“Perfect weekend getaway.”

Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Jamestown
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were very pleased with the Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn. After reading some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive about staying there. We had been upgraded to a superior unit upon arrival. The view from our private deck was spectacular. Make sure to request a room with a view. The Newport Bridge lit up at night especially with the blue moon on Laborday weekend Sassoon beautiful. The accompdations were comfortable for my husband and I. I would not advise having 4in these units. It would be a little too small. The kitchen is quite limited but fine for a short stay. Clean and comfortable all in all. The restaurant on site is very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a deck and view of the water.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PSalemSutton

Reviewed August 26, 2012

About 8 years ago we stayed at Bay Voyage Inn when we attended a wedding in Jamestown.
I had a positive memory of that weekend.

This August we were invited to another wedding in a town about 20 minutes away. It happened
to be the weekend of the Newport Jazz Festival as well.

Imagine my surprise on check in to see a small vase of flowers-dead or dying on the front counter.
I told the front desk we would be attending a wedding the following afternoon.
The day of the wedding we joined friends who live nearby for breakfast. We were out of our room by 9:00 AM. In the early afternoon, I had a hair appointment and returned to out room at 3:00 PM to get ready . The room had been vacant for six hours. Yet the bed was unmade. There were no fresh towels. I called the front desk and was told it was a busy weekend so that is why nothing had been done. ( Maybe that is why the dead flowers were still on the front counter--they were so busy!) I told them I was disappointed and that I had mentioned on check in I would be attending a wedding. On check in, the front desk did not ask us if we had any time preference for our room to be cleaned the following day. I assumed since I had raised the issue of cleaning the room, that when we returned from the wedding in the late evening our room would be clean and tidy. Nothing at all had been done. On check out the next day no one had yet been to clean. There was no apology made only the excuse that
there policy was to try three times. I said that the do not disturb sign had been on the door from 3 until about 4:30. The clerk shrugged his shoulders. I asked for an adjustment to my bill, since I was being charged more than $50 more for the second night than for the first. I was told that since I made my reservation by calling an 800 number no adjustment could be made. I said I had tried to make my reservation directly when I dialed the 401 number to the Bay Voyage and was told by the front desk I had to make a reservation by calling an 800 number. More than that, the whole place was dated and tired. The one tv in the crowded
tiny bedroom was dated many years ago. No flat screen tv --so that it hung on the dressser making it difficult to get around the foot of the bed. This place has seen better days. Book your room some place else. The two nights cost more than $700 and there certainly was no balcony. I did call the 800 number and asked to have an adjusmtment made to my bill and was told someone would get back to me. No one ever did.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank maureen b
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Although the ads say the place was recently renovated, the decor was in sad need of an interior designer. The location was superb, and we loved Jamestown, but the industrial strength decor really needs some work. Because of the disappointing room in terms of the colors (dreary) and a lack of the extra touches that would make the room better (fresh cut flowers, a gift basket), the value for the money was just not there. What a wasted opportunity for Wyndham.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dianne K
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This is a very odd place, we arrived and were checked in very rapidly by a very nice young man named Peter. After this everything pretty much went down hill. The room itself wasn't anything special, a little dated and dingy, certainly not what we expected for the price.We attended an "Owners Cocktail Party" which turned out to be mostly the housekeeping staff sitting at the bar and having inappropriate conversations. We were then approached by a woman in a t-shirt who identified herself as the resort manager. Now, I get that things may be a little more relaxed down by the water, but a t shirt? Really? She spoke to us for a few minutes but she was quite condescending and inexplicably seemed to be a little annoyed with us. We attempted to have lunch in the restaurant the next day but were informed that they were only open for dinner in the "off season". Perhaps if it's the "off season" then they shouldn't be charging "in season" prices. We did end up having dinner there but it should be noted that the menus that are in the rooms are not what the restaurant serves. The meal was probably the highlight of the trip and although my husband has some severe dietary restrictions we were able to navigate our way around it thanks to an understanding chef.

Although we would probably dine here again, we will never stay in this hotel again, much better lodging can be had for your money.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank annette b
lsouther, Manager at Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

The Bay Voyage Inn is a small quaint resort with small units. They are all one bedroom units with a partial kitchen. It does host a cocktail party for all of the hotel guests and management from all 6 resorts in Rhode Island attend and speak with guests. We will take this review and will speak with all the staff members and will address what happened this night so it will never will happen again.The restaraunt is currently open on weekends. We hope you will give us a chance and we will show you how our customer service and staff will make your vacation a memorable one.

Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here a week with the four of us. Room is somewhat cramped for four but the price was great. Not really a working kitchen, more of a bar with extras. Great views with a balcony. Need to get the housekeepers in line, some cleaning issues. Overall ,nice place ,love Jamestown

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank cauliflower_queen
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We had traded our timeshare to stay a week at the Bay Voyage Inn from September 2 - 9th. When checking in I asked for a view and we got a great view of the Claiborne Pell Newport bridge which takes you over the bay to Newport for $4.00 each way. Great view in a very nice one bedroom one bath room. The bed was a very comfortable queen with comfy pillows. There was plenty of room to store our clothes, the bathroom had all of the expected amenities, shower/bath had great water pressure. T.v. in both bedroom and living room, living room also had a dvd player. Living room had a comfy queen size sleeper sofa, a table and two chairs to dine at, there were also two other chairs. There was a tiny kitchenette area (the only disappointment) that consisted of a bar sink, under counter small refrigerator and microwave. I had hoped for a stove but no luck.
The kitchen area was fully equipped though which was a real plus.
There is an outdoor pool - no whirlpool, a nicely equipped exercise area, two stackable washer/dryers at no charge - they even supply the detergent!
Staff was friendly, wifi was available at no charge - the server is at the front desk area so we were unable to connect from our room at the far end of the facility.
Wednesday night they had a lobster dinner special. One lobster for $16.99 or two for $26.99. The lobster was DELICIOUS! and came with corn on the cob (also delicious) and red potatoes.
Jamestown RI is a quaint very quiet town that is very close to Newport, but it'll cost you $4.00 each way to travel the bridge to take you there. Would I stay here again? No but only because I like a more lively town. Otherwise I would definitely recommend this lovely old hotel/timeshare.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The location is great. There are beautiful views of the water, bridge to Newport and the outline of Newport. Unfortunately, once inside the hotel the visit goes downhill. Check-in was unusually cumbersome. The common areas and our room all shared the same level of cleanliness - subpar. Everything was grimy and could use a good scrubbing. When asking staff questions the most frequent response was uncertainty. The common room with coffee and breakfast pastries was a nice touch but would have been better with cups and napkins. The air conditioning unit was extremely loud and made sleep difficult. Overall the stay was disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view on the 2nd or 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Wyndham Newport Overlook
The Break
The Break
#1 of 8 in Narragansett
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area

Been to Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn? Share your experiences!