“Our Favorite Spot, No longer.”
Review of Chapel Grille

Chapel Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
Chapel Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 280 Restaurants in Cranston
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Nestled within a hilltop village, Chapel Grille is a New England destination, the crown jewel of Rhode Island's top restaurants. Relax on our terrace overlooking the stunning panoramic views, the sunset washed Providence skyline and the beautifully lit bridges at dusk. The Chapel Grille Features hearth style cuisine and a Mediterranean Italian influenced menu focusing on locally foraged ingredients prepared with care and served with ceremony. Watch your pizza being fired in our Woodstone hearth oven while enjoying a glass of wine in our soaring cathedral bar or cozy up by the fireplace for a romantic dining experience second to none.
Westborough, Massachusetts
“Our Favorite Spot, No longer.”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

I sincerely wish I was writing the original review that I wanted to about Chapel, and be bragging about how it is our favorite place to eat in Rhode Island. Sadly, I will not be doing so. I have always heard and been told to avoid restaurants on holidays, for example, we attended Chapel for dinner this past Mother's Day (May 10, 2014). We simply thought, there is no way we can have a bad experience here, so let's go! We were wrong.
It started off with the service. I understand it is busy, I am in the hospitality industry, so I try to be as patient as possible when it comes to a server perhaps getting over-seated, or stuck "in the weeds". However, our server had to ask me 3 times what bottle of wine we wanted, which I repeated all 3 times. We didn't even have waters yet. When the server went to get our bottle, they came back within 2 minutes to ask my a 4th time what wine it was.
Once again, I understand the establishment was busy at this time (approximately 6:45pm), so I expected to have all of our courses come out slowly, which they painfully did.
My boyfriend (who's mother we took out with his family) had asked for the "best cut of steak you have in the house". When he got his entree it was cold and sent back. After about 3 bites he whispered to me and said it was the equivalent quality of something you would order at APPLE BEES. My dish, that I order EVERY SINGLE time we go, was also poor, and not up to par.
To top it all off, my poor boyfriend got sick from the food that night. It breaks my heart to say that he looked at me this morning after a rough night, and said he can not go back for a while. Who knows if we will give Chapel Grille another try.
This is a place we went to 3-4 times a month, and called it "our" spot. I guess we will just have to find a new place.

3 Thank Ilana R

“Skip this one. Faux fine dining with sysco truck ingredients”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Skip this one. Nothing of note. Faux fine dining in a stuffy, lifeless atmosphere. It's built in a refurbished church... and that's exactly what it feels like... church... for a funeral service... Nothing here sings... Uninspired sysco truck garbage. Bland and boring ingredients. Overpriced for the quality of dishes. $12 for ONE HALF of a lobster tail? Side of grilled asparagus $8 and gets you ... wait for it... FOUR pieces of asparagus. If you're charging those prices, you shouldn't be unloading your ingredients from the back of a Sysco truck. Your ingredients should be fresh and vibrant. Your dishes should speak for themselves. There are plenty of places to get these same ingredients at a fraction of the price... and cooked better to boot!

4 Thank Moose L
ChapelGrille, General Manager at Chapel Grille, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Moose L,
My Name is Joe Barone, I am the manager here at Chapel Grille. Please accept my apology for your bad experience here at Chapel Grille. We pride ourselves here on giving our guests the best service and delicious food for the best value. I would love for you and a guest to give us another try. Please accept this invitation to come in for dinner compliments of Chapel Grille. Call me at 401-944-4900 and we can set up a perfect night for you. Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Joe Barone
West Greenwich, Rhode Island
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Went to celebrate my birthday and was looking forward to the experience.... Food was mediocre, server was terrible, disappeared repeatedly, obviously to go outside for a cigarette as a cloud is smoke engulfed him and hung over our table. First and last visit for certain. Disappointed is putting it mildly! Don't waste the money!!

2 Thank Happy_Traveler5656
Rhode Island
“Not worth the drive or money”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I chose to disregard the negative reviews, but it turns out they were accurate. Portions were way too small for the price, the caesar side salad was tasteless (and charging $2 for two little anchovies is highway robbery), the complimentary bread was stale, and our server disregarded us for long periods. He never asked me if I needed a refill on my drink. We had the worst table in the room we were in (even though I made the reservation weeks ago) as I had a fire alarm right at my head level and my date had a big door handle against his arm. The special menu deals were actually teeny portions for a few less dollars. We were seated with screaming kids all around us. We spent $100 and were hungry when we left. Overall it was a bad experience and we wont be back.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Hawaii_traveler200
Providence
“Good but pricey.”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Atmosphere very nice, food good but not worth the price. Portions very small. Celebrated a friend's birthday, service was good.

• Visited April 2014