“First trip was delicious, second trip was disappointing, both were expensive!”

Hitching Post Incorporated
Ranked #18 of 21 Restaurants in Charlestown
Reviewed July 25, 2011

First visit was in June 2010 when we couldn't believe how delicious the whole belly clam sandwich tasted. Large perfectly fried whole belly clams in a lightly toasted buttered hot dog bun. We returned last week and couldn't believe we were at the same place from 2010. The clams were miniature and the clear broth clam chowder soup had very few clams (chock full of potatoes, though). Unfortunately, we won't return. It isn't worth the $72 we spent on dinner for three.

Plus we got eaten alive by the mosquitors. They should have bug spray available.

Reviewed April 6, 2010

I have been going to the Hitching Post in Charlestown, RI since I was just a little girl. It has changed hands several times since then, but remains a summertime favorite. The clams cakes are the best around!

1  Thank charlottemermaid
Reviewed May 18, 2008

Stopped here after seeing beautiful beaches and Ninigret because we wanted some seafood.We thought it might be a favorite of the locals and have good food. However most of the people who were ordering were first time customers too.The girl taking our order was very nice.One of us ordered the clams and I couldn't believe the dinner was almost $30.00.I was really craving them so I went ahead and ordered them..They were served on a small plate with fries and about a teaspoonful of cole-slaw.I was asked if I wanted anything with them.You have to ask for the condiments you want.They were a big disappointment.Maybe 5 clams and all breading(the birds loved them) very salty.On the other hand my husband had scallops and they were great(he shared with me).We will go back (until we're more familiar with the area)but will order the scallops.
If you drive bye give it a try.They have a super clean ladies room and a place to sit down and eat inside(where there is an A.T.M. cash only here).You have to ask about all the above.(except the A.T.M. I think most af the staff is in training.

1  Thank jeepgrl