“Great Hotel- amazing renovation”

Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
California
“Great Hotel- amazing renovation”
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Wow, I cannot believe how much this hotel has improved since my husband and I stayed here in 2002. It is like an entirely new place- new carpet, new lobby, new pool and spa-- and that's only what I remember. We have a huge suite across from the lobby with a gorgeous kitchen (if I could only convince my husband to get me that GE dishwasher!), , ocean view in both directions, and two bedrooms. My younger daughter is staying in the second bedroom of the suite. For $400/night this sort of luxury is a total steal- we were quoted $240/night for a regular room at another hotel in Newport (which shall remain nameless) and then we would have needed two rooms. This way, our daughter has privacy but we are all together and she can't stay out all night! For food, the breakfast at the hotel is delicious and Scales and Shells on Thames is as good as ever. I highly highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank Kinderteach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 16, 2009

Newport Beach Hotel & Suites
In your restaurant I found great eats
In the hot tub I dipped my feets
I slept between your soft cotton sheets
On my pillow rested some sweets
Across the street I went to the beach
I wish the weather had offered more heats
With your ipod alarm clock I played some beats
Your cleaning staff was very neats
If you were a girl I'd ask for your deets
I can hardly wait until we meets
again

1 Thank surflynn
Mystic, CT
Reviewed June 12, 2009

I have never written on the internet before, but my daughter showed me how to search for hotels on tripadvisor. We picked the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites from a lot of choices for my wife and I to spend a few days relaxing. My wife is in a wheelchair and has a bit of trouble getting around. The front desk clerk immediately asked if we would need help with our bags and arranged to have them brought to our room. They were able to give us a handicapped room with the largest and nicest shower I have ever seen. The hotel has elevators and we were right next to one. After we settled in the front desk even called to make sure we did not need any other special tools for the handicapped. No troublesome stairs to navigate. We were able to dip our legs in the hot tub, which is very good for circulation. There were a lot of kids around at the pool but everyone was very nice and it was not too much screeching. The restuarant at the hotel had an excellent burger and the prices were not too bad although it is still a hotel. The room was $169, which is very good value. Newport is a very cute town with lots of stuff to do. We will definitely return, hopefully with our kids and grandkids.

Reviewed June 12, 2009

With two young kids and a husband to boot, a solid week of rain could have completely ruined our beach vacation. Thank goodness we booked a room at the Newport Beach Hotel & Suites. Our two bedroom suite had plenty of room for the kids to run around and the indoor pool and jacuzzi was a lifesaver. On Wednesday, my husband got a massage in the hotel spa in the morning while I watched the kids. Then he took over and I had the afternoon to go outlet shopping in Wrentham, Mass, where the deals were amazing (Barneys, Polo, etc). Irina at the front desk knew all the places that the kids would like to eat (Red Parrot on Thames is GREAT with kids). We made lunch right in our suite, which had a full stove and some cooking supplies. Irina directed us to Stop and Shop for spaghetti-os, which made our kids beyond elated (I don't let them eat them at home). At the advice of the hotel, we were able to drop our kids off at day camp at a local golf club one day, so they got to meet a few other kids and run off some of that energy (expensive but worth it). Even though we were stuck inside for much of the week, we were able to see the beach from our room and had plenty to do right here. What a great place for families-- we can't wait to come back for beach weather.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank uwsmommy
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 11, 2009

I don't know what the woman below is talking about. The staff at this hotel could not be more gracious if they tried and this is fantastic value. I have been staying here all week and my room is huge and great value ($149 for a one bedroom suite with a beach view, kitchen, free coffee, marble bathroom, everything looks brand new). The front desk people have already learned my name and have helped me with everything from printing directions to restaurant suggestions for a solo traveler. I come to Newport regularly for business and I must say that this is a huge improvement over other big hotels like the Hyatt downtown. They have a new restuarant that just opened where I got a very good baked cod with stuffing. Plus, who wouldn't want to be next to the best clam shack in New England (go to Flo's. You will not regret it). I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank bloomers09
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 8, 2009

My wife and I just returned from a very pleasant stay at the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites. I am writing this review to recognize the hotel for a wonderful experience, but also to alert potential guests to what I perceive to be some serious false advertising by the hotel.

First the positives, since there were many. My wife and I stayed in the largest room available in the new suites building -- an immense two-bedroom suite with a nice view of the ocean. The room was beautifully decorated, clean, quiet, and had three plasma TVs with DirecTV. The bathrooms were gorgeous. The service was consistently excellent. The rates were reasonable.

Despite this wonderful experience, the hotel's website borders on the fraudulent. As recognized by another commenter, the primary photo of the hotel on the hotel's website is heavily doctored. The hotel situated next to a very busy street. Telephone poles and other visual blemishes have been edited out of the picture. I was disappointed to see that the hotel responded to this commenter by stating that the photo was a "real" photo. It is not.

Even more serious is the fact that this hotel is not located in Newport. The hotel's website falsely states that the hotel is located in Newport. The hotel's website lists its address as "Corner of Memorial Boulevard and Wave Avenue, Newport, RI, 02840." The hotel is indeed at the corder of Memorial Blvd. and Wave Ave, but that's in Middletown, zip 02842, not Newport, zip 02840. Yes the hotel is only a few hundred yards from the border of Newport, but having a misleading address causes other problems. For example, I was exasperated when trying to enter the Newport address provided by the hotel into my GPS device. I had to call the hotel for directions, and only after pressing the issue did I discover that the "street address" was actually in Middletown. Several other hotels are very close to the Newport border -- such as the Comfort Suites located right next to the Newport Beach Hotel and Suites -- but those hotels manage to be honest about their actual location. I hope no guest is ever in the position of having to call an ambulance or other emergency services and having confusion over the actual address of the hotel delay needed emergency services.

In sum, I loved the hotel, but the hotel really needs to change its website to be less misleading.

1 Thank Traveler9876543
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 31, 2009

Location:
This hotel is located about 1 mile from Thames st. and just a few miles from the mansions. Also within talking distance to a few nice beaches and the Cliff Walk (3.5 mile walk along cliffs of the ocean). Hotel not in the heart of downtown but still a great locaton for the money.

Rooms:
We stayed in the newly added suites. The room far exceeded what I had in mind; to be honest I didn't realize I had booked a suite. Both the living room and bedroom had 37" LG flat screen tv's with DirectTV. The kitchenette had a larger-than-expected refrigerator/freezer, a small dishwasher, a full-size microwave oven, a toaster oven and a 2-burner stove top. The cabinets were also equipped with wine glasses and some plates and silverware. We were only there for one night so did not use any of it, but we were impressed.

The bathroom was also very nice. Pretty blue striped wallpaper reinforced the nautical feel. The bathtub had jets for a relaxing bath at the end of the day.

The bedroom had a king-size bed with very plush, comfortable linens, and a good sized closet. As mentioned earlier, the bedroom also had a 37" LG flatscreen with DirectTV.

Other amenities:
Whirlpool, spa, fitness center, pool. I cannot speak to these because we did not utilize them. The cafe across the street (part of the hotel) also served a continental breakfast (free to hotel guests). The breakfast consisted of an assortment of cereals, bananas, bagels, muffins and juices.

Service:
There was an incident with customers in the next room down from ours. It was a wedding party and they were partying until the very wee hours of the morning and were very loud and inconsiderate. They woke us up at 2am and we called the front desk to complain. Long story short they gave the group several opportunities to quiet down but ultimately had to ask them to leave. In our opinion, the staff handled the situation as best they could and although we lost some sleep we are not holding it against the hotel, nor is the incident factored in to my rating of the hotel.

Summary:
Good location, very nice room, comparable price to other area hotels, good service, good breakfast. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Comfort Inn Middletown
Comfort Inn Middletown
#14 of 18 in Middletown
The Chanler at Cliff Walk

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!