“Local eatery”

Cuisines: American, Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is a cozy neighborhood spot for breakfast and lunch. Very friendly, efficient staff. The food is all home made. I must admit I was surprised at the quality as this is not very impressive from the outside. We had shrimp and corn chowder. It was delicious and one in our group had the liver and onions and said it was wonderful. We took his word for it! The desserts were delicious and generous. We had the grape nut pudding. Very reasonable.

There are newer reviews for The Commons Lunch

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Went to lunch here with some girlfriends. Seafood chowder and clam cakes were very good. Not fancy but nice country spot. Nice small goat paintings on the walls. Save room for pie.

1  Thank southcoastartist
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We went to Little Compton, taking our dog for her first overnight trip, and needed good takeout so we didn't have to leave her in the car. We found Commons Lunch reviews and had a feeling it would be the right place. It was. Lunch, a picnic in the churchyard across the street, was a linguica sub, a grilled cheese, and a hot dog with no bun. The sandwiches were perfect, and the hotdog thoroughly enjoyed. Our only complaint, if we had to name one, was that the fries were slightly underdone for our taste.

I went back to get us dinner, which was delicious: little neck clams in garlic sauce over pasta, and a stuffed chicken breast. The clams were still in their shells, and the presentation, even in a takeout container, was lovely. The chicken was very, very good, and I adored that pickled beets were available as a side dish. I didn't quite understand why the mashed potatoes were tan, but they had a nice flavor.

And there was dessert. My husband adores lemon meringue pie and has had it in many restaurants in many states. I thought it looked like there was too little meringue, but he was very pleased indeed, mentioning the bottom crust in particular.. I opted for the chocolate cake, my only regret being that they had no ice cream to go with it. It was truly wonderful light, moist and wonderful.

The restaurant has a lunch counter and a small dining room. It's definitely where the locals go; I think I was the only person there who didn't know everyone else.

They do not take credit cards; their prerogative, no problem. ATMs are available.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Another one of our favorite places to visit, the staff is friendly the food is good & reasonably priced, I had the roast beef sandwich special (Loaded with great tasting roast beef, my wife had a chow mein sandwich piled high with chow mein. We have never been dissapointed, this a favorite with the locals and the folks with the summer homes. set in quaint section of town stop by the general store next to the restaurant, nice country scenery, take a drive down to Sakonnet point or stop by one of the local winerys.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Located across the street from a beautiful church with a white steeple and nearly next door to a neat general store, this small cash-only restaurant offers really good food. The bowl of chowder was excellent, although it could have been a little warmer, and we loved the fritters. My wife had a huge sandwich, which was easily enough for two. Nice stop before driving back down the road for some wine tasting. Fun afternoon and road trip from the Boston area.