“It just keeps getting better!”

Village Hearth Bakery Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Jamestown
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Pizza
Good for: Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Acton, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,666 helpful votes
“It just keeps getting better!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Two and a half years after my last review of the Village Hearth, I feel compelled to provide an update. Typically updates are written to offer a stark contrast to previous reviews, such as when establishments go downhill for some unknown reason. But in this case, I'm pleased to inform readers that Cherry Wonderdog is as impressed today if not more with Village Hearth than ever before.

Dori and Andrea are two delightful, conscientous, extremely hard-working, and deserving small business owners. They both seem to have big hearts and huge talents in their trade. Running a successful bakery with integrity is not an easy task; cooking the best bread we've found in USA is even harder. They manage to do both.

Village Hearth is a fun place to come on weekends, especially if you have time to eat in, and the food reminds you just how good bread and breakfast pastries can be. I've spent years in France where top quality bread is part of the culture, and I can assure you that I have every right to be a bread snob. Dori and Andrea could compete with anyone over there in a bread vs. bread faceoff. The Rustic Italian Loaf happens to be my favorite, but the French is quite good too. The croissants, pain chocolat, sticky bread, black plum espresso muffins, macaroons, and almond cookies are all staples in the Cherry Wonderdog diet when I'm in town.

Still the quintiscential American success story, Dori and Andrea have discretely expanded to be in a hiring position of college-aged staff. Those behind the counter are young and cheerful, well-trained, polite, efficient, and obviously fortunate to be part of this vibrant atmosphere. If I lived nearby, I would be thrilled if my kids worked here!

Do yourself a favor and indulge in the culinary excellence of Village Hearth bread and pastries. It's the product of a craft seldom found in USA and one that should be supported and enjoyed while still available.

Visited August 2014
6 Thank Cherry_Wonderdog

Sterling, Virginia
“A gem I wish I could take home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

I have been going here since it opened. Coming up each summer to visit my wife's parents who have lived in Jamestown, I start anticipating my first walnut sticky bun and coffee on the trip up! I have watched it grow and become what today I consider a perfect size...not too big and not too small. I wish I could find the exquisite breads they make where I live in N. Va. My only complaint is that since I'm usually there for only a week, I only get to visit the bakery 2 or 3 days. :-(

• Visited August 2013
Jamestown, Rhode Island
“Most authentic Italian pizza I've found outside of Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

My boyfriend and I go to pizza night every Sunday and enjoy truly the best pizza you can find outside of Italy. The ingredients are fresh and the crust is fantastic. The only negative about the place is that I wish it was open every day so I could eat there more often!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank GwenP23
Jamestown, Rhode Island
“Artisan Bread is Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

I don't eat meals here, but I take home a lot of their bread. This is the place in RI, if you like bread with a moist chew and a slightly crackly heavy crust - baked in a wood-fired oven. Very authentic. I especially love the olive bread and the asiago bread.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Jtwnit
Saint Cloud, Florida
“What A Great Place For Pizza”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

We heard about a place in town that makes Pizza, but only on Sunday evening. We just had a great Pizza at Village Hearth Bakery Cafe. We ordered the plain cheese pizza, it was made fresh and delicious! Being here off season and a rainy evening ,it was not crowded, but a steady stream of customers were coming in and enjoying the pizza. There were also some take out orders too! Prices were reasonable, but be sure to bring cash because the don't take credit cards!

Visited December 2013