities. Each suite also offers an in-room washer and dryer, functional granite kitchen with full size coffee maker, and separate living area. We have many rooms with ocean views at the property.

We are very excited about our recently opened restaurant, the Ocean Bar and Grille. Like many restaurants in Newport, we do have seasonal hours. During the winter, we offer continental breakfast. For a larger menu of breakfast options, we suggest walking across the street to the popular Atlantic Grille, which is well loved by local Newport residents and many of our guests. In addition to our restaurant, our property offers an indoor pool and Jacuzzi, a rooftop Jacuzzi and firepit, laundry machines, spa facilities, and a workout room with state-of-the-art equipment.

We hope that you will join us again at the Newport Beach Hotel & Suites.

Reviewed December 15, 2009

What a lovely place. After spending Thanksgiving at one of their other hotels, my husband and I decided to try this hotel for a long weekend. We hadn't been to Newport in years, but other than the mansions getting more expensive (but still well worth the tour) everything was just as we remembered. This hotel is very well located near the Cliff Walk and mansions. There are many restaurants around. We had a room in the historic building, which was very quaint and lovely. Our room, although not huge, had a beautiful ocean view and very comfortable beds. I could snuggle in that comforter all day! As someone who gets colds all winter long, I also appreciated the purell in the bathroom and hotel lobby. The rate was only $99 for this hotel. I would strongly recommend it and we will be back in the summer.

Reviewed December 2, 2009

I am very impressed with this hotel and would highly recommend it. My room is extremely large and nicely appointed with wood furniture and huge windows that overlook a stunning beach view. I have been using the wireless internet in my room (free!) but there are also two computers in the lobby which are convenient for quick email checks. Unfortunately the restaurant is closed for dinner, but the breakfast is pretty good and reasonable ($7). The gym is very nice and looks like nobody would ever use it. My only complaint is that they have those wimpy travel hair dryers in the bathroom that take like four hours to dry your hair and are not even worth the time. Why do hotels always put those?? There is a large jacuzzi in my room with jets which I was not expecting, so that is a nice surprise. The front desk staff could not be nicer and have been very helpful with suggestions for everything from food to a pharmacy. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I have told my husband that we should come back for a romantic vacation weekend. What a deal!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed December 2, 2009

Traveling to Newport RI off-season, this hotel offered the best value at a great location.
While it's about a mile away from downtown, it's located across the street from the beach.
We stayed in the "historic hotel" [instead of the newer suites]. In the hotel, it appears that all of the rooms have been renovated and include a microwave and refrigerator.

On our first night, we stayed in a room that overlooked a side street. That was fine.
When we asked about upgrading to a room with a water view, we were given a room on the fourth floor with an amazing view of Easton's beach for $10 a night more. We jumped at the chance. It is heavenly!

Most important, the staff here is enthusiastic and helpful -- we hope to come back soon.

Reviewed November 29, 2009

We stayed on a Priceline "win" ($50) for one night and paid an extra $10 for an ocean view upgrade in the historic section. Wow - absolutely worth it. Huge corner room with fridge and microwave. We stayed on Thanksgiving day and ate dinner at the hotel bar/bistro. Great serving staff in the bar - food was OK, drinks were strong.

The front desk staff was young and clueless and gave us wrong information and driving directions. Never did figure out the operation of the Direct TV hookup. Couldn't turn on the radio, either, no matter what buttons we pushed. No wireless access in our corner room on the 4th floor - we had to go to the lobby to access the WiFi. Pointless, since they had two computers available for guests.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2009

This was the second time our entire family stayed here, and my second review of it. We love this hotel! We love everything about it: location, decor, amenities, and staff. It's staff is efficient and helpful - yet unobtrusive. Only relatively minor downside for us, the housekeeping timetable. Apparently, we slept through the time where the rooms are made up...and it didn't seem as if housekeeping checks again later. Therefore, we didn't get our rooms made up or freshened up for the length of our 3-night stay. Instead, a paper was left under our door indicating that we had the door set to "privacy," so our room could not be made up; and that if we wished, we could contact the desk for towels, etc. - which we did, as often as needed. Also, my husband was able to get a staff member (an extremely pleasant, extremely helpful young man named "Yuri") to cart our garbage away. Still, it would have been nice to have gotten our rooms freshened up at least once during our stay. My sons also said that they were pretty sure that they had taken the "privacy" off before going out to breakfast the first morning, and returned to find it on the door, with the room unmade and the same notice under the door. I am rating this as a service issue, and not a cleanliness issue, because the hotel is, as a whole, immaculate. Perhaps the housekeeping staff is making its rounds a bit too early overall, though? Perhaps there could be some type of room check in the afternoons, as well? With that said: we still really love this hotel! We stayed in the renovated historic building last. This time our adult sons opted to stay there again because they loved their room, and loved the view. We shared a two-bedroom suite with other family members, in the new addition. Our suite was incredible! We especially loved the bathrooms. The water pressure in the beautiful glass shower stalls was perfect. The entire suite was beautifully appointed. I could easily live there! We also had the gorgeous view, once again. The view is the main thing that attracted us to this hotel in the first place. Yes - you have to cross the street to get to the beach. Yes - the sign out front says "Middletown." It's not a big deal! Truly! The exterior of this hotel is charming, and looks like what I want from this locale: concentrated New England, nautical charm. It is convenient to everything. It is not like you have to walk blocks and blocks to get to the shore. You have only but to cross the street, and walk through the now nicely landscaped park. My husband has health issues which make it difficult for him to walk very far at all. He was more than happy to take a quick stroll over to the beach with me. Location? As for the sign out front, arguably the hotel is in Middletown, but it seems to be right at the dividing line. This is not an issue for me. I reside in an outlying borough, but still consider myself a New Yorker. I love this hotel's close proximity to anything I am interested in visiting. The beginning of Cliff Walk is just slightly up the road. Most of all, though, I truly love this hotel...love its set-up...love the quiet feel of it. Also, this time we did not go out and about as much. I was content just enjoying the view from my room, and making use of the pool and fitness center. Unfortunately, the fitness center is in the historic portion, so it required stepping outside and crossing the street each way, to and from. This was not a problem for me, even in November. For someone else - especially in Winter - this might present a problem after working up a real sweat. As I said, though, for me it was not a real problem. Our family only got to order breakfast from the hotel's restaurant, but it was definitely impressive. We ordered a smorgasbord of items, to be shared in our room. Everything was first rate! I hope to return and actually try dinner - as the menu prices were, to us, quite reasonable. I cannot state enough times just how much I love this hotel. Would I love it this much if it were not surrounded by the gorgeous views? I think that I honestly still would!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Comfort Inn Middletown
Comfort Inn Middletown
#14 of 18 in Middletown
Cambria Hotel & Suites Newport

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!