“College Search”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Mahwah, New Jersey
“College Search”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2012

Have been on the college tour road trip. We did a number of Rhode Island schools and decided to spend two nights in Newport as our home base. This place is really nice. We got a two bedroom place with a nice sitting area in between. It was freezing as it was November, but still able to take walks on the beach. Lots of surfers out after a storm. Access to the Cliff Walk. Close to downtown Newport. Cute little pub in the hotel. Kids liked the hot tub. Parking was an issue as there was a wedding one night. And I bet it's REALLY crowded in the summertime. Really nice place.

Room Tip: Our view wasn't excellent. But you could crane to see the beach!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dooley22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

I reserve my historic room with expedia ($90 a night) and when we checked in, the receptionist offer us to upgrade to 2 master bedroom suite for $30 a night and we accepted. The suite located across the street of the historic building, and it was the top floor we got. When we open the door, it was a sitting room with a 60 in HDTV, a kitchen, a frige, a stainless steel microwave, and a stove. We could found all necessary kitchen utenzils in the kitchen cabinets.

The master bdrm and the guest bdrm are hugh, with a king size bed in each room, the sitting room in the middle. The pillows and the brankets are soft and comfortable, and the mattress firmess are about right. The bathrooms are huge, each with huge glass see-through shower place. In the master bdrm's bathroom, we can even found a hugh whirlpool tub and the towel was located inside a room that can be locked.

We arrive on Christmas date so getting a restaurant that is open is difficult, the lady in the front desk gave us information about the restaurants that are open on the 25 and 26th as well as the Menu of these restaurants. Whats amazing is that the hotel also provide a list of DVD Movies that could borrow to play at your room without any charge.

Overall the place was clean and quiet, all the rooms have beach view, and the stay was really nice and I will definetely go back to stay in this home whenever there is a chance to go back to Newport Rhode Island.

Room Tip: Ask for or reserve the New Suite Building.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank catlung
Little Compton, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

My fiance & I decided 2 spend New Year's Eve at this hotel we only live 45mins away from here. But decided it would b a fun little getaway. We got a suite w/ a jacuzzi tub ( honestly the only reason I got that room)!!!!! I was soooo excited 2 use the tub only 2 learn that the tub was broken.... the maintenance man who we knew could do nothing that nite 2 fix it =( The next day at check out they could only give us $20 off a $210 room!!!! DID THEY REALLY HAVE NO IDEA IT WAS BROKEN???????? NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heather T
Salem, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

We spent two nights here just before New years eve. The room was great, very clean and comfortable. The remote for the TV didn't work, and the night person Micheal said he'd send someone over the next day with new batteries, they never came. The next day we spent all day sight seeing and shopping to come home at 6:00 PM to a completely untouched room. We called and they said they would send a housekeeper. She came, but only pulled the bed together and left new towels ( and some coffee because I asked for it). She didn't even clean the coffee pot or vacuum. With so many wonderful hotels in Newport, we won't stay there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigBillNH
Stratford, Connecticut, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

My new husband and I stayed here for our short honeymoon for a weekend. When we got to the hotel and there was no parking we had to park in the fire zone per the hotel staff which parking is $12 a day on top of the room fee. The view is nothing like what the pictures show it's not that close to the beach and the rooms are not great. It's not worth the money. When I looked out my bedroom window all I saw was a wall and bird poop, It was nasty. Also when we showed up they were a bunch of drunk people outside. It was the worst place I have ever stayed. I wouold never go back. Not even if it was a free stay. It's a party hotel and it's noise all times of the night. So if you want a relaxing weekend this is not the place. Save your money for someplace nice.

Room Tip: Don't stay at this Hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kimberly N

Travelers are raving about these Middletown hotels

Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2011

I stayed here for one night in mid-December. Although it was a short visit, I found it to be very relaxing. The staff at the front desk were consistently friendly and welcoming. The hotel was in excellent condition and kept very clean. I stayed in room 362. When I arrived on the third floor, I was a bit confused by the signage. To find my room, I had to go down the hall to a staircase that led to additional "third" floor rooms. The bedroom was spacious and immaculate. The bed was very comfortable. I feel asleep right away and woke the next morning feeling well rested. The bathroom was clean but on the small side. It reminded me of the bathrooms in Europe.

The hotel offers free WIFI. You'll need to get a card with the username/password from the front desk. The cards are good for a single device for 24 hours. Breakfast was not included and I am not sure if it is served in the restaurant.

Overall, this was a pleasant stay and I look forward to booking a room the next time I am in the area. Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nancelita
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

I stayed at the Inn at Newport Beach over Thanksgiving weekend, for second year and again had a great stay. Last year I stayed in the suites, this year in the "historic inn". The room was excellent - overlooking the beach.

This hotel is a little gem, my wife and little boy had a great time. We didn't realize until we arrived that there's an indoor pool - so we walked to the Island Sport & Surf shop to get bathing suits. The hotel is a short walk as well to the Atlantic Grill for breakfast and Flo's Clam Shack for dinner. Being across from the beach is great - we walked on the beach since the weather was so good.

We love staying here, where you can see the beach and the Cliff Walk, and the rooms are all beautifully furnished in an old-world beach hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jwnyc0000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hotel Viking
The Chanler at Cliff Walk
Atlantic Beach Hotel
Atlantic Beach Hotel
#15 of 18 in Middletown

Been to Newport Beach Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!