“Check your room for the view - it could be a wall.”

Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I was looking forward to our 2 night stay at the Newport Beach Hotel & Suites. We booked our Monday/Tuesday late July stay on-line through their website and paid the rate of $399 a night for a one king bed suite. Taxes added another $52 per night, plus there is a seasonal $12 per night parking fee. Quoting from their website “All bedrooms offer king size beds with floor-to-ceiling windows and doors leading to Juliet balconies.” Well, unluckily for me, room 303 did not. Both the bedroom and bath looked out on a wall about 2 feet from the windows. If I had wanted to look out the window and see a wall, I would have booked a hotel in New York City.
While the rest of the room was pretty much as promised, that dark, dead space outside the window did not equal a $450 a night experience as portrayed by the advertising. And perhaps surprisingly while I did not have much contact with other guests during my stay, I did hear another similar complaint about what I would assume was the room below 303. This is definitely one place where you might want to look at the room before you unpack.

Room Tip: Watch out for the rooms blocked by the pool/roof deck addition.
4  Thank Kurt12123

Reviewed August 2, 2013

I give this hotel three stars because it is average--good in some areas, lacking in others.

The positives - we had a beach view, which was lovely. The location is very close to the cliff walk and the downtown attractions, but you aren't caught in the middle of the Thames St. bachelorette party hell. We stayed in the older building - the room was fine. Not great, not horrible. The pool and rooftop firepit in the newer building were nice. The front desk staff was very helpful with getting us cabs or explaining how to get to the local sites.

The negatives - no free parking. Really? I'm spending over $400 a night for an average room and you don't include parking? The food in the restaurant was fine, but the service was nearly absent. We had to wait forever for a simple egg sandwich in the morning. They weren't even that busy. Perhaps they were waiting for the chicken to lay some eggs, but at least freshen my coffee while I'm waiting 40 minutes for eggs.

If this hotel were $150 a night I would give it a higher rating, but for this exorbitant price, you really don't get what you pay for.

3  Thank CTHeather
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We go to the Newport Folk Festival every year. Bought tickets for the festival and waited a few weeks to book a room and alas the inn we usually stay at was booked. We picked the Newport Beach hotel as our best alternative as we like to stay in the Middletown beach area. My first impression was the odor in the hotel lobby. Couldn't figure it out. The lobby is clean and modern but the odor confused me. Stayed in the historic hotel on the fourth floor..a corner room with a glimpse of the ocean...one queen bed. The room is small but with a nice flat panel TV, refridgerator, coffee maker, CD-DVR player. The size of the bathroom was generous. The room was clean, no odor like the lobby, and quiet...we were even next to the elevator. Had breakfast in the restaurant on the first floor all three days and the food and service was exceptional. The room was pricey and there was a surcharge of $38.00 to park for three nights. The parking fee pissed me off since I paid $1087.00 for 3 nights. Didn't go to the pool or fitness center because we were out at the festival all day. For the price..I wouldn't go back here. Will try to book somewhere up the street on the hill.Half the price will pay for some great meals.

Room Tip: This place is right across the street from the beach. Location, location, location. A room, is a roo...
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Hard to know where to start - after 14 days travelling throughout New England in really good accommodation this was poor, poor, poor. Room (in the old building) was tiny, barely room for 2 of us,. The bathroom, which initially looked very clean, had drip marks of something down the side of the vanity unit, the sheets were at best unironed, no curtains at the window but a Venetian blind which left the room flooded with day light round 4:30am. Sound proofing was very poor so every sound from the road outside and the corridor inside was clearly heard. The worse thing was the complete lack of interest in customers by staff - they really couldn't have cared less. Restaurant service, with one notable exception, was desperately bad. Be aware that when you arrive they then tell you that parking is additional - $15 per night to leave your car (it's free to park over the road!). To add insult to injury, on departure they double charged me for a restaurant bill I'd paid separately on another credit card. Because the restaurant manager was not there they said they'd have to get back to me to "check" what I said ... A week later I still haven;t heard a word.

Room Tip: Avoid the old building
1  Thank EllieN22
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I drove up from New Jersey. We arrived at 12 noon and were able to check in while we wait for our room to be ready. (Check in is 4p) Front desk Lori was great.. she even called housekeeping and took down my number so she can call us while we venture out to let us know when the room would be ready. (Only waited 30min as they were already in the middle of cleaning it). The room was perfect. Loved that it had a full kitchen and washer and dryer. The view was of Easton Beach which is right across the street from hotel. We stayed in the new suite building. Thames Street and Ocean drive is a short drive away. Cliff walk is literally right off Easton beach if you want to see the mansions. Go to Flo's Clam Shack for lunch or dinner.. Located next door to the hotel across from the suite building lot. Ocean Bar Grill is located by the hotel lobby, open all day and breakfast if you dont want the headache of parking and crowds downtown, Peter was our server and was more than happy to serve and answer questions about anything in town just ask. Constantly saw staff outside maintaining the property.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Mishhh01
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Overall - I would say this hotel did not meet or exceed my expectations for the price. I believe that just by putting a washer and dryer in the room - should not be enough to charge higher prices. That being said, many positives with this hotel, just not enough of them. Stayed 3 nights in the Suites Building - One Bedroom King.

Pros: Washer and Dryer, Dishwasher in room - convenient!
Cleaning Staff very efficient and available
Rooms were updated nicely (stayed in the Suites Building)
Breakfast was great at the hotel restaurant

Cons: Front Desk staff - highly unknowledgeable. Asked about many amenities I read about ahead of time, they knew nothing about them. Several different conversations with different employees = same result.
Pool indoor in the Suites Building - murky water, needed to be completely drained when we were there, not very clean.
Parking - not available for two nights under our rooms - needed to park in handicap area illegally directed by the security team.

Room Tip: Must choose the Suites Building - our King Bedroom did not have a view in the bedroom - faced a wall...
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We always visit Newport several times a year from New York CIty. We normally stay in town but summers are difficult depending on the day or if there is a festival. We always get a suite at this property but they were sold out. We reluctantly agreed to an old building room with no view. Not good. Way too small for two adults. We will stick with the suite next time.
Try the restaurant. Lyle is the Chef and owner. Our special place at Newport. The salmon is fantastic.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a suite if you can get it. Avoid the old building at all cost. Go midweek and book ear...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
#4 of 21 in Newport
The Sea Breeze Inn
The Sea Breeze Inn
#5 of 18 in Middletown

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!