“Best Fish & Chips around!!!”

Phil's Hungry Haven
Ranked #4 of 20 Restaurants in Charlestown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Bristol, Rhode Island
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Fish & Chips around!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

I went there for a lunch date with my daughter before we headed over to Westerly beach and as soon as we walked in we were greeted, seated and given waters. My daughter is 5 and it's hard to keep her busy, without even asking she had a bucket (not 3 colors like most places) of crayons and paper and pickles. She was in heaven. She ordered her salad while I ordered the fish and chips which were SO fresh. I'm pretty picky about giving a good review for fish and chips but the price was great, my order was HUGE and the taste was perfect. I took the half I didn't eat with me and ate it when I got home. The staff was so friendly and the customers...we all were even talking about everything, including the weather and my fish and chips ha. I would recommend this cute little place anyway. And I am pretty sure it's BYOB too. I mean what else could you ask for?!!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MamaDizzle

Rhode Island
“Wonderful Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

This place has fantastic food at a great price (where else can you get a fabulous meal for $35 for 2 people)? It's byob and the chef sure knows his stuff. The mac & cheese lobster is phenominal and the baked stuffed shrimp is my favorite. My husband's is the prime rib. Yummm...

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank ApachePup
Cheshire, Connecticut
“Nice homey restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stumbled onto this place and were glad of it....cute as the dickens. Crowded but the wait was quick and our food came out just as quickly. The scrambled eggs were light and tasty, the home fries also very tasty but ...the pancakes were difficult to cut with a knife and kind of dry. My husband had the prime rib and eggs which he absolutely loved, talked about it all the way home. Our waitress was friendly and efficient, prices reasonable and there was a great art gallery next door, we walked through after breakfast.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank D K
Voluntown, Connecticut, United States
“Eggs Benedict Arnold”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

To start out, let me just make a general plea to breakfast joints in RI. If you offer ANY variation of eggs benedict on your menu, MAKE THE HOLLANDAISE SAUCE FROM SCRATCH. If you make your hollandaise from a mix, if it tastes like flour, gravy or chicken stock, you have FAILED at a very basic sauce. That your menu offers lobster benedict is a waste of lobster. It is also a waste of a decent English muffin.

This restaurant is cute. It's homey. We were seated immediately on a holiday weekend. The kitchen announced the birthday of an eight year old girl two tables away. The whole restaurant sang her happy birthday.

My husband loved his lobster and cream cheese omelet. I wanted to really like this restaurant.

But I can not, will not eat an eggs benedict offering at another RI restaurant without asking how the hell they make the hollandaise. This is two too many.

Hollandaise sauce is butter, egg yolk, and lemon. It should taste like each of these simple ingredients. When I order a $14 breakfast of eggs benedict with lobster, I expect those three simple ingredients to enhance the lobster. I do not want flour gravy on my dish. Taking a short cut on a dish where hollandaise is a main ingredient indicates that the kitchen is lazy.

Despite the charm of this place, I will not go back. Either learn to make a very simple sauce, or take the whole eggs benedict item list off the menu. You're wasting lobster. And English muffins.

I would give this a zero rating if I could.

• Visited October 2013
Torrington, Connecticut
“Big breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

fairly priced menu with big, quality portions. the wait for a table was more than worth it. best coffee in town, with generous refills.

Visited September 2013