“Not perfect but with a little attention this could be a great hotel”
Review of Bristol Harbor Inn

Bristol Harbor Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bristol
Reviewed November 25, 2012

There are so many reasons why I would like to give this hotel a good review. It's in a great location. The property is new and well kept. The bed is great. There is a lovely gas fireplace in our room.

However, two factors combined to make my stay a less than pleasant one. If you are not a light sleeper or if you are lucky to get a different room than the one I got, these issues may not be important to you. First, the windows do not have drapes adequate to block light from the bright street lights outside. There are decorative drapes, blinds, and a sheer curtain but nothing adequate to darken the room.

Looking at the photographs on the hotel's web site, it appears that some rooms do have drapes that would darken the room. Second, and most importantly, our room faced Thames Street where the music from a nightclub awoke me from my sleep. The noise got worse later as the club closed and loud voices invaded the parking lot on the other side of the room. To give the hotel credit, at our request, they did move us to a room on the other side of the property. I am not really sure what the hotel can do about the problem with noise from the club. Perhaps the persons or company that operates said club has more political clout that the hotel operators.

If I had gotten a room originally on the quiet side of the building, I am pretty confident that I would have written a review that gave the hotel a rating of "as good as it gets" but given my experience with the drapes and noise, I can't do so.

I would like to make one last note about parking at the hotel which is odd compared to most hotels you might visit. When you arrive, there is a nice lot directly outside of the front desk but you can't use that lot for more than a couple hours, i.e. long enough to check in, take your bags to your room, and get settled in. After that, you have to move your car to a lot that is across and down the street a few hundred yards. On an evening with nice weather, this is not a big deal for most people but if you are disabled or find yourself at the hotel on a frigid evening, you may not be happy about the parking.

My room had excellent wired internet via a jack next to the telephone but the wifi did not reach the room from the lobby. The front desk will give you a network cable if you do not have one, but if your device does not have a network jack, i.e. if you have ipad, you won't be able to use the Internet except in the lobby.

Update:
We were moved to a new room that was quiet and had drapes. They also refunded half the cost of our second night's stay so I am now a fan again but would never agree to a room facing the night clubs again. In case management is reading this, there were some small issues with our new room (225). The tub was discolored, a few floor tiles were cracked, and one of the drapes did not open and close properly. Also, the first room had a bulb out in the overhead lamp. This is something housekeeping should catch and report.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jpcharlie

Reviewed November 20, 2012

We were attending a wedding in Bristol and we checked in on a Sunday... we called ahead to ask for an earlier check-in and we were told to call the morning of our arrival, we called the morning of our arrival to confirm and they told us to come in earlier but that they weren't positive our room would be ready. When we arrived at the earlier time our room was not ready and we had to sit uncomfortably in the lobby with all the other guests who were also waiting for their rooms. Our room was finished a whole 15 minutes before the normal check-in time of 3pm. The room was on the smaller side but was clean and we were lucky enough to be at the end of the hallway so we had no problem with noise. I agree with the other posts...Breakfast was horrible and we ended up leaving and eating somewhere else. If you are looking for a clean room to strictly enojoy the sights of Bristol than this would be suitable but if you plan on hanging out at the hotei for an extended period of time you might want to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My daughter and I had a very comfortable suite. My daughter attended a class and I enjoyed my time here. There was plenty of space in the suite and large bathroom. The refrigerator was a nice plus. The room was very quiet. A minor staff issue I had was more than satisfactorily handled by the manager. There is a nice continental breakfast with lots of fresh fruit. Not a grab a yogurt and go type of continental breakfast. The location is wonderful. Walking along the harbor is beautiful even in November. There are lots of restaurants and shops in walking distance. I plan to return with my husband for a little trip.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here twice with girlfriends. Located right near water. Good location. Restaurant right next door (pricey). Rooms are nice , not exceptional. The suite gives you 2 rooms. The pull out sofa is not comfortable. The suite had 2 tvs and a small refrigerator. They do give you a complementary breakfast and discount at DeWolfes. Usually have wedding guests staying on weekends, can be a little noisy but not bad. Negotiate for price, they are high.

Room Tip: Suites are nice. Don't spend more for waterview. It isn't directly on water. Our room overlo...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just wanted to pass on the good news to anyone looking for a destination on the water for a quick getaway weekend. The bristol Harbor Inn is your best choice it's beautiful ocean veiw, Fine quality accommidations, friendly service, activities, bike riding on the bike path or just sitting on the deck enjoyng a cocktail. Book your room today, you will enjoy you it. Mike and Mary Collins Pomfret Connecticut..

Room Tip: all ocean veiw rooms would be my choice
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

The location of the hotel is right next to the water which is wonderful. But I think the hotel rate is over priced considering that the rooms are small with old furnitures. Even the bed needs some updating. Internet is slow and the rooms are not clean. Breakfast next door at the De Wolf Tavern did not give much variety to choose from. Nobody's maintaining the coffee in the lobby and it was burnt at the bottom. There is not much happenings surrounding the area. I will certainly give it a second thought if I will book here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hanabanna23
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Obviously the lesser priced rooms have no views. Bed was fine, room was clean. Was not charming as one might have hoped from an "inn."
Front desk clerks seemed more interested in surfing the web or whatever they were looking at on the computer than providing a welcoming experience. Manager in back office found a flyer of discount coupons for our visit which was appreciated. Next time we'll try a B&B.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, you'll have to pay more. Get a room on the south side.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bristol
Hampton Inn Seekonk
#1 of 8 in Seekonk
Fox Point
Hilton Garden Inn Providence
Hilton Garden Inn Providence
#10 of 13 in Providence

Been to Bristol Harbor Inn? Share your experiences!