“Breakfast too.”
Review of The Willows Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Charlestown
The Willows Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Charlestown
Reviewed August 27, 2014 via mobile

We haven't stayed at The Willows in a while. We did enjoy breakfast there. They have great Benedict's. Will come again to their sunny dining room. The service was kind & relaxed. This old style family resort is a real throwback to 1950-60's. Love being there on the pond.

Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We've been going to The Willows for about 10 years now. We always stay in the main building the traditional motel-y part. The resort is located on Foster's Cove, a tiny spit of water... but they have that adorable sailboat anchored in the cove, with a light on it at night... it feels like Waterfront somehow, despite the reality that the water is just a sliver. The rooms are clean but spartan and still furnished in 1960's decor - even the televisions. But let's face it, we don't go to Charlestown to watch TV, but instead to enjoy the beach. Be sure to go for an early morning paddle across the salt pond to the protected National Seashore - this is an integral part of the Willows Resort experience. There is a certain charm about the people who run it and who visit it... the sum is greater than the parts. This is definitely a family-oriented locale but a beach loving couple, like we are, will fare well here, too.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank MiksterCT
Reviewed August 4, 2014

If you want a genuine, courteous manager and staff then this is your place. For the area this was also the best price, nicest people, best breakfast and the pool was very clean, large and beautiful. The grounds is also very well kept, spacious and we had a good game of Frisbee!!! We went to Rhode Island from Oklahoma for our daughter's wedding. It was a 4 day event!! The Willows was right in the middle between Narragansett Beach and Westerly, where we had the wedding. I would definitely stay there again. If you have any problems at all, the staff and manager are in their golf carts and there to help you with anything you need. Our entire family stayed there, we took up about 5 rooms in 5 different areas. The cabin, the ground floor by the restaurant, two of the largest rooms up near the hi-way and then another with a picnic table, small kitchenette and we were all very happy.

Thank Willows, if we are ever in the area again, we will stop in to say hello!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Judy C
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I should start by saying that the Willows Resort is not a resort, but rather (as their website mentions) a family-owned piece of property with a few different types of rooms. If your expectation is for some five star looks-like-every-other-waterfront resort, you will be disappointed. If you're looking for a quiet weekend, with no frills on a property whose rooms have not changed much since the 1990s, this is the place for you.
-Their pool is outside. At dusk there are bugs. It is not heated. BUT the pool is 9 feet deep, was had a nice shallow end for my three-year-old, and was a lot of fun overall.
-Restaurant is open for breakfast only (7:30-11:00am). Bacon comes out very crispy, which I love. No matter what you order, be sure it includes the "secret family recipe" buttermilk pancakes. You can skip the hot chocolate.
-Restaurant atmosphere is reminiscent of "Salute Your Shorts'" Camp Anawana with a nautical theme. Great for kids, delicious pancakes, fast and friendly service.
-The area has plenty of other options for lunch and dinner. The reading room of the hotel is well-stocked with area information.
-Peddle boat on the lagoon was a lot of fun. Stay in the middle to avoid the bugs.
-We stayed two nights in the efficiency ("Poolside" on the website). Full-sized range, oven, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher. Table for 6. Giant closet. The website advertises two doubles and a pull-out couch, but our couch did not pull out.
-1980s/1990s furniture, older model television, no Wifi. The room was so campy it was fantastic. I remarked over a dozen times to my wife that I wish I had rented a room there to live in for the winter (I don't know if they do that).
-BBQ right outside the room.

Overall, a very comfortable stay. I would absolutely come back, and I would absolutely recommend it for a giant family reunion. All of that said, go in with a sense of humor/adventure, and understand what you're getting into. Enjoy!

Room Tip: "Poolside" rooms were very spacious, but the cabin rooms look like they had the best view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Dana C
Reviewed June 23, 2014

So we checked in late in the evening, there was a nice note with directions to our room wich we found very clean accomodating,
After a refreshing night sleep we were taken back by the amazing view out our window of the bay and the inchanting grounds, we took a nice walk to the resturaunt and were pleasantly greeted (the view there is also amazing! )
i ordered the EGGS BENADICT and my fiance the french toast, both dishes were delish and you could tell they actually cared while preparing,
The rest of the weekend was very relaxing, great pook, the family that funs and owns the willows were very friendly and attentive to any needs or questions we had, we would absolutely go back ! i plan on taking my in- laws for a little getaway in the future. i reccomend~!

Room Tip: all the rooms have killer views, the grounds are super beautiful
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jes1nyhc
Reviewed November 9, 2013

So, I knew I was taking a chance by the mixed reviews on here but I just decided to book it for 2 nights. Well what a mistake. You can tell just by pulling into the driveway what you're in for. I can deal with the old school check in and having a key, but once we opened that door...holy cow! The scent of lemon was overwhelming! And I don't mean like lemonade, I mean like lemon cleaner to hide something, that something being moldy smell! There was mold all over the air conditioner and on the walls of the shower. The bed hurt my back so much that I hardly slept. I really wanted to leave after the first night but my husband convinced me to stay by saying we will spend the least amount of time in here as we could. I will say this, the best part was the pool! It was hard to get thru the gate because the lever was too high for me to reach but the pool area was nice and clean however the water was cold. The restaurant was not that great either. The window and window sills were filthy! The servers had zero personality. I'm sorry to say that I will never return to the Willows Resort and wouldn't suggest it to anyone either. I have learned my lesson, no taking chances with mixed reviews on Tripadvisor.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gordon fan
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We chose this 'resort' on the positive reviews and advice at Trip Advisor. When we arrived we realized that these reviews were meant to be read with tongue in cheek. Maybe it was the wrong time of the year? A bad weekend for the staff? Or perhaps my DH and I expected too much for a four/five star rating?
To begin with, a pleasant woman checked us in around 3 PM. on Saturday 9-28-13. She told us the attached restaurant was closed (perhaps permanently?) and that coffee would be available the next morning in the lobby. The lobby area was located in the lower level of the closed restaurant. It was about 200 yards from the hotel unit and not attached to that building. In the lobby we could see two large pool tables, a few old pieces of mismatched furniture, and a nice shrine created in memory of a teenage relative who had passed away in a tragic auto accident in 2007. We received our keys and the woman showed us the map of the grounds and pointed out the location of our room. She said the outdoor pool was heated and still open. And she hoped it was OK that our room was on the second floor without an elevator. All of this was fine with us. We drove to one of four separate buildings for a traditional hotel room. We had quite a few steps to climb to our room and we managed to carry our luggage and a few bags of snacks up the steps. The room was rather small, and decorated from the seventies. Some cobwebs here and there, but the bedding and counters looked reasonably clean. We were greeted by a rather cool praying mantis which was worth a photo. There was a communal balcony in front of all the rooms on the first and second floors. Each room had one or two plastic chairs outside the door. A few had little tables. The view was pretty. When we read about the water/lake view we must have expected something larger. This was a cove or what we might have considered a lagoon. There was a small sailboat moored here and a few paddleboats anchored at a pier. We were not told that these boats were available to use, but we would not have used them anyway. We did check out the pool, but the water was much too cool for the outdoor temperature. We tried sitting at one of the tables in the pool area but the mosquitoes were too abundant. The bathroom in our room was so tiny that we couldn't close the bathroom door if we sat on the toilet. We opted not to shower here the next morning due to the tiny size of that bathroom. The sink and counter were on the outside of the bathroom...actually part of the bedroom. A mini-fridge was nice for keeping some beverages and snacks cool. The foot of the bed came quite close to the wall so that getting in on the farthest side required careful navigation. There was a small round table with two chairs and a lamp was suspended above it. Also an armoire with a very small old style television which worked just fine. When we walked over to the pool, we noticed that there were some apartments with chairs and picnic tables apparently for larger groups of guests or families. Only one of these apartments was occupied this particular weekend. There was one other couple a few doors away from our room and when we greeted them they shrugged and said "this is not what we expected from the reviews of this RESORT." We smiled and agreed. We used our phones to find nearby places to eat dinner and breakfast the next morning. My husband went to the lobby to get us some coffee before we checked out on Sunday morning, and the man that was there told him that there was only enough in the coffeepot for two small cups. And they were out of cream. Did we want him to make another whole pot just for the two of us? So we said that he didn't have to do that for us...but we actually would have liked a bit more. When it was time to check out, there was no one in the lobby. I rang a little bell on the counter a few times, hoping to summon someone so that we could leave. I spent a little time reading the story and memorials for the deceased relative while waiting for an actual person to check me out. The pleasant woman finally arrived around 10 AM. for her day shift and she took care of the check-out. I simply could not justify this accommodation and service at a rate of $135.00 for the night. So I'm not sure how this could ever be labeled a Hidden Gem.

Room Tip: An efficiency or apartment might be better than a standard hotel room here. Room 112 is a second fl...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank untired26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Pleasant View Inn
#2 of 21 in Newport
The Wind Swept Inn
The Wind Swept Inn
#3 of 6 in Charlestown

Been to The Willows Resort? Share your experiences!