“The bananas foster bread pudding is so good that it should be illegal.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Celestial Cafe

Celestial Cafe
Ranked #3 of 16 Restaurants in Exeter
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rhode Island
“The bananas foster bread pudding is so good that it should be illegal.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

Returned to Celestial this weekend with my husband and another couple. I finally broke free of my Rhody Risotto obsession and tried the baby back ribs. Good decision! These are braised in cider with a bit of a Thai peanut/lemongrass treatment and are sublime. I was served a full rack over fantastic, creamy garlic mashed potatoes with stir-fried peapods. I had so many ribs that I shared them with everyone at the table, and still had some left over. I might have finished them, but was determined to try the bananas foster bread pudding this time. Husband and I shared it -- my review title says it all. Our friends loved their meals, too, and said that they'd found a favorite new local restaurant.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank SavvyTraveler618

Rhode Island
“eh...not impressed this time...6 x and it is crap shoot”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

We really did want to enjoy this evening. We have been 6 times in as many years and they run great, good, bad, an just plan lousy. Service has always seemed pretty good.
This evening was no exception the wait staff ...was very good.
the food was medico. salad was skimpy on items used to push the price on the salads. Don't ask for more items on the salad since there will be a charge. thankfully we were told before the more items were added and passed. The tuna was coverered cooked with to much sauce. The bread served was white bread. Owners management doesn't care. We tried. Never again.
We are done. Not coming back..

• Visited October 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
USA
“Excellent food, but some details still to iron out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2011

We went to the Celestial Cafe on a Friday night on a recommendation from one of the crew members of the schooner Madeleine. (That was great fun - see separate review.) The food was excellent - interesting combinations, locally sourced. I had a cod special, my husband had the flank steak. The chef definitely knows his stuff when it comes to food. I think that he/they could use a little help when it comes to the "running a restaurant" side of the business. There were some details that could use refinement. For one, the chairs were very uncomfortable. It was as if the legs were just a little too long. There was a rail you could rest your foot on, but even my husband, who is not short, said he was glad to be leaving by the time our meal was over. One other detail - there were lights hanging over each table - not an unusual move. But to adjust the height of the lights, they had tied a not-very-graceful knot in the cord. It just looked sloppy/unprofessional - detracted from the overall feel of the place. The service was a little uneven, but overall good. Our server knew the menu well and was helpful. Overall, the prices were reasonable and the food was excellent. It was only about a 20 minute drive from Newport, where we were staying. Definitely worth the trip.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Providence, Rhode Island
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Never Miss A Farm Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2011

We've become huge fans of the monthly Farm Dinners!!! How great that the ENTIRE meal is locally farmed, makes me feel good to support them. Can't beat the price...$35 for 5 courses and a drink!! We come every month and have no plans to stop :-)

1 Thank SoooGoood
Rhode Island
“City-worthy restaurant out in the middle of farmland.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

And appropriately so, because Celestial Cafe's menu focuses on locally produced veggies, fruits, cheeses, seafoods and meats. The chef is a graduate of Culinary Institute of America, I believe, and his talent and training show in the excellent sauces and pairings. I had a fantastic salmon dish with risotto and local cranberries, and my husband a local beef filet with two sauces. It was a dinner special, and he is still raving about it. The staff is prompt and friendly, and every time we have dined here, the chef has come out of the open kitchen and visited each table of diners. There's a more casual pub menu, too, which I haven't tried yet, and an attractive lounge. The restaurant is only a few miles from the University of Rhode Island and the Ryan Center entertainment arena in the Oak Village shopping center. Don't pass it up!

• Visited June 2011