“Old but clean”

Courtyard Newport Middletown
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed October 13, 2010

This is an older Courtyard that has not been remodeled (no flat screen TVs, VERY small sink area, older furniture). That said, it was clean and the staff was very friendly. But beware, it's two stories, but there is no elevator. You may have to lug your suitcase up stairs like we did!

There's a brand new Hampton Inn just down the road - will probably choose that next time.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 12, 2010

We travel often (about once a month) with our three young children and I was a bit nervous after reading the hotel's reviews. I couldn't find anything with a suite in Newport through Providence other than here and the Newport Marriott.
To be honest, $360 a night seemed very steep. I'd expect that in New York, London, etc, and I realize we were in a suite room which jacks the price but I still raised an eyebrow.
Our suite was clean, the beds were comfortable and it was very quiet. I didn't bother checking out the pool since we arrived very late and didn't want to deal with wet kids. It looked nice though...the inside/outside style was interesting and much more spacious than typical hotel pools.
The hotel is conveniently located to many restaurants and we had no problem getting takeout at 9 PM (yes, we were all starving and grouchy by then!). Check in and check out was a breeze and its only a few miles from the Newport Cliff Walk, The Breakers, etc.
I can't say the bathrooms were large and the fridge was typical. The bedroom was HUGE though. We had two chairs, two beds and a crib in there and it was fine. All my kids slept like logs so I was fine with the hotel.
I didn't check out the breakfast since $11 an adult didn't seem worth it. Maybe it would have been for convenience's sake though.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I am not sure why this hotel got such bad reviews. I thought the staff was great, the rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. There was only one thing I saw that was a turn off. Although, the bathrooms were clean there was no fan in the bathroom and the air duct, which may be the fan, was full of dust and looked like it had never been clean. I was happy with the accomodations and the location was in a great place to get to all the sights very easily. I would stay again for sure!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Stayed here last year, but this place has gone downhill badly! Public areas are dark, gloomy, & not well cared for. Checked in late, so we didnot get a chance to check the condition of the indoor/outdoor pool this yeart. Room was the worst! Tired & worn. Huge, old boxy TV. Halls & our room smelled of mildew. The whole place needs a thorough airing-out, & some serious updating. Worst of all was the bed. The metal bedframe could be felt through the mattress. Trying sleeping on that! At 4:30 in the morning, we started planning our relocation to the Residence Inn, just up the road, & did so about 6:00. Compained to Marriott HQ. Got our payment for the lousy experience at the Courtyard refunded. Avoid this place!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Abernathy15
Reviewed August 30, 2010

Decided to stay here so we could save a few bucks (only a few) and have a quiet room for our toddler to get a good nights sleep. The staff was pleasant and helpful but the rooms have seen better days. Just felt dirty for the entire stay. If you need a place to just sleep and shower it would be ok but was not a good fit for our toddler who is all over everything. We had a room on the second floor and heard what sounded like furniture moving throughout the evening. The next morning when I had to use sheer force to open our slider, I realized that the noise was someone opening and closing their slider above us. These doors are in dire need of a grease job! The pool is small but in the courtyard of the building so it is quiet, but it needs a good scrubbing. The AC was loud but worked properly.
Would not stay there again...would opt to pay an extra $15-20 to stay in a nicer place.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2010

I stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend with my 12 and 16 year old. We could not believe the indoor/outdoor pool. We stayed at the pool for hours! It was like a little oasis out there. Its really nothing you would normally see at a Courtyard. We will definitely return!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2010

That place is the worst,the staff sucks,the rooms are god awful,the housekeeper stunk so bad I thought I was going to pass out when I walked by her,there is nothing I can say good about that place,the dust,the telephones in the room where even filthy,there was no way I was sleeping in that place,I made my husband get me the hell outta there,u would think it being a courtyard it would very nice and clean but I will never stay at another courtyard again thanks to them

Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newport Middletown
Residence Inn Newport Middletown
Newport Beach Hotel and Suites
Newport Marriott
Newport Marriott
#4 of 21 in Newport

Been to Courtyard Newport Middletown? Share your experiences!