“Good Value”

Courtyard Newport Middletown
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Middletown
Reviewed September 13, 2009

The hotel was adequate for our purpose. The front desk was very accomodating in putting us in a quiet room and we did find the hotel to be very quiet even though it was completely booked. The only negatives were the lighting in the sink area was not adequate, the coffee maker had not been cleared properly so there was mold growing in it and housekeeping had not replenished the coffee and tea properly, so all we had was decaf. The coffee in the lobby was not good. The shower water pressure was excellent and the A/C was great. The bed was comfortable but a little low to the floor. All in all not a bad stay.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 9, 2009

Nobody was at the front desk when we arrived. Waited and waited. Nobody in the adjacent offices either. Ready to walk out and go somewhere else when this woman appeared. She checked us in, however, changed our rate from one which included breakfast to one which didn't. The price was the same, by the way. Why she changed our rate is anybody's guess. We were too tired from being on the road to argue with her. However, that evening, on principle, I called front desk to get our rate clarified. No reply. Called again. Still no reply. Went in person to front desk and enquired about our rate. Was told that breakfast was indeed included and was given two slips of paper with our room number on them allowing us to have the breakfast which we didn't eat anyway, as we don't have much at all for breakfast normally. The room itself was clean enough, but very old and tired looking. There was free internet service which was so slow you could walk around the block whilst waiting on it to function. I've stayed at cheaper Marriotts and had better internet service. The location of the desk is such that when your seated at your laptop the air conditioning blows straight on to you. Not very comfortable at all. As for location, well, there's nothing within walking distance. All in all, next time we're in this area we won't be staying here again. Wouldn't recommend it. We'd just as soon pay more and get a nicer room and more professional staff.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2009

The hotel is convenient when coming over the bridge from the mainland. It has lots of parking which was now free. The hotel is located conveniently to shopping and restaurants. The room was pleasant and nicely decorated in a nautical theme. The only negative was the hotel has very, very long hallways which can leave your room extremely far from an elevator (which if we were staying for a week or so might have gotten very old).

Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2009

We went for a Mother's Day Weekend. I went to visit my family again. This time I stood at the Courtyard Middletown, RI. Boy, I definitely got it right this time. Great hotel. I can't even complain about anything. Loved everything. They have a great cafe for breakfast buffet. The price was fantastic - $10.45. The breakfast was great! Their indoor pool was excellent! We went in their pool and jacuzzi every night. Their weren't a lot of people. So we had the pool to ourselves. We also had a sliding door leading right to our car from the parking lot. If you are a smoking, you can smoke right outside through the sliding glass door and not disturb anyone. The only thing is that you cannot lock the sliding glass door from the outside. But the walk is so close from your room to the parking lot. The room was spacious. We had the king size room. It comes with it own sitting area. My family was extremely comfortable. You are close to everything. Ruby Tuesday, 7-11, Dollar Tree, Applebees, IHOP, etc..... Stores galore near you. Very peaceful and quiet. Just lovely. I would definitely stay here again, and again and again. I recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Mari S
Reviewed July 31, 2008

Beware of staying at this hotel. I booked a stay for one night because I was in the area visiting family. I assumed that Newport was a very safe city and the Marriott would be a safe hotel. I parked my car directly in front of the hotel entrance in between to light posts. When I came out to my car in the morning, the entire lock entry on my driver's side door had been removed, as well as the front grill and logo of my car. I immediately called the police who wrote a report. I then spoke with the General Manager who assured me that everything would be taken care of, and that I should send her the police report and the information from my insurance company. She informed me that she would be filing a claim threw Marriott and that any damage would be covered. I then left, and she did not even offer me a complimentary stay for the inconvenience. She also mentioned that a similar crime had happened about a week prior to mine. She told me that there were no cameras in the parking lot but that security did "rounds" every two hours. Two days later I received a call from a Marriott claims representative who told me that they were not responsible for anything because they did not own the parking lot. However, there were no signs that informed guests to park at their own risk. Nor did the manager mention the prior car theft when I booked my stay. I then tried calling the manager and left several messages, only to receive a call back several days later. She then changed her story and said that she was not taking responsibility for anything that occurred. I have gone through corporate with the same response, and I now want to let others know so they do not go through what I did. I now have to pay a $500 deductible through my insurance and another $300 for a rental car. All for a lousy one night stay at a mediocre hotel that I thought I would be safe at. BEWARE, this hotel and the management do not care about their guests' safety.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank linz72218
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by very bubbly and energetic front desk clerks. The girls were able to accomodate us quite well and were very acknowledgeable of the area with some great recomandations. The only thing about this hotel I wasn't to keen on was the location of the elevator. Most hotels have theirs right in the front, we had to walk all the way to the back of the hotel to get to it. But our room was worth the walk. Very spacious and welcoming, like the front desk, and the bed was just heavenly! The maid service was just superb! Every staff member we seemed to come in contact with greeted us with welcoming smiles and that alone really made our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank beachbum23454
Reviewed April 20, 2008

After a horrible experience at another local hotel, I called the Courtyard Marriott to see if they had two rooms available, even though it was a Saturday evening. Shelia was extremely pleasant on the phone and said she would hold two rooms for us while we traveled there. Upon arriving, the staff offered us cookies and got us drinks before heading up to our rooms. Although we could not get rooms next to each other since we booked last minute, we were able to be on the same floor. Both rooms had king sized beds and were exceptionally clean. The carpet looked brand new and the bathroom was a decent size. This hotel is also extremely affordable, seeing as how the Newport Marriott is about double the price of this. Don't be turned off by the drive into the center of town...its under ten minutes.

If you're traveling to Newport, this is a great choice! Friendly staff, clean rooms, and great location! We will definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
3  Thank davisj308
Also consider these accommodations in or near Middletown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport/Middletown
Holiday Inn Express Middletown / Newport
Newport Marriott
Newport Marriott
#4 of 21 in Newport

Been to Courtyard Newport Middletown? Share your experiences!