“Miss the "old' Basta”

Basta Italian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Basta Italian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 279 Restaurants in Cranston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: When “Basta Restaurant and Gourmet Shop” opened its doors in 1989, the goal was ambitious: To create a combination of food, service and atmosphere that struck the perfect balance of what a complete, authentic Italian dining experience should be.Over these past 23 years, locals have become regulars and traveling foodies have raved. What can we say? We are flattered, grateful and more than ever, determined to exceed your expectations. For this reason, in 2012 we underwent a comprehensive renovation, updating and upgrading every facet of our restaurant, from design and equipment to menu and energy. We are so proud of the result and we know you are going to love it.We invite you to join us to experience Basta for yourself. Our locally sourced, internationally influenced menu, artisan Neapolitan pizzas and robust wine offering will combine to create an unforgettable experience for you and your friends or family.We look forward to serving you soon!
San Jose
“Miss the "old' Basta”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Basta was my favorite RI restaurant. I recommended it to many before I left
RI, and to anyone going to RI since. I was so looking forward to eating there on my summer vacation to RI this year after 13 years in CA. What a disappointment. The service is still great, the updated decor and patio are wonderful, but nothing makes up for indifferent food. LLadyLawyer

• Visited July 2014

Providence, Rhode Island
“Love the outdoor section!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

I've been to Basta a handful of times and have always had a wonderful experience. Staff is always attentive and friendly and food is always great! At my most recent visit I ordered salmon with a lobster tail and arugala risotto. The portion was very generous and the dish was excellent. We love sitting in the outdoor section in the summer time. It a perfect size and has its own bar.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Ana C
East Walpole
“Just outside of Providence, Just out of this world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Relatively small menu, but you will find something to like. Great pizza, chops and of course pasta dishes.
Servers are friendly, effecient but not hovering, and the food is well prepared and creatively presented. I suggest reservations, but there is room to wait at the well stocked bar. Basta proves ypou do not have to be on Federal Hill in Providence to have a great italian meal

Visited April 2014
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Pricey, noisy and so-so food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

If you find yourself stranded in this part of Cranston in search of food, Basta is OK. Otherwise go elsewhere.

While the service was OK, the food bordered on mediocre and the high prices were matched only by the high noise levels. We both had the pasta and my wife sent hers back -- the texture seemed odd somehow, a bit chewy mushy, not al dente or fresh tasting at all. My gnocchi was pan fried which sounded better than it tasted.

We didn't try the dessert list.

The wine list was fine, with pricing and selection seemed typical of other "Italian" restaurants in the greater Providence area. We ordered the Masi Valpolicella which seemed thin and weak.

One positive note: it looks like a great place to hang out with friends partying on the back semi-outdoor lounge.

Parking is in the rear and you can enter through their back patio area.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Paris-Cemeteries
Providence, Rhode Island
“Basta - a little pricey and a lot noisy!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I have not been to Basta for years but we went with friends last week for dinner.
We did have reservations but when our table was ready we were seated at a high top on the bar side. I think the menu was on the pricey side to be seated a a high top bar table. Also as others have said, this restaurant is SO SO noisy. Real conversations are difficult at best. Our server was very nice and helpful with any questions we had with the menu.
Now - on to the food - I thought many of the choices had just too many ingredients in one dish. But our choices were all very yummy! My complaint with my dish. My choice was the braccioli and I was surprised when the dish arrived, as the meat was served as a few small slices of braccioli with the pasta and not the whole piece as was expected. Other dishes we ordered were the veal saltimbocca- very light and tasty, and a special chick pea ravioli, which was also very good.
All in all - good food but overpriced and too noisy. If we do go back we would do the bar for apps and drinks or wait until a nice evening and enjoy the lovely outdoor patio.

Visited April 2014