“Italian and seafood” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating
Portsmouth, Rhode Island, United States
“Italian and seafood”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Have been going here for many years. Prices are good. Food ok. Little change from years ago. The antipasto was ok, the seafood pasta was ok but not seasoned well, lobster was lacking. Hardly any meat. I mentioned it to the server even though I rarely complain but nothing was done.
I would go here again for the spaghetti but not the lobster maybe get the red sauce instead of the white!

• Visited February 2014

Johnston, Rhode Island
“Tweet's is good food at great prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

The people who write lousy reviews about Tweet's must be on serious drugs! The bottom line here is that you get good food for a great price, with plenty left over for tomorrow's dinner. My friend and I had littlenecks on the half shell and an order of calamari and then split a seafood plate, and had enough leftovers for both of us to take some home. I thought the food was very tasty (and I'm a picky Italian eater) and knowing that it wasn't going to break the bank made it all the more delicious! The waitress was great, very friendly, attentive and accomodating.

If people want classy food and surroundings, then go somewhere else. Don't condemn Tweet's for being the great down-to-earth place that it is. You go pay two or three times as much for half as much food, if that's what you want---I'll take Tweet's any day, thank you!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Itallian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Go with the Tweets special in red and get enough to take some home because you are going to want to! Start with the clams zuppa. They are a spicy delight and go perfectly with the tweets red.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Bristol, Rhode Island
“Tweet's Balzano's Barks!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Years ago, Tweet's was an establishment in Bristol, RI. The old man ran a restaurant that served the best in pasta and seafood cuisine. Large portions, grand atmosphere and inexpensive prices. They could not be beat. They ruled for quite a while. Then the old man passed and left the restaurant to his family. In the opinion of my wife and I, the best of Tweet's appears to have died with the old man. This is unfortunate. Bristol is a very tight community. A strong Portuguese community that holds on to tradition. My wife and I had heard that things were not as good as they once were. We went, usually with family, and most of the older folks seemed to relish what they felt was a blast from the past. However, my wife and I, as well as some of the other family members saw that their experience was lacking. They still had some good size portions on some items but, we saw that the restaurant, as a whole, had lost some of its luster. My wife and I went a few more times, however. For us the appeal was gone. The older crowed still enjoyed it. I will not go into detail as to why I think they feel that the magic was still there. This review is in first person. My wife and I rarely stopped by Tweets for a long time. Then we went to try them again. We lived just down the street. We figured that we would walk down the street and have a couple of drinks and dinner. The interior of Tweets is pretty much the same as always. No news there. We were sat in a booth. I ordered a Long Island Ice Tea and my wife ordered a Bloody Mary. Both drinks were watery. You can not screw up a Bloody Mary. That was not a good sign. My Long Island- contains at least 5 different liquors. You also pay a premium price. This was watery and shameful. They had no trouble taking our money but to give you the drink you ordered was out of line. My wife ordered the Antipasto Salad. Nice Greens, assorted meats etc. I ordered the half rack of ribs. Easy enough. The drinks were bad and we felt strongly that one cannot screw up our order. Wrong. My wife just picked at her salad. It was virtually uneatable. You have got to be kidding me! I looked at my ribs. They did not look to bad. I started to cut between the bones so that I would be ready to chow down. That half rack of ribs did not contain bones. It was huge chunks of gristle!! 5 chunks!!! The rib meat just shredded. I wanted to hurl. We avoid this restaurant for a few years and this is what they are serving? Adnauseum. I called for the server to ask her what she thought. I said there is no way in hell I an going to touch that. She called over a member of the Balzano family that was working that night. Her explanation of why my ribs were like that was: when they order ribs, they have no idea as to what they are going to receive. After all of these years in the restaurant biz and that is the line I got. I order ribs all the time, all over the place, but Balzano's say they have no idea what they are going to receive. Bull Puckey. The scary part was the Balzano server said it with a straight face. My wife could not even eat her Antipasto. That was it, we're done. They comped the entire meal and we walked back home. Totally dismayed. Our lesson has been learned. I would not recommend Tweet Balzano's to folks I don't like. It was horrid and they don't seem to care based on the line they tried to tell my wife and I. I fail to understand why they are still in business. They have permanently lost 2 customers. We went home and ordered Chinese. Jade Palace was awesome!

• Visited February 2013
3 Thank Riker1alpha
“TWEETs read your reviews and what the public is telling you...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

I'm a local and should have known better, but I came here as a foursome on someone else's request. I've worked in restaurants for 17 years so I won't harp on the diner like service you get here its just ok. The food...
Is pricey but would be well worth it if quality, fresh ingredients were used. No one is fooled by the little bay scallops or the $19 "wild" dry farm raised salmon you serve. Ill repeat what many others before me have said, shame on you.
the bulk of your customers are local people that miss how your food USED to be. Look at where you are.. in a local seafood mecca, why are you serving frozen junk seafood??? Batter your own calamari. Cut your own local vegtables (the farmers market across the street) get your bread from the bakery in town. I care, and would like to see this place as more than a geriatric hangout. Keep in mind the tourists go home in the fall, its the locals that miss your old traditions that keep your heat on all winter. For now Ill take my $100 elsewhere. With ♥

2 Thank SecretHungryHippo