“OK Food. Muddled Flavors”
Review of Wilcox Tavern

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Wilcox Tavern
Ranked #10 of 21 Restaurants in Charlestown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Wilcox Tavern has re-opened, after 4 years of hibernation. We are proud to offer simple classic American cuisine, priced for the locals! Swing on in and enjoy the colonial cozy setting. We offer a full bar, serving dinner nightly and lunch Friday, Saturday & Sunday's at 1 pm. Cheers!
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

I wanted to like the Wilcox Tavern. The soap was good. The Wilcox seafood pasta was sad. Pasta was dull & over cooked. Lobster, scallops shrimp sat in a broth the said include fennel. No taste of fennel.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

service was poor food was terrible atmosphere cold I could not even get bitter for my rolls.Parking was a long cold walk to car.

2  Thank Christopher V
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had seen a glowing review for the Wilcox Tavern in a local magazine, and decided to try it again, since our last experience, several years ago, had not been stellar. We were very pleased. Note that the website has not been updated with the current menus, so you can't see all the great items now on the menu. Our starters were calamari and pork belly. The calamari, nicely fried and with shaved slices of scallions and jalapeno, was not only delicious, but enough to feed at least 4 people. The pork belly had been braised in a spicy sauce and was served with superfluous tortilla chips and what was termed "bok choy pickle" that was a spicy bok choy. It was meltingly tender and delicious. Other appetizers included mussels, crab cakes, and short ribs; if they were as good as the two appetizers we had, they were great. Based on the reviewer's statement that the shrimp and grits were the best he'd ever had, my husband ordered the shrimp and cheese grits as his main course. I ordered the hanger steak, with ricotta mashed potatoes and haricots vert. Other menu items included several fish items, a seafood stew that sounded delicious, chicken, and pork. Though he enjoyed the main course, my husband felt that the shrimp had been grilled a little too long. My meal was very good. For dessert, we shared a lemon cake, which was a white cake filled with a lemon cream and garnished with lemon-ricotta cream - a tart but delicious finish to a great meal.

Since I usually drink a lot of water when I dine out, I feel that I should tip by how often my water glass is filled. The attentive waitress and busboy received a LARGE tip!

1  Thank Alex L
Reviewed June 22, 2013

There is no option for the year I was there. Had one of the most wonderful delightful hilarious evenings way back in 2007 to the music of the one and only Georgette, exquisite food and superb service.... I will return and then shall be a special occasion.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went to the Wilcox Tavern for Thanksgiving dinner this year (didn't cook, long story about a challenging relative who gets in the way). The wait was about 40 minutes; we were going to walk out and go somewhere else. We discovered that the wait was due to lack of staffing; the people who were working there didn't fulfill the requirement to work the holiday. I felt a little sorry for them, but the server was good. The food was okay.