“Gem is an understatement! This IS a precious jewel!”

Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
NY
“Gem is an understatement! This IS a precious jewel!”
Reviewed August 1, 2009

On my first trip to Rhode Island for an Air Show, I did not know what hotels to look at other than the name-brand. This is not Montauk which I am accustomed to. So in my search for reasonable hotels I came across this hotel. Boy did I hit the jackpot! The hotel felt like luxury hotel with it's lovely rooms, great beds, wonderful, clean, soft sheets and a staff to be complimented over and over again. My husband and I did not expect much when we checked in but to our surprise: WOW. I felt like we were in a room out of a catalogue. The oceanview out of our window was very nice.
It's close enough to visit the mansions (which by the way is a MUST SEE) and right near the heart of it all. We ate at a local bar and grill which was better than a restaurant in the main section of town. Next time I will go to the White Horse Tavern. Rhode Islanders are wonderful couteous people. I recommend this hotel and look forward to go back in October for the Octoberfest.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Highland Beach, Fl
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Let's get the negative out of the way, first. Yes, the picture of the suite portion of the hotel is placed in a more pastoral setting than is reality. Since I Google-earthed the hotel beforehand I was not surprised nor disappointed that the hotel was in more of a neighborhood setting.

Here are all of the pluses upon which we and our friends agreed: the main hotel where we stayed has been completely refurbished and it is in tip top condition...from the lobby to all of the rooms. The room, including bathroom, was immaculate. The beds and the pillows were very comfortable, and there was also a new flat-screen tv on the wall.

The staff were very helpful and polite. The location of the hotel is literally 5 minutes from downtown Newport; therefore; you are paying hundreds less for just being a stone's-throw away from all of the sight seeing and restaurants.

For breakfast I would strongly suggest taking a 2-minute walk up the street to the
Atlantic Beach restaurant. It is where the locals eat and the food was superb and plentiful. The hotel serves a nice breakfast also but it just can't compare to the
Atlantic.

If we ever go back to Newport we would definitely stay there again.

HSS

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
New York
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The hotel is just across from the main beach...a very busy one in the middle of the summer....but a beach very kid friendly with all sorts of things for them to do (although the rest of Newport is generally less kid friendly).

I stayed in the older hotel...that was remodeled...with not much of a view (looked at fireescape). The roof top fireplace and hot tub was very nice with a great view. The pool was very small...enough just for a few folks at best.

The desk staff were very nice, although not empowered by their new corporate owners to address any issues. Issues like the cleaning staff were not so good (when I entered the room, the fridge was full of someones left overs, and the pillow had stains on..I hope were from the chocolates...I left the pillow aside to let the cleaning staff see it needs to be clean...they just put it back on the bed).

The hotel was at most a 5 min drive from the center of Newport which I thought was not a good thing until I realized how noisy that part of town is and this hotel was in a much quieter area which I would have preferred anyway.

Their bar downstairs was quite good and undersold.

I recommend you dont say in the old hotel and stay in the new suites if you like the modern larger marriott style hotels. Not saying the old hotel is bad, just small and all the good parts (pool, desk and such are in the suites side..across the street!). I paid 327 a night for the non-suite old hotel room.

New York
Reviewed July 26, 2009

My wife and I were floored by how the reality of this hotel didn't match the web site. We made the mistake of booking the hotel for a week after viewing the hotel's web site. When we got there we found the hotel (the old building), wedged between two busy roads. In fact, the road between the hotel and the water was packed with bumper to bumper traffic all backed up for almost a mile. Across the street was a green area wedged between a loud bar/catering hall and a parking lot for a town beach. We literally sat on a wall overlooking the traffic and started contemplating how long were were going to stay - 5 days wasn't looking like fun. Worse yet, we asked via the on line booking feature of the web site not to be located near the stairway or the elevator. The hotel responded by locating us precisely between the elevator and the stairwell. We could literally reach out of our door and press the elevator button. As soon as we checked in, my wife asked the desk agent to be moved.....they responded that they couldn't move us. After 4 nights without sleep due to the combination of loud traffic in the hall waiting just outside our door, traffic outside the building and the constant light in the room from the blinds doing nothing to dim the room, we finally decided to end our vacation early and go home. Upon checking out, the girl at the front desk offered me a suite in the new building. Nice....but far too late. Too bad they didn't respond to my wife (who was as sweet as they come on the in house phone). Realisitcally, the room was nicely appointed although tiny - and they NEED room darkening shades. The hotel is wedged in between a busy road and a VERY busy road. Getting to the beach requires a death defying act of crossing the busier of the two roads. Newport itself is wonderful...but this hotel is not in Newport, it's located in Middletown across the street from a park/parking lot and down the road from a beach where the breaking waves turn brown and the sand is dusty at best (we literally were swallowing sand just trying to sit on the beach with the wind). The renovations were very nice, but the web site is super misleading. As for the roof top hot tub and firepit on the new building.....it's large enough to accomodate about a dozen people. The staff is very friendly and the restaurant is really quite good. Would I go there for dinner - yes. Would I go to the hotel for a nice classical Newport experience....absolutely not. I just can't recommend this hotel for a beach vacation. It beats the econolodge, but it's simply not what it's billed to be.

1 Thank CGHG
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 23, 2009

I am a business traveler with a meeting in Newport this week. I booked this hotel after reading the nice reviews on this site and I must say that it was well worth it. I found it quiet with great service, beautiful views, a great bed and a delicious spinach salad available at the restaurant (warm bacon dressing- yes please)! My shower was also extraordinarily nice. The gym is brand new and very nice (not very big but I can only use one thing at a time!!!) I did not have time to go to the beach but there were lots of travelers borrowing beach towels in the lobby and coming back with red noses. I would recommend this hotel for both business and leisure.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My sister and I stayed here when I was unexpectedly called to the east coast. It's a really beautiful hotel with a view straight onto the beach. Everything is nice and new, but doesn't feel like if you touch it, it would break. It's basically a place that looks like my imaginary beach house. I had the Portuguese French Toast for breakfast one morning and it was ridiculously good - warm french toast stuffed with sweet cheese...mmm. Unlike most hotels, the coffee here is good too.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Watertown, CT
Reviewed July 22, 2009

My husband and I have only great things to say about this hotel. We stayed in a brand new suite with a pond view (I think it's even prettier than the ocean with the seagrass and swans). Our suite was beautifully equipt and you could tell that a lot of expense and time was spent on these rooms. THere were lots of outlets everywhere, which my husband loves because we have so much technology with us that has to be plugged in, charged, etc. The outdoor hot tub was gorgeous, with a lovely view and a nice area for sitting by the fireplace. There were not any other people out there when we used it, so we had the entire deck to ourselves. The fried clams at Flo's next door were just like we remembered- I can hardly believe the place is still open after all these years! We also rented a cabana by the beach from the hotel, which was well worth the small fee. We had an umbrella, beach chairs and use of the showers, whcih is nice if you go in the water, even though the hotel is just across the street from the beach anyway. My husband and I arranged for a couples massage in our hotel room, which was very relaxing. This hotel was well worth the price and we will definitely beback.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hotel Viking
The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Atlantic Beach Hotel
Atlantic Beach Hotel
#15 of 18 in Middletown

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!