“LOVED IT, I AM GOING AGAIN....”

General Stanton Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charlestown
General Stanton Inn
Ranked #4 of 6 Charlestown B&B and Inns
connecticut
“LOVED IT, I AM GOING AGAIN....”
Reviewed July 20, 2009

I am not sure what this last gentleman was talking about, but We LOVED the Inn. We are taking our family back for our summer vacation. The Ladies that run the Inn were much help....room was clean.....we even had a fire at nite, in the fire pit, in the lawn with some other couples that were staying. We had a blast. The Inn is 340 years old..... I have been to other Inns that were not that old and they still didn't smell as good as this one...... I think the new Ladies that are running the Inn are doing a GREAT job!! I recommed this place to anyone....... not just for the stay, but the history is so interesting in itself!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank helocin33

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
MA
Reviewed July 11, 2009

The office was locked and unattended and we had to make a long distance call to check-in. We felt like it was an inconvenience to the innkeepers to assist us. My wife and I never received our breakfast vouchers (cheap) and paid over $160/night. This is way overpriced for what it offers. There was no phone, cups, or kleenex in the room. There were only two hooks on the wall for our hanging clothes. The room and bureau had a musty smell and we could not use the drawers. At night, the lights outside the room were so bright we couldn't sleep - the blinds did not darken the room. Loud noises and banging from the attached restaurant also made it impossible to have a restful night.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Retired_TravelerMa
Greenfield
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Tavern in Inn was WAY too loud, kept us up all night! A bunch of scumbag drunks outside yelling and being unruly. Karaoke extremely loud. The entire place was filled with junk for the flea market they hold there and looked like an indoor yard sale. Saw a huge cockroach on the porch. It is a shame that such a nice building is going to waste with that dump.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StantonInnSucks
New York, New York
Reviewed April 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at The General Stanton Inn for our anniversary. My husband called ahead and worked with the Innkeeper (Elysia) who arranged to have flowers and wine in our room upon arrival. She gave us the room which she said she gives to honeymooners which is lovely. The room was clean, fresh smelling and spacious. Everyone on the staff from the maintenance person to the housekeepers were accomodating and friendly. I highly recommend this Inn for everyone

• Liked — Friendly Service and lovely room
  • Disliked — I had to go home
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed here 1 (Saturday) night because he had a bike race in the area. When we arrived, the door out front that was labeled 'Guest Registration" was locked. After wandering around a bit, we found the Tavern door which was apparently the gateway to the new Registration room. We walked into a smoke -filled back room with two obviously disinterested women who I suppose were the Innkeepers. We paid for our room and got a key. The room was decent - the linens seemed fresh, the room clean besides the small blood smears on the back of the door - ew!

We attempted to eat at the restaurant that night, but were again frustrated by locked doors, even thought they were labeled as entrances. At this point I was starting to get pissed. The sign out front said the restaurant was open from 4pm onwards, and it was quarter of 7 on a Saturday night. Do they not want customers? Anyway , we gave up and ate somewhere else.

The night was fine - we slept well; the bed was comfortable and it wasn't noisy. The next morning we discovered there was no information about when we had to check out by, or how. We packed up everything by 9:30 am, packed up the car, and then I tried to figure out how to return the key and check out. No one was in the office; the door was locked. I walked around the entire building three times (looking for a dropbox at least) and in the process met another couple that was attempting to check out too, and couldn't figure out how . Finally I gave up - we just locked the key in our room and left.

So overall, the room wasn't bad, but it really seemed like the people who run the place are totally disinterested in actually doing anything, ever. I sit here wondering if they're going to call me and try to charge me because I never officially checked out - even though I tried diligently!

So I wouldn't say it's awful, but be prepared for no service.

• Liked — The room was fairly nice
  • Disliked — Too expensive for what it was! And no service at all.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elliekat
elmira, ny
Reviewed August 9, 2007

First and foremost: do NOT stay at the Inn on a Tuesday night. On Tuesdays the restaurant/bar area is closed and subsequently, there is absolutely NO ONE WORKING at the hotel after 5pm.
In fact, we stayed on a Tuesday and discovered that we were the only guests on the property. Our cable went out, we didn't have toilet paper, there was no phone to call anyone for help and no number to call. The owners are obviously much more concerned with operating their restaurant than their inn, which seems like an afterthought.

Over the course of three days we had to complain multiple times about broken shower doors, lack of towels, etc. A maid came into our room at some point to make the beds but neglected to take out the overflowing garbage can. I suppose this place is one step up from a tent at a camp ground in the rain. If you are heading to Charlestown, even for part of a week, look into renting a cottage instead!

• Liked — location--it is close to the beach
  • Disliked — no service! I was actually scared when I realize no one else was at the hotel with us!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank loganearthski68
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 23, 2005

The Falcone's owned this historic hotel/restaurant when I visited. The Falcone's were voices for the local Indian tribe in which I also visited. Joseph Stanton is currently buried here and his ancestry is from Nottingham, England. History states he negotiated and saved an Indian Princess (Block Island) and educated Indian children on the premises. Sachem rewarded him. A flea market today abutts the burial ground. The Inn is near Bess Eaton's! Very historic and entertaining!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Winnapaug Inn
Holiday Inn South Kingstown
Holiday Inn South Kingstown
#2 of 2 in South Kingstown
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington

Been to General Stanton Inn? Share your experiences!