“For those people who are looking for a truely spectacular dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hourglass Brasserie - CLOSED

Hourglass Brasserie
Cuisines: French, American, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Description: Located in Bristol, Rhode Island our restaurant serves French inspired cuisine in a casual bistro setting. Our carefully crafted menu, an extensive wine selection, impeccable service and an elegant yet cozy atmosphere brings the best of Europe to your dining experience. Our constantly-evolving menu is based on season and availability of the freshest ingredients, yet we make sure to offer the favorites that our patrons enjoy
Boston, Massachusetts
“For those people who are looking for a truely spectacular dining experience”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

If is not often that you come across a restaurant that really produces food that is a real pleasure to taste as so often the main criteria for evaluation is the quantity of food served. As I was only going to have one course I had some of the complimentary focaccia with a slight garlic oil dip. At that point I knew I was in for a treat. I was then served a small cucumber gazpacho as a palette cleanser which was that good that I had to ask for another. I then sampled my wife's minestrone which was much richer than I expected without being over seasoned or salty (I also normally expect this to be some what watery). I was then given a lovely watermelon and raspberry juice? as another palette cleanser prior to my main course of lobster with bok choy vegetables and celery. I note the celery as I don't particularly like it. I always think it is a mark of a great chef that makes me enjoy food I don't like. If I end up eating eggplant next time then I know somethings up. Opps almost forgot the shrimp ravioli that came with the lobster which was superb. I know I was only going to have one course but then decided I needed to have a desert so I had the Panna Cotta? desert which was delightful. I left feeling like I had had such a varied and complete dining experience as though I had had a seven course meal where every ingredient had been thought through. At the end of the meal we did speak with Riz (the chef and owner) who was charming and obviously extremely accomplished. To get a meal like this would cost you twice as much anywhere else and that is not including the airfare!!

• Visited July 2014

Boston
“Superb local cuisine at Hourglass Brasserie”
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We dined at Hourglass Brasserie for the first time tonight and we will be back for what will no doubt be many more memorable meals. This is a beautiful yet comfortable space with a low key ambiance, but let's get to the food which was outstanding. It happened to be restaurant week and I had the fixed price meal and chose all vegetarian items each of which were so flavorful and beautifully presented from the intensely tomato minestrone soup to the fresh and creamy pea risotto infused with Parmesan and mint flavours. The chocolate mousse dessert was the perfect ending with delicious chocolate enhanced by Nutella crumbs, little meringues and marshmallows with a touch of raspberry, superb. All the little extras such as homemade focaccia, cucumber gazpacho and a refreshing raspberry/watermelon palate cleanser topped off by warm and attentive service from Chris made for a most enjoyable evening. My husband's poached lobster with crisp vegetables plus a side of shrimp ravioli was declared to be a delicious combination of textures and flavours

This place is a real gem with Chef Riz creating dishes from local meat, fish and produce in imaginative, deeply flavorful yet unpretentious combinations. Congratulations to the whole team at Hourglass Brasserie for creating a wonderful dining destination in Bristol.

Visited July 2014
Bristol, Rhode Island
“Always a great choice”
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

I usually only come for restaurant week. Always great options and i usually get an appetizer off the menu as well. The charred squid is spectacular with great pickled vegetables and caper berries.
The chef always sends out little treats and palate cleansers.
Definitely worth every penny!

1 Thank JenG2005
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Artistry in food...most unique food experience ”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant has probably the most creative and sophisticated ingredient combinations, preparations, and presentations that you will be so fortunate to ever get to experience. Seriously, it is that good. Unfortunately Bristol, as wonderful as it is, is not ready for this talented chef owner who brings his gifts & experience to this small town as the restaurant is rarely sold out. That said, people should be knocking down the doors because the menu/cuisine is dynamic & unique. I can only describe it as artisanal cuisine. If it is said that we eat with our eyes first...then this is the best way I can start to explain it. The detail of the different ingredients & the way they are combined sets off a cascade of sensations in your mouth. Although the plates may appear to be small, they are filling and satisfying. Just go...and support this talented chef. It is a unique and rewarding experience.

1 Thank lbruna
“Amazing birthday dinner!”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

I had originally eaten here for Providence Restaurant Week, and it immediately became my favorite restaurant in Rhode Island. I have eaten at loads of different top rated Providence restaurants and nothing compares to this. The prix fixe menu is top notch. Each dish is unique and not just beautifully prepared, but delicious. For people who comment saying the portions are too small- what are you even saying? By course 4 we were stuffed and incredibly pleased with our meal. I had the shrimp risotto and lamb loin and cannot say enough good things about them. The creme brulee was also out of this world. It is also an amazing location- very beautiful water views from the restaurant. I cannot say enough good things about this place. Chris took care of our table and was very knowledgeable about each course, and was very hospitable. I will be visiting here soon and often, and plan on recommending it to everyone I come across who is looking for a quality dining experience.

• Visited June 2014