“Comfortable, peaceful little guest house in great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lionel Champlin Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jamestown
Lionel Champlin Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Jamestown B&B and Inns
Hartford, CT
“Comfortable, peaceful little guest house in great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2010

I stayed two nights in the Rose Room of this inn, in mid-October with my boyfriend. The inn is located on a quiet street within walking distance of many shops and great restaurants. The room was spotlessly clean, furnished with nice, antique-like furniture and filled with a variety of books and interesting artsy "decorations," including old fashionable ladies' shoes and military relics. The room was on the small, but very comfortable, side. It included a very comfy couch with ottoman. There are three windows, on two walls of the room. The room is in the northwest corner of the house. The en suite bathroom was a good size. Even the shower stall was adequate. The mattress was a bit stiff, but I got used to it rather quickly. Maybe it was better for my back anyway :)

I really enjoyed looking at the variety of books (from high school yearbooks, to best sellers, to histories of wars, to humorous titles, to school list titles) in the room. Being a librarian myself, I really appreciated the variety of books, including "controversial" ones. I only wish I could have stayed longer there, to read some of them.

Lisa Davis, the innkeeper, was thoughtful and friendly toward us. But not intrusively friendly. Although her inn is not a Bed and Breakfast, she had coffee, tea and freshly-baked pastries available for her guests every morning; I don't know if that is her regular custom or if this was just a special occasion. She greeted us whenever she saw us. And, other than asking about our participation in the Jamestown bike race, did not pry too much about our stay. If you are looking for a place where you can chat up the innkeeper, this may not be the place for you. However, if you are looking for nice quiet clean home away from home, without not much interaction from the innkeeper, this would be the place for you.

Additionally, unlike the experience had by the previous reviewer, my boyfriend and I had no problem reserving this room either via telephone or the internet.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TheWanderingLady

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Medford, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

We stayed here for one night in July. Things started out badly with the woman running the place contacting me to make the reservation. Don't be surprised when you see their email address that very clearly has b&b in the address, but isn't a B&B. When I tried to give her my email address to send the email confirmation (which consists of my name - I had already given it to her and spelled it), so told me that it too much trouble and just send it in with the check. I should have saw this as an omen. She also stated that air conditioning wasn't needed in the summer. With a property close to the water. Yeah right. Ever heard of...'it's not the heat, it's the humidity?' It was extremely humid, which even if the bed was comfortable, would have resulted in a poor night's sleep. She was irritated that we wanted to bring our bags with us as she showed us up to the 3rd floor and that she had to wait the 3 minutes for us to get our belongings out of our car.

The room was nice, and the bathroom large. The decor was very bazaar (the only thing I took pictures of was the decor because it made us laugh). But very off putting was all the warnings taped next to the bed about the volume of the TV, certain hours, etc. It felt like we were staying as an unwelcomed guest with a grouchy aunt.

The bed - wow, I could write paragraphs about that bed! The bed had some type of feathery top on it. But it when you laid on it, both my husband and I had to fight to not roll into the center. ALL NIGHT LONG. When you combine that with the humidity (it was a light, warm rain that rained off and on), it was a very uncomfortable night. The construction/renovations started early on the house next door, and of course since the windows were open, it was like they were hammering and sawing right in the room.

I have stayed at many B&B's over the years and usually have an excellent experience. If this had been our first B&B experience, it would have been our last. Either the woman who runs it, or the bed/humidity would have been enough to sour the experience, but lucky us - we got both! I hear there is another B&B (a true B&B w/breakfast) in town that has A/C that we may try if we go back to Jamestown.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank NanciiGirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jamestown
Wyndham Bay Voyage Inn
#2 of 2 in Jamestown
Newport Marriott
Newport Marriott
#3 of 21 in Newport

Been to Lionel Champlin Guest House? Share your experiences!