“Should have gone to the beach.”

Hitching Post Incorporated
Ranked #14 of 21 Restaurants in Charlestown
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Ate there with the family yesterday. Totally overpriced. Worst RI chowder we've ever had clams and potatoes were almost nonexsitant. Won't happen again.

2  Thank Howard V

Reviewed July 11, 2012

Was directly across from our hotel -- Krystal Penguin great stay-- was pretty hyped on yelp and I saw a lot of cars there - always a good sign. Ordered the RI clam chowder -taste was ok poor job actually adding clams. Very disappointed in that. Also had a plate of fried shrimp. Very good but how does one mess that up? these clam fritters they all rave about --blehh tiny piece of clam surrounded by dough. not at all sure what the big deal was but as I said people seem to rave over them. I don't want to be completely negative but overall outside of the servers being very nice (isn't everyone in RI?) I saw nothing worth the effort (if one needs to make an effort --we as i said were staying across the street)
I also had the fish and chips pretty greasy (i guess they didn't rest it on any towels before serving it) and honestly just so so.
PS as an aside careful at outside tables around dusk we sat outside and got tore into by mosquitos very cute back there but we payed :)

Reviewed July 25, 2011

First visit was in June 2010 when we couldn't believe how delicious the whole belly clam sandwich tasted. Large perfectly fried whole belly clams in a lightly toasted buttered hot dog bun. We returned last week and couldn't believe we were at the same place from 2010. The clams were miniature and the clear broth clam chowder soup had very few clams (chock full of potatoes, though). Unfortunately, we won't return. It isn't worth the $72 we spent on dinner for three.

Plus we got eaten alive by the mosquitors. They should have bug spray available.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

I have been going to the Hitching Post in Charlestown, RI since I was just a little girl. It has changed hands several times since then, but remains a summertime favorite. The clams cakes are the best around!

1  Thank charlottemermaid
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Stopped here after seeing beautiful beaches and Ninigret because we wanted some seafood.We thought it might be a favorite of the locals and have good food. However most of the people who were ordering were first time customers too.The girl taking our order was very nice.One of us ordered the clams and I couldn't believe the dinner was almost $30.00.I was really craving them so I went ahead and ordered them..They were served on a small plate with fries and about a teaspoonful of cole-slaw.I was asked if I wanted anything with them.You have to ask for the condiments you want.They were a big disappointment.Maybe 5 clams and all breading(the birds loved them) very salty.On the other hand my husband had scallops and they were great(he shared with me).We will go back (until we're more familiar with the area)but will order the scallops.
If you drive bye give it a try.They have a super clean ladies room and a place to sit down and eat inside(where there is an A.T.M. cash only here).You have to ask about all the above.(except the A.T.M. I think most af the staff is in training.

1  Thank jeepgrl