“A Gem”
Review of Jamestown Fish

Jamestown Fish
Reserve with OpenTable
Jamestown Fish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 20 Restaurants in Jamestown
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Jamestown FiSH - A European Inspired Seafood Restaurant Executive Chef Matthew MacCartney - New England Winner of Food & Wine The People's Best New Chef 2014 & 2015. The restaurant holds the Wine Spectator Best Award of Excellence since 2014 and currently features over 600 selections from around the world with a focus on France and Italy. Voted (2016) Best Statewide Winelist (RI Monthly Readers Poll) Please call or visit our website for reservations.
Reviewed September 30, 2012

There is no view of the water from this restaurant and that may be its only "flaw." The chef does not keep a freezer so everything served is fresh within a day or two and the tastes reflect this progressive attitude. We started with glasses of the house brut which were very good and accompanied them with an order of local clams (2) and oysters (2 types, 2 each). My wife had a fish soup which was a delicious broth and surprisingly filling while I had the sardines which were served cold with carmelized onions - they did not have a strong fishy taste, were deboned, and were quite enjoyable. The wine list is extensive in choice and price points and they worked with us to find the type we enjoy in our price range. My wife had grey mullet from a fish farm in Spain which was the best tasting and prepared piece of fish we have tasted in a long-time. I had the seafood crockpot which was full of shellfish, ample lobster meat and some monk fish all in a Pernod (anise) infused sauce which did not overwhelm but complimented the shellfish wonderfully. I actually had a cheesecake for dessert, can't tell you the last time I did that, because it was made of Quark, a yougart type ingredient rather than heavy cream. Kudos to the ownership and chef for their progress approach toward freshness, focus on local and organic ingredients, and providing a simple, lowkey and well appointed and decorated environment in which to dine. You have to love a place where the toilets are European style having two levels of flush dependent upon the need. We would dine here again in a heartbeat. Total cost, before tip, was $200.

There are newer reviews for Jamestown Fish

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stopped in for drinks and an appetizer. The outside bar in the back was very nice. Ordered a pizza made in the outdoor pizza oven which was very good. Would like to try dinner next time.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We recently went to the indoor dining room of this restaurant for a small family occasion, and were anticipating a nice evening. The noise level was so bad that it was a challenge to hear the person next to you. There is no carpet and no curtains to absorb the sound, I ordered the Eggplant appetizer, which was very spicy and mushy without much flavor. I couldn't finish it! I ordered the Queen Red Snapper, which was served with a bland sauce covering the slimy skin on the fish. It came with a cauliflower puree, which was like tasteless baby food. I couldn't finish that either. One of our group ordered the Razor Clam appetizer for $15, and although the flavor was fairly good, they were very tough. There were some orders of tuna, which everyone said was fairly good. There were no raves about anything, except the wine, which was very good, but very expensive as there were no less expensive choices. The experience did not warrant the extremely high bill total. Since we live in Jamestown, we had really hoped for a good experience. We do not plan to go back!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

My partner and I visited the bar and patio area for a cocktail and ended up sharing a pizza as they looked good. Had a really easy-going evening talking to the bartender and locals sat at the bar. I recommend the cucumber martini, and the chef was very accommodating making a half and half pizza topping that pleased both of us. All in all a nice and easy evening out on a not so busy Tuesday night.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

We ate inside in the dining room. Our food was very, very good. Service was really good, prices were a little on the high side but given the quality of the food it was not out of line.

I have to say the seating situation is a little odd. There is an outside patio wth a hostess station - but that station is only for the outside patio. There is no indication that you should go into the building for indoor seating. There is also a "Bridge Bar", but not sign as to how to get there. Once we got inside we were never asked if we wanted to eat in the dining room or the Bridge Bar, which was no real problem since we did want the dining room. But since we had never been there it would have been nice to have a choice. The other odd thing is that there are 3 menus - one for the bar, one for the patio, and one for the dining room. There is a lot of overlap on the menu's but I think that the dining room menu could have used a few more choices.

Will definitely go back again!

Been to Jamestown Fish? Share your experiences!