“Great food, bad service”

Macera's Soup & Sauce
Ranked #5 of 295 Restaurants in Cranston
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I'll start by saying, the food is outstanding, and inexpensive. My wife and I got an entree w/ a salad and sodas for $25. The problem is, the wait staff is terrible. We had been there a couple times in the past and the service was slow, but we let it slide due to the great food. Today was the last time we'll ever step foot in there. We decided to go here for our anniversary. When we sat at our table, we waited over 10 minutes before even having our existence acknowledged. During that time, 2 parties that came in AFTER us were seated and already given menus. Then, a waitress (not our waitress mind you) comes up to our table and says not, Hi, not , Hello but "Oh, menus might be a good idea, huh?" and gets us menus. Another 10 minutes go by and the same waitress takes our drink order. My wife then asks, "Can you just be our waitress, ours hasn't even said hi to us yet?" We were then met w/ a condescending, snarky tone with "I TOLD her I was gonna get your drinks, we're all a team here" If that's the case fine, but there's a MUCH better way to tell a customer that then treating them like jerks. So we finally place our food orders and about 10 minutes later, receive our entree. The food was hot and delicious, but after a few minutes, I had finished my drink. I put a stop watch on my phone to time how long it was to get an employee to acknowledge me so I could get a refill. It was 11 minutes and 25 seconds!!!! Mind you, not ONCE did anyone ever check on our food to see how it was or if we needed anything else. By the time I had gotten my drink, I was done eating. My wife and I wanted dessert but we didn't want to wait another 1/2 hour to get that. Finally, a nice waitress did come up to us to try to extend an olive branch. She was very nice and empathetic but when a customer states they'll never step foot in your establishment, you should get someone (like a manager or owner) who can maybe fix it.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is a tiny, quaint Italian kitchen that happens also to serve food. Only about 12 tables. Cramped, no reservations. But the staff are dedicated, friendly, and all longstanding members of the "family." Folks travel from all over southern New England for Mike's homemad chicken soup, sold in all sizes.
Their bread, appetizers, and entrees are all delicious, authentic Italian fare. You will not go hungry! The rates are extrememly reasonable. The neighborhood isn't much to look at, but I guarantee you'll love the fare!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

This was our first visit to this restaurant and it was outstanding. We started with their chicken escarole soup and it was very good.
For dinner I had the Gnocchi in Pink Vodka Sauce and I could not finish it. The flavor was so good I hated to stop eating, but I was so full! My wife had Stewed Veal in a red wine demiglace over tortelacci.
We will definitely go back!
Only downside, it is a very small place, but they do have a very busy carry out.

2  Thank Bob J
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Simply put one of best local places to eat. Food is always very tasty and prepared perfectly. Great menu selection and always good specials. Good portions chances are you will be taking some home. Service is always top notch and all this for every fair prices.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a Terrific little place known for it's take out soup. This Chicken soup is like my mom's . It is loaded with chicken and a great value. They also have Teriffic daily specials. Give this place a try you will go back over and over. Remember the chef from South Seas Plantation on Captive which I have had many memorable meals. Keep up the good work. Lou