“Wonderful meal with the bar menu outside”
Review of Spring House Hotel

Spring House Hotel
Reserve with OpenTable
Spring House Hotel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 63 Restaurants in Block Island
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: The Main Dining Room consists of our grand indoor dining room, as well as our ocean view patio, and provides patrons with exquisite fine dining. When available, the Spring House Hotel kitchen strives to use vegetables from our very own gardens, Many of our dish’s are created solely to utilize what we grow in our own backyard. We believe that self sustainability with organically grown herbs and vegetables is the healthiest way to cook. We strive to source all produce organically and or hormone and pesticide free if available, collaborating with Farm Fresh Rhode Island, we are able to source local farmers and purveyors throughout New England.
Reviewed September 17, 2011

As others note, the outside features a breathtaking view of the water and the island, with the restaurant on a hill. Tipped off by a local, we had a pizza and sandwich from the bar menu and had a wonderful evening for about 50. The pizza features interesting varieties and coming from an Italian area, I was surprised how good it was. The secret is not well-kept and you'd see a number of people ordering pizzas. With kids, this is a great place to go because you can get an economical meal and for a couple looking for a romantic evening, you can do it on a budget.

The regular entrees were in the 20's and low 30's and perhaps the unexpected low placement of the restaurant has to do with the fact that some might not want to spend 125-150 for an evening for two. Order sensibly and this is definitely the place to go.

1  Thank HalGordon

Reviewed July 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed and ate at the Spring House Hotel last week. The food was good - he said his ($46) steak was outstanding. My tuna was good and my appetizer portion of risotto was excellent - a meal-size in itself. We elected not to have dessert there and walked in to town for ice cream instead. Our waiter was friendly enough - no complaints about the service.

1  Thank KGLondon
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I got lucky with a perfect table on outside patio overlooking ocean and rolling hills. Just so beautiful. Menu was interesting with a lot of watermelon incorporated. Had watermelon oysters that were to die for! Ambiance is so romantic. I would def go back and even try to stay at this place.

Reviewed June 29, 2011

I have the utmost sympathy for waiters - its a really tough job, you're on your feet all day, and you have to put up with a lot of attitude. I normally tip 20%. Our dining experience at Spring House was ruined by the waiter, who we dubbed Keanu because he had a mellow, dude-like attitude and never removed his mirrored sunglasses (at night - hmmm, I sense a song there somewhere).

This was a Monday night - not exactly busy. Our wine order took 20-30 minutes to arrive. I ordered an appetizer, then frites and mussels as my dinner. Perhaps 45 minutes the apps arrived. Then the mussels came (1 hour?) - so I stared at them for a while, thinking my friends plates were coming right out. Nope. I finally dug in to my now-cool mussels. Then, at maybe the 90 minute mark, friends food plus my fries arrived. Huh? The waiter never came to check on us, wasn't particularly friendly. When the manager came over to ask how we were, I told him. He was very nice and comped us a round of drinks, which Keanu brought over with a very snarky attitude.

The food was just okay (frites average, mussels average), but the experience was ruined by the awful service. The view is stunning, so I would recommend going there for a quick drink - if that's possible.

5  Thank kjc64
Reviewed August 6, 2010

Seated in the large, relatively empty dining room, the noise level coming from nearby tables was deafening. We were a party of four. Our waitresses huge, fake, unending smile was quite annoying. Lobster/corn chowder was not hot; clam chowder and this chowder were both marginal in flavor. One dinner was cod, served half cold/half warm and, of course, unappetizing. Scallop dinners were just okay. Salmon was very good. "Smiley" kept coming back reminding us of her lack of reality.

5  Thank Netties1515