“"All You Can Eat BBQ"”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Connecticut
“"All You Can Eat BBQ"”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We had never tried Korean food and decided to visit Sura last Saturday night; the menu was on their website, and looked interesting.

We arrived and the place was packed with Koreans, always a good sign! We always want to eat in an ethnic place that the locals favor, as they are the best judge of the food to begin with. In fact, besides us there were only a coupe of other non Koreans there. Lots of tables pushed together and large family groups eating together with plenty of laughter in the air.

Their website's menu also displayed an all-you-can-eat bbq option; little did I know this was appearently the reason people seemed to go here. There were two options for the all-you-can-eat; one was all meats, and for a few dollars more the second option which consisted of all the meats, plus some fish/shellfish as well.

Each and every person in the entire place, and there was not one table empty, was doing the all-you-can-eat! Each table had a gas fired grill in the middle of it, and you would check off what you wanted brought uncooked to your table each round, and the servers would bring piles of anything you wanted. Then you would cook it all yourself right there yourself, and all at the tabe would share. Needless to say, this looked like a huge bunch of fun!

Unfortunately for me, I was expecting typical lighter Asian fare and had eaten not long before we went, so I was not very hungry. When we were seated they expected us to order the all-you-can-eat, as everyone else did. They presented us with that menu and began setting the table up with the sauces and dishes for it; I asked for the set menu, and we ordered from that. You can view it on their website, but it consisted of mostly rice and varying vegetable & meat combinations of both spicy and non variety, all in stone earthenware. I choose spicy pork, and my girlfriend chose a beef; both were delicious, though hers was slightly better than mine.

The all-you-can-eat is not inexpensive, so be sure to go with your appetite. But some seemed to make a night out of it, as there were tables with groups of 6 & 8 that were already eating when we arrived, and still having rounds brought out to them when we left almost an hour later.

We will be going back- fasting for a day, then doing the BBQ!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank 1dancing_fool

Groton, CT
“My favorite restaurant in New England”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I'd once lived in Korea for about 6 months, and moved to Connecticut from Orange County, California two years ago. Therefore I have quite high standards for Korean cuisine. Sura offers authentic and delicious Korean food. I live almost 60 miles away so have to drive one hour just to get to the restaurant, but it's well worth the trip. I've been there over 30 times during the past two years, and have never had one disappointing meal. The staff are very friendly. Occasionally they will bring a small dish that is not on the menu, just for me to try. The price is very reasonable, and it always comes in a good portion. Will go back again this weekend :).

3 Thank 6feetunder