“nice motel”
Review of The Surfside Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Charlestown
The Surfside Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Charlestown
Reviewed November 14, 2012

we usually stay in hotels, but we stayed here b/c of the nordic lodge special. the room itself was clean and very nice. there was no closet but there was shelf you can hang things up on. small tv compared to hotels, but we got lots of channels. there was a refrigerator and microwave in the room, but no phone or clock. i guess with cell phones they are not really needed, but really? we stayed 2 nights but was only in the room basically for sleeping. the bed was probably more comfortable than the ones we sleep in at hotels. we will be staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Beth Y

Reviewed November 7, 2012

The manager lives on the property which is worthy of note! I live about one mile from the motel. Family came in for our son's wedding and six family members stayed at the motel. I'd checked out several places, and when I was shown several rooms, I WAS IMPRESSED! The rooms were clean, well-maintained, and worth every penny of the modest cost.
The service was equally impressive. I had to change our reservations as family members made decisions and Debbie, the manager, was more than accommodating! Though the rooms are simple, the owners make excellent use of the space.
Feedback from all who stayed was excellent, and I felt great about sending my family to the Surfside Motel. I am sure I will call on this motel again and again for all of my guests in the future!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank F B
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We were traveling to an open house at URI and it was last minute. I checked the web and Trip Advisor, as we usually do, and found Surfside. We arrived after 1130pm, they explained late check in procedures and the room was ready.The reviews didn't prove us wrong for choosing this motel. It is small, cute and there is attention to detail and cleanliness; enough can't be said about the chambermaid staff! Yes the shower is small, the only real complaint noticed on Trip Advisor, but manageable for the average person. We will be choosing Surfside on our next visit to the University or perhaps on a vacation. By the way its a short 9~11 mile ride to the University of Rhode Island.
Bill, Lori and Angela

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Bill H
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We were having trouble finding a reasonably priced place to stay near Newport, and came across the reviews for Surfside. Most of them had mentioned the cleanliness of the rooms, and they weren't exaggerating. The bathroom floor literally sparkled. It's not new or fancy, and the walls are typically thin for a motel, but in my opinion I'll take a clean place over a soundproof one any day. We'll be back if we ever take another trip this way.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LDC1795
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This past weekend my husband and I decided on a whim to get away for the night and bring our little dog. We found the Surfside Motel and called Debby saturday morning and they had one night available for a great rate so we headed up from CT. They only charge $25 for our pet too, so it was perfect for us.
The motel was clean and just what we needed - flat screen tv, little kitchen and AC. Its also in a great location - close to all the beaches, liquor store and "The Cove" restaurant.
The carpets are on the only thing that could use improvements -they should think about tile since this is a beach motel. I didnt want to walk on them with my bare feet.
Otherwise we would recommend and come back next summer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KCW1
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I just had a great little getaway with my 3 kids and stayed 2 nights. It was just what we needed. Perfect location, nice amenities and a very warm and helpful manager. The room seemed very clean but the smell from the dirty carpet was almost too much to bear. I was thankful I had some Febreze in the car. After airing out the room and many doses of Febreze it was bearable enough to sleep in but the smell lingered until day 3, when we were checking out. It did not impact what otherwise was a great trip, as we were hardly in the room. I recommend - but bring Febreze!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank candy185
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed here twice during the summer for a total of five nights. Made a third reservation for mid-September for one night. Was told by Debby that for that night the motel was "wide open". Unfortunately my plans changed three days later and I called to cancel the reservation. Was told at that point that there would be a $50 cancellation charge. I mentioned to Debby that I felt the charge was a bit extreme as I had just made the reservation three days prior and was giving the Surfside plenty of time to re-book the room. I then asked if she could ask the owner if the charge could be waived and to call me to let me know his decision. Never received a call. The credit on my Visa (minus the fifty dollars) is apparently my answer.
Too bad about the draconian policy...it really tarnished an otherwise fairly pleasant memory. Two other negatives: the shower curtain was moldy and the walls were paper thin. Will definitely not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay in Newport instead!