“Don't believe everything you read.”

Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Watertown, CT.
“Don't believe everything you read.”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I am happy I didn't read their reviews before I went to this hotel because I might have changed my mind. We had a girls getaway weekend and I could not have been happier with the service and location of this hotel. We had a 2 bedroom corner suite and it was amazing. They thought of everything! The room had a washer and dryer a dishwasher and even dishes! We loved the ambiance of the room so much we decided to eat in the first night. The rooms and the bathroom were immaculate and the roof top spa was heavenly (wish I was there right now!) Whatever this hotel is doing they are giving 110% and it reflects in the way they treat their guests from check in to check out and I have not one complaint. I read some of the negative reviews and all I can say is "you get what you pay for". If you want to save money, stay across the street. If you are looking for a very relaxing getaway, this is the place to go. and it's worth every penny!!

Room Tip: 2 Bedroom Corner Suite
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank metinky

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We arrived on a Monday and upon checking in, we were told that the pool and both jaccuzi's were not working and then when we asked about the bar/restaurant on the property- we were told it is only open during the weekend. We had a room in the historic building, which my bedroom at home was bigger. No mention of the maintance on the website of the pools or that the restaurant is not open during the week. The bed also has seen better days.......way to soft. I had a coupon for this hotel, so I think what I paid was worth it, but not a penny more. We checked out at 7:00am after a sleepless night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank barbie2008

Travelers are raving about these Middletown hotels

Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel advertises a pool, hot tub, and breakfast. However, when we checked in the first weekend in May and asked we were told that the pool and hot tub were down for maintenance (for the forseeable future). We were also told the following morning that breakfast was not provided off season. We asked what they could do for us and they said since we purchased it on hotwire there was nothing they could do. The television in the room was also very strange and we lost the signal completely (luckily after the Ranger game!). Also, the bed was very soft and uncomfortable. Not a good experience!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the "historic" building!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Stayed in the Historic Building and Wow was it small .The bathroom was the smallest bathroom I ever seen . The room looked clean the bed was comfortable .The comforter was dirty and the walls are thin ! I would not go back.

Room Tip: Don`t go .
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Canton, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 6, 2014

What a great hotel for a rainy week-end get away. The rooms were spacious,comfortable and clean. The view of the pond was lovely. The in-door pool and jacuzzi were just right. Even the roof-top hot tub in the rain was fun! This hotel is on my short list for a return visit in the fall.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Maura B
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Rooms and Hotel are nice. But seems to be many things going haywire in this place. Battery's running out on the electronic lock to the pool door which means your card wont work until its fixed. Pool was warm but cloudy, the in door hot tub was really foamy also cloudy. The pool and hot tub were closed all day Saturday "for maintenance" that sucked as the big draw for us was our kids getting to swim. The people in the room next to us had to move as the heat was only blowing AC (it was 30 degrees outside) that day. Our shower was awesome I must say, the microwave was tag sale fodder. The marble bathroom floor was cold as Ice but the bathroom was beautiful. I am disappointed in the fact that at the end of our hall there were about 15 people in one room and when they were checking out they were carrying 3 commercial sized rice cookers and some other cooking equipment that was not standard issue to the room. The entire floor smelled like PFR (Pork fried rice) and greasy deep fried crispy noodles. That was kinda gross and also dangerous. Deep frying in your room??? Thats how fires are started. The poor maintenance guy is run ragged with all the problems that are going on with the entire property. We are on our 5th year going there and have seen 5 different maintenance guys. Its all reactive maintenance instead of proactive service. Over all nice place, restaurant is 5 $$$$$ expensive. If you show up in 2 cars you will be forced to park across the street in a public beach parking lot ... And yes you will pay $12.00 for that honor of possibly having your car broken into and of course 12 straight hours of sandblasting. I was not so happy with that but nothing happened to my car except the $15.00 car wash I paid for earlier that day was toast. I will go back, I always do but this last time was trying. Maybe they use us pre season people as a shake down test run in preparation for the big money payers in season. Our off season room rate was $269 BTW. Cha ching!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank JLC10756
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We wanted to go away for one night to celebrate our anniversary. I
like traveling to ocean areas. This is a good time to go to the ocean in that the rates are low. (Obviously it's not very warm but if all you are going to do is either drive or walk near the ocean you can still enjoy the views). It is always risky weather-wise this time of year but we were fortunately blessed to have a nice day. Our check out day was not as nice, but still OK. I needed a separate area for our
adult son so he could have privacy and not have to listen to
one of us (won't say who) who snores. The snoring has kept our son up all night long when we have rented one room hotels. I was able to find a choice of various suitable rooms at several different rates at this hotel. The hotel is very nice, and of course in the summer would be difficult to book especially at the last minute, and would be very expensive. We have always stayed in the new suite building which is the preferred building for most people. The hotel is divided into two separate buildings separated by the parking lot. To go from one building into the other you have to go outside, walk through the parking lot, and use your room key to open the door. I chose a two bedroom in the older (Historic) building to save money. I asked for an ocean view but was told that no ocean views are available in two bedroom rooms in that building. I accepted this. The employee who handled my call Sat night, named Reeyon, listened patiently to my lengthly questions, and told me he could and would request certain things but couldn't guarantee anything. Reeyon deserves praise for his patience with me. I ask many questions about everything because I want to know at this time of year whether certain amenities are working and available, or not. He discussed my room and building choices with me. To have an employee take this kind of time with me was unusual. When we arrived Sunday afternoon, imagine my joy and shock to find they had found and put us in a beautiful two bedroom with gorgeous ocean views from BOTH windows. My
other request, to have one of the two bedrooms that had the bathroom in the middle, was also granted. I asked this to create the best sound barrier for the (unnamed) snoring. Both rooms were very clean and beautiful. Both rooms had their own refrigerator and
tiny microwave and small coffee maker. Each room had a very
nice TV. Free internet was available via asking for a wi fi card. Each bedroom also came with two bathrobes. The bathroom had some type of red light or other device which was nice. If you stay in a suite in the new building some of the bath tubs actually can be used as a whirlpool device. This was not available in our room, but I'm mentioning it as available. If you book a room here, talk to them
about what features or amenities are available because it varies with the type of room and the building. Also ask them about views. They cannot guarantee you a certain view but you can request it.

Although the hotel restaurant is not operating at this time of year
except on Friday nights - Sun morning breakfast, I have to mention that the view from it is fantastic. I have never eaten there so can't report on the food.

The hotel has free movies and all you need to do is ask for the list and request as many as you want. This is a free service. (Obviously if someone else has the one you want checked out you won't be able to get that one, but it was a respectable older list with good variety with and some family films). Just be sure to return the films when you check out and return your keys, because they do take down your info when they give you the movies. Also available in the same Historic building is a nice little fitness center. It is open around 6am - 11pm. Ask for free headphones at at the desk if you want to be able to use the personal tv that is attached to each machine. Or bring your own headphones.

A very small indoor pool with a tiny whirlpool is available over in the new suites building. Also in the new suites building is a wonderful roof top fire pit with a huge hot tub. The view is stunning at night. You can see all the lights of the area.

The hotel provides separate towels for the pool, whirl pool, hot tub, or beach.

Our bed was luxurious and pretty comfortable. Each room has its own climate control.

You could easily just bring in your own food from a nearby supermarket (there is a Shaws in Middletown not far away) .

The hotel also has suites available and some of them have a full kitchen.

Laundry facilities are available (quarters needed).

Both buildings have a soda machine in the hallway. Sodas are 1.50 and they have Coke or Pepsi, Diet Coke or Diet Pepsi (can't remember which), one Gatoraid lime flavor, a couple of Aqui...waters, and I don't recall the rest of the small selection.

There are a few restaurants within easy walking distance. A
pizza place (which will also deliver directly to the hotel at least they did several years ago), and a few more small places.

If you are looking to save money, a McDonalds and several Dunkin Donuts are a short drive away.

We discovered a Federal Nature Reserve was only a short
drive away. It is free admission, has various trails and lots of
ocean views. Of course at this time of year (March) it's chilly and windy. There is also an Audobon Bird Sanctuary near by
but it does have an admission fee unless you are a member.

There is so much to see and do in this area.

Obviously you can take a short drive into Newport with all its
attractions. Driving in Newport can be a bit tricky and intense
so I recommend you have a map and perhaps stop at the Newport Info Center to get one of their specialized tourist maps. There is a AAA office in Middletown and even they recommend stopping at the Newport Info Center and getting one of their more local maps. If you are a AAA member, AAA offers a Newport map but it's not easy to
use.

Parking is not a problem off season at this time of year.

The hotel is within easy walking distance across the street from
Eaton Beach. The Cliff Walk starts there and takes you out
to Salve Regina College where the Cliff Walk ends.

The Cliff Walk is beautiful but can be dangerous in spots. Be sure
to stay on the trail and follow any instructions. There have actually been people who left the trail to look around and at least one
person was severely injured. The Cliff Walk is beautiful but
they don't keep it up and put as much money into it as they do on the Marginal Way in Ogunquit, Maine (another spectacular ocean
walk). There are rough spots on the Cliff Walk that could be dangerous for some people, so I would get some advice first.
I would not recommend the Cliff Walk for children in general
but you can always just walk a short distance and enjoy the beauty, and walk back. Only parts of the trail are rough or dangerous.
You walk at your own risk.

I highly recommend the Ocean Drive in Newport. It is a beautiful
and not very long drive where you drive along the ocean. You
will drive by Salve Regina College where you can access the Cliff Walk if you like. I think there is a place to park near the end or middle of the Walk, but don't recall where. You can google the Cliff Walk and many people have photos and suggestions online. I believe there are also some You Tube videos up of people on the Cliff Walk.
If you access the Cliff Walk from its beginning, on Eaton Beach,
you can park at Eaton Beach or simply leave your car parked at
the hotel and walk the short distance to Eaton Beach, then walk
to the beginning of the Cliff Walk.

Of course, in the Summer the parking situation would be completely different and you might need to obtain a pass of some sort from
the city to be able to park at any of the beaches. Check this out
with Middletown or the city of Newport, respectively. You can always leave your car at the hotel if you are a registered guest there. However the hotel only allows one car....if you have another car
there is an extra fee. Otherwise, parking is included free in your
room registration. There are some spots that have a covering over them, and some spots do not. It's pretty much first come first serve.

When you register the hotel will give you a parking pass which must be displayed on your car while you stay.

Back to our hotel, it was lovely. Of course it wasn't very crowded at this time. The parking at the hotel is convenient if you want to
walk to the beach or the beginning of the Cliff Walk.
There are some benches where you can sit outside and just
enjoy a view of the ocean.

There are many beaches in Middletown/Newport.

We did not tour the downtown of Newport, the harbor area,
the touristy shops or the Mansions.

Newport/Middletown is a beautiful area. I really like the variety
here. You can enjoy the ocean yet you are close to many
ordinary stores as well as the specialty/touristy stores and
restaurants. There is so much to do and see. Newport also offers
whale watches (in season) and other boating possibilities.

Newport in my opinion and experience is one of the most upscale areas of Rhode Island. Rhode Island is a beautiful state with many beaches. Newport is well kept up and beautiful.

I really hated to leave.

Another nice feature: both buildings of the hotel have elevators.

If you have young children, there is some kind of small acquarium at Eaton (Easton?) Beach. I was told by the staff at the hotel that
it is a small acquarium mainly just for children, and it's only open certain times of year. It was not open during our stay but the Federal Nature Preserve and the Audobon Bird Sanctuary were open.
There is a military war museum in Newport which is free. It is a type of naval war college museum. I believe it's open all year and is free admission. We did not go there.

Very nice hotel............rooms vary so be sure to talk to them about
what you want and what you are looking for. Most people like the new Suites building better but we found the Historic (older building) to be just as nice.

If you need an extra room you can book a one bedroom suite
in the new building. The bedroom door closes, and the large
living room area has a pull out sofa to sleep on with its own
TV. There is also a TV in the bedroom. This way a 3rd party
such as a child or extra adult has privacy and their own room without having to book a two bedroom. There are also two bedroom suites which would amount to having three rooms and three TVs.
You can also book a two bedroom that also has a living room, which would make it like having three separate rooms, each room with a TV. (3 TVs). They have a TV in any Living Room, plus a TV
in any bedroom.

This hotel is at its best when not crowded and busy. The staff are
helpful. This isn't a luxury resort but a very nice hotel which could be a luxury resort with a few changes.

Room Tip: I assume upper floors are less noisy. There is an elevator. Talk to staff about different options...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank singingsurf
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Comfort Inn Middletown
Comfort Inn Middletown
#14 of 18 in Middletown
The Chanler at Cliff Walk

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!