“Back again and still a very good neighborhood choice”
Review of Caffe ITRI

Caffe ITRI
Ranked #30 of 280 Restaurants in Cranston
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
“Back again and still a very good neighborhood choice”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I wrote a review on Itri last November after a birthday party there. This was our first time back since then and I before going, I checked the reviews since our last visit.

Happy to report that everything is still as remembered. Food is very good "standard" Italian, with home made pastas. You won't anything out of a Mario Batalli book, but the things they do, they do well. Homemade spumoni is delish.

Service is fine, but not award winning. Meal was a nicely paced two hours.

Dinner for five came in at $195 including tip with wine, two apps, two desserts and five entrees.

Better than most of the places on Federal Hill.

• Visited August 2012

Brookline
“Great Pasta and Pizza”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I ate at Café Itri for the first time last night and I was very impressed. It isn’t the best Italian restaurant that I have ever been to, but the Pasta and the Pizza were very good to excellent. I hope to return.

We started with several appetizers. The clams casino were not up to par. Although the clams were whole and fresh the bread topping was thick and gooey as when stuffing is made wet and pressed onto the clam. I prefer crispy, buttery, loose, light breading that is lightly browned by the broiler.

We ordered two grilled pizzas, the special of the evening (chicken, fontina cheese, etc.) and our attempt at defining a ‘regular pizza’ with mozzarella and sauce. I was misguided. I thought that the special pizza of the day sounded too yuppie for me – it wasn’t – it was great. The crust was crisp but not cracker-like and it was tasty. The toppings were an awesome combination of small chunks (no larger than about ¼ of an inch across) instead of the big pieces I expected which ruins yuppie pizza for me. I was very impressed. My attempt at a regular pizza fell short because the fresh mozzarella was bland. I won’t order that again, but mea culpa. I don’t blame the restaurant.

For those making comparisons, the pizza reminded me of Al Forno years ago. Although I love Johanne and George, the last couple of times I was there the pizza was poor. It was too burned (when you have to scrape off the carbon to lessen the bad taste, something is wrong.) It also tasted as though the crust had been pre-cooked and the finished pizza hadn’t received the proper cooking. The special pizza at Café Itri was probably as good as or better than the best I have had at Al Forno.

We shared the Gnocchi with Gorgonzola White Sauce. It was fantastic. The sauce is not overly cheesy – it is flavorful and perfectly creamy, however. As I began to learn, Café Itri does sauces well! The gnocchi were unlike any that I had ever had. The texture was creamy, chewy and thick, almost like a great piece of fudge. I was reminded of the texture of Japanese Mochi (not frozen.) I loved this dish.

The main courses and sides included Veal Parmesan, Pappardelle Carbonara , Cappelini with Vodka Sauce and Rigatoni Shrimp. The veal was average IMHO. It was tasty enough but the breadcrumb coating was too heavy for me. The veal itself had a nice flavor and although it wasn’t the most tender veal I have ever had, I could cut it with my fork. A lot of people would like it more than I did, but in no way was it bad.

The Pappardelle was outstanding, perfectly al dente to my taste and heaping with Carbonara flavor. The Carbonara ingredients other than the peas were diced to a small size so they would only add to the flavor of the great pasta, not detract. Well done! The Capellini was also perfect to my taste although some people might find it a touch overcooked. I loved it. Everyone agreed that the Vodka Sauce was phenomenal. Great, great, great!

The Rigatoni Shrimp was excellent, with plenty of shrimp and a wonderful, chewy al dente rigatoni. I would have liked slightly less cooked shrimp since I like the crispness of the best shrimp you can buy, but these, although perhaps very fresh, were a bit too cooked to tell. Still, it was a delicious, aesthetic and well-conceived dish. My fellow diners loved it.

Café Itri has won the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence many times. They have a broad selection of relatively inexpensive wines to satisfy most of their customers. I prefer my wine mature so that we have something in common if we find ourselves alone together. Sadly, this is a younger list, far younger than myself. However we enjoyed a slightly tannic but fruity Sangiovese (2010 Tre-Monte Campo Mezzo.)

In summary, the restaurant prepares great pasta and sauces and their special pizza of the day was truly excellent. To quote Arnold, “I’ll be back.”

• Visited August 2012
DeLand, Florida
“Third time was NOT the charm.”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Decided that after two pleasant meals that I would go back yet again. It turned out to be a bad idea. My friend and I ordered two glasses of wine and picked out an appetizer while looking over the extensive menu. We were in the mood for veal, something which neither of us cooks at home. Our waiter was less than attentive and disappeared for very long minutes at a time. But, the big surprise was when we ordered two different veal dishes. "Oh yeah, we're out of veal tonight," our waiter said. "The 'veal guy' didn't show up today'". Huh? Might it not have been a good idea to mention that before we perused the seven (yup, count 'em, seven!) veal entrees on the menu? Since the appetizer still hadn't arrived (although it seemed like we had ordered it during the Clinton administration) we asked the waiter to cancel it and bring a check for the wine. The only good news was that this particular section of Cranston is littered with fine restaurants and so we left Caffe Itri and strolled a short distance to Antonio's for a very nice dinner with an attentive server. Apparently, their 'veal guy' had come up with the goods and the Veal Marsala was delightful.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Celeris41
Rhode Island
“Expect a leisurely pace.”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We chose Caffe Itri because it was equidistant among our houses, and because friends of friends, who are foodies, used to go there regularly. Party of 3 on a Friday night. We sat in the bar area, there were several other full tables out there, and the main dining room was about half full at 6pm. The patio looks lovely, but it was too humid to eat outside.

Service was really slow. We sat for awhile before the waitress came over to take drink orders and in the middle of reciting the beer selection, the waitress was interrupted by the hostess who handed her an entree to deliver to the table behind us, which is literally 2 feet away. She couldn't deliver it herself? The waitress took the plate, delivered it, chatted with that table, then came back to finish taking our drink order.

Maybe our first mistake was asking what beer was available in a place that prides itself on the wine list?

Anyway, the service continued at the leisurely pace. Our salads didn't arrive until an hour after we were seated. We were at the table for 2.5 hours ( and had to work hard to flag down the waitress to get a check.)

The menu is large, almost too large as it seemed to lack focus or a chef's speciality. The penne itri was bland, so was the penne primareva. The friend who had flat pasta in the sherry cream sauce enjoyed it. The servings are large (maybe to cushion the blow of paying $16 for a plate of ziti and sauce.)

I doubt we go back. If you are into veal and wine, maybe it's worth the trip, but when you're not in the mood for either, there are better choices.

DeLand, Florida
“First time and will be back...”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

What a great time! Arrived early enough to get a table on a busy Saturday night. The staff was very friendly, our server, Dennis, seemed dedicated to making sure we had an enjoyable evening and the food was wonderful. The large selection of wines and full bar suited me and my guest just fine. There were almost too many entree options from which to choose and the prices were not outrageous as they well might have been. Definitely recommended.

• Visited June 2012