“Dated & Dirty”
Review of The Willows Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Charlestown
The Willows Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Charlestown
New Haven, CT
“Dated & Dirty”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We chose this resort because of the excellent price. We came with other families, all different rooms. We stayed in a family efficiency unit & the others stayed in a regular double room. My efficiency was smaller than the regular rooms and more out dated than their rooms. I was completely misled with the discription of the unit. I thought there would be a stove, however it's a 2 burner cook top. The sponge was nasty as well as the dishdrain.... thank goodness I brought my own. The bedspreads were ripped & dirty. They immediately came off for the duration of our trip. The a/c was blasting & we had a small round table w/ 2 chairs to sit and eat. No living area & the tv is tiny and can only be seen from the king bed. The bathroom was so small that the sink was in the nearest room, weird! The pool was nice, however filthy. Hairballs found all over the bottom of the pool as well as plenty of dead bugs and such. After dark we were eaten alive. Bring bug spray, it's bad! All of the rooms rented had a terrible musty smell that became embedded in all of our belongings. The ice machine could not keep up with the demand of the resort; neither could the tiny coffee pot that was never attended to.

Room Tip: Great view from the family efficiency unit.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank lisa203

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed here for one night on our trip between Cape Cod and NYC and had a good time. The staff could not have been sweeter. They were more helpful then we expected in taking care of our bicycles, giving directions, and helping us with equipment. There us access to a large inlet and the kayaking was wonderful. We would loved to have had the time to visit the nature preserve next door.

The room was only OK but the beds were comfortable and the air conditioner worked well. The restaurant on the premises was not open for lunch and may not have been open for dinner.

I would not go here for the hotel itself but the grounds are beautiful and the staff wonderful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CrustyOld
Southampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 25, 2011

After reading reviews here, I was worried about what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the rooms were. The grounds are spectacular and the service was super friendly and helpful. There are a number of buildings on the 15 acres to stay in...anything to suit anyone's needs from 2 dbl beds to efficiencies to apartments. The heated pool is great, you can use paddle boats, canoes and kayaks on the pond, tennis courts, and a huge sprawling lawn for kids to play on or to have a picnic under a shady tree. Only breakfast is served in the restaurant but it's nice to be able to just walk over and have it. It is right on Rte 1 so it's easy to get to beaches, restaurants, etc. I really hope this place stays in business as it is a gem!

Room Tip: there are different buildings on the grounds (dockside, poolside, coveside, tennis villas) with diff...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cbara85
Oxford, Connecticut
Reviewed May 19, 2011

My family and I (mom, dad, sister, myself, 4 cousins, aunt and uncle) have been going there since I was little. The rooms have a musty smell but if you turn the air conditioner on the smell goes away. They're spacious rooms and if you stay in the tennis court rooms the balcony has a nice view of the tennis courts.

You have free access to the game room and pool, which is fairly nice. When you go there as often as us, you get used to everything. The boat in the lake, the guy that drives his truck across the lawn to his house, the guy who mows the lawn every day, the random ice machine outside, the coffee in the morning, its pretty weird, but it always comes up in conversation and we have great memories there.

There is excellent access to beaches such as East Beach and West Beach, Misquamicut is about 20-25 minutes away, Newport is about 40, and Watch Hill is about 20-25. There are also many good restaurants in the area seeing as the motel is on Route 1.

Overall, the Willows gets about 3 stars because it has its positives and negatives.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank meredithanne101
CT
Reviewed September 22, 2010

This place is in a wonderful location. Room was spacious and bed was comfortable. I stayed in the main building. Free use of boats and game room. Breakfast was good.
The hotel could use some updating but is better than most in the area. Very convenient to East Beach. Nice beach that is less crowded than others.
Had a good time here and plan on going back.
Room was clean. Staff was helpful and nice.
Could use some better bedding. Bedspread was very old looking.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DrFunkinstein
Rome
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We spent two nights - booked based on the location despite some negative reviews. We were very pleaseed with our accomodations. Our room was NOT musty, the view was beautiful, staff outstanding, pool clean, rooms clean and the lcoation was the best. Free use of kayaks and canoes, coffee in the am made this perfect. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get awy and be near the water.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 9, 2010

The Willows has been a steady and solid choice for my wife and me for the past decade. We come to the Willows from Eastern, CT as a short respite from the grind of daily life. Although our trip is only 60 miles to get here, we feel transported to a place that feels as if it has been forever exiled to the mid 20th century. If it were not for the cars in the parking lot, one could truly believe it was the 1950's at the Willows. Here lies the rub. Some reviews that I've happened upon detail antiquated rooms and complaints of poor accommodations. My wife and I can say as frequent travelers (I'm a Marriott Rewards Platinum member) that the rooms we have stayed in have always been clean and fresh and a good night's sleep. Have we seen bugs? Yes. Have we looked at something that could use a touch up job? Yes. Have we seen about eight different varieties of animals in the massive back field? Yes!!! And that right there is about worth half the cost we pay for the room. Sitting on the back deck at night and enjoying the cool breeze from the nearby cove and ocean and watching coyote, rabbits, fox, possum to name a few all hanging out and doing their animal thing is about as good as it gets. I swear it's like a zoo back in the field. Side note-This is the Tennis Court Villa rooms that I'm referring to when I see the animals. Another side note-I stay primarily at the Tennis Court Villa rooms, so I can't speak for the efficiencies but I've also stayed at the hotel rooms near the office and they offer a quaint view of the cove although the rooms are smaller but still clean and fresh. About the hosts, Scott and Lauren Duhamel, they are just plain good folks. No pretense about them and they've always cared very well for my wife and me. For anyone who cares about a good local historical perspective, the Willows is your place. Learn about the history of the Duhamel family and how the Willows came to be, the WW II vets in the Duhamel family, South County RI's rural roots, the famous Willows Clambake and it will add to anyone's appreciation of this resort. The swimming pool is one of my favorite hang outs. It's big, it's clean and it offers a chance to meet many great people from around the Northeast and beyond. I talked football with a guy from New Jersey and a dad from CT for about an hour two days ago. Great stuff and it happens all the time.
Take time to appreciate the Willows for being what it is supposed to be. To my wife and me that means a step back in time to a quieter and more rural place where mints on the pillow don't exist, where fancy restaurants are not nearby but where several RI beaches are minutes away and where one can remember the days when their parents would echo fond memories of the simple life when vacations were not meant to be "luxurious" but meant to be with good people in a good, decent and healthy environment.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richards66
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlestown
Pleasant View Inn
Weekapaug Inn
#2 of 17 in Westerly
Hampton Inn South Kingstown - Newport Area
La Quinta Inn & Suites Stonington

Been to The Willows Resort? Share your experiences!