“A disgrace”

Rodeway Inn & Suites Middletown
Ranked #6 of 9 Middletown B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We needed a room to stay during the Newport Jazz Festival. Initially we had planned to stay with friends, but plans fell through and I had to look for a room. One of the only places with a vacancy was this Rodeway Inn and now I know why. At $152 a night (jacked up for fesitval weekend, I'm sure) I expected the room to at least be clean. The room was very small and jammed with old, beat up furniture. The two of us kept bumping into each other! No flat screen TV (as stated on the website), it was a huge monster of a TV on a huge cabinet that took up 1/4 of the room. The cabinet was so dusty I wrote "dust me" on top with my finger. It was angled in a corner and the space behind it hasn't seen a dust rag or vacuum in ages. I took pictures, but they didn't come out well enough to post. The sheets were not only thin enough that you could see through them, they didn't fit the bed! We were on the second floor, room 217, and apparently at the bottom of the steps leading up to our room is a smoker's gathering place - littered with cigarette butts and beer cans. We had 2 sets of towels when we checked in, We try to be "green" when possible, so we hung our towels on the rack to dry, intending to use them again. The next day, the cleaning staff removed the towels and never left clean ones -- I had to go down to the desk to get clean towels. We were booked for 3 nights and unfortunately there was just no other place to go, or I would have. Truly a shame, as it is in a great location for visiting Newport.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank DebbaJoy

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Fifties style motel under slow renovation, so that there are nicely tiled surrounds to tired tubs, newly painted doors with splintery bottoms, and a used linen bin in the middle of the hallway. All of this would have been endurable since we only needed a place to sleep while attending the Folk Festival, however the low price drew a gang of drunken young adults who loudly rampaged until 3:30 AM. The folks running the place are extremely helpful and are trying hard to bring this place up to standard.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Grandmas_go
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very clean and private. I was hesitant to stay here a second time after seeing all of the negative reviews. The room was spotless and the air conditioner was great! Don't understand all of the negative reviews. It is a little out dated and after speaking with the owner he told me they are in the process of re-modeling and have changed the cleaning staff. All in all I would recommend the Rodeway Inn!

Room Tip: pets are allowed!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shannon k
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We wanted just a basic hotel close to Newport for one night...chose to stay with Choice Hotels for the points. I should have read the reviews before booking. The room smelled and the doorknob in the bathroom fell off in my hand. The "front desk" made me feel like I was in someone's house as they were playing their music and attended the desk without any sort of uniform or name tag.

I emailed my displeasure to Choice Hotels and it was followed up with a phone call. They wouldn't refund my money or any portion of the cost of the room, but said they would credit me points to my account (which I haven't seen yet). Horrible representation of a Choice Hotel property.

Room Tip: Choose another place.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Sport516
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is the absolute worst place I have ever stayed. The room had stains all over the carpet. The paint on the walls is so old and faded. The sheets on the bed were so thin you could see through them. The bath was rusty and stained. The Free breakfast I wouldn't feed to an animal.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank CKtraveler_13
Reviewed November 3, 2012

A disgrace for the chain; tired and well-worn, holes in plus feces on blanket; ripped sheet; heat was inconsistent throughout rooms; outside stairs to get to 2nd floor rooms were beginning to rot; paint inside and out was scuffed and marked. On the plus side, the accomodations were clean and the beds were comfortable. But, would never go back. The price was cheap and was a reflection of the conditions.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank L H
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place to stay for just one night. Newport is a pricey area, so we were pleased with the $130 rate (inc. tax) we found and the pictures of the Roadway looked decent. We read the negative reviews posted and figured we'd give it a try and keep an open mind. The reviews on tripadvisor have never steered us wrong before and this time was no different. When we first arrived, we opened the door to the "lobby" and literally hit a guest that was checking in right in the butt with the door. Good thing we didn't bust right in, eh? There was such short clearance from the entrance to the check-in -desk. The young lady that checked us in was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Come on. First impressions and appearance are everyhing in the hospitality industry. I get that Rodeway's are franchised sometimes, but are there no branding standards that require at least some semblance of a uniform? How about a name tag? The "business center" was immediately to the right and was an old wooden chair and a laptop. Beyond that was a room where they serve cereal and toast in the am. (We did not eat here). So on to the room...which was on the 2nd floor. We access our room from an old wooden stair case that has seen better days...stairs were worn, creaky, split. It was pouring rain and there were no stair treads which made them slippery and dangerous...especially when soaking wet! The room was a dreadful patch of furniture and lamps akin to being furnished by the Good Will. There was a fridge and a coffee maker but there was no way I was going to use water from the faucet to make coffee. The bathroom had been whitewashed with a coat of paint but since nothing was taped-off when painted, there were drips everywhere - onto the old 1980 pink tile, floor, doorknob, tub. This was the type of place where you want to where slippers or flip flops and not bare feet on the carpet or bathroom floor...think cheap college dormitory. There were no blackout curtains so the streetlight shown brightly in our window like a beacon all night. Cars roared by all night long although no fault of the hotel. It is on a very busy road at an intersection. What can I say that is good? The staff was friendly and bed was sorta comfy. We never felt "unsafe". It's not a bad area. Just a bad hotel. Needs a huge makeover. We were out most of the night to see a show - so for one night, that was enough. Not a good place for children - no pool, no game room, few amenities, Not a good place for handicapped or elderly either. Good place if you've had a few drinks at a local club and get in late and leave early! Good Lord, for $130 we weren't expecting the Ritz but that price was about $100 more than the room was worth.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another hotel if you want a guaranteed good room!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Americangirl624
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Travelodge Middletown Newport Area
Mainstay Hotel & Conference Center
Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
The Carriage House Inn, an Ascend Collection hotel
Howard Johnson Middletown Newport Area
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites Middletown? Share your experiences!