“Fine hotel in York”

The Yorktowne Hotel
Ranked #18 of 26 Hotels in York
Reviewed May 20, 2007

We stayed at the Yorktowne for three nights while vacationing in the area. The hotel is perfectly located in the heart of downtown York.

Our rooms were spacious, tastfully decorated and clean. The service staff were helpful and kind.

The restored historic lobby is a perfect place for an after dinner drink.

I found nothing at all to complain about and would gladly stay at the Yorktowne again and would recommend highly to anyone travelling to York. A true first class historic hotel.

Stayed: May 2007
1  Thank Peabody1117

Reviewed May 12, 2007

The Yorktowne is an okay historical hotel. It reminded me of a bed breakfast with the decor and the personal staff touch. However, it is in desperate need of a renovation. It does not have any of your modern convenience that other historical hotels have.

I stayed in the junior suite. It was a fairly large and clean. However, the bed coverings, furniture, decor, and the extremely small bathroom was very outdated.

The only problem with my stay was that at 10PM the fire alarm went off which disturbed my toddler. We all had to go outside of course, but it was a fasle alarm.

The one positive thing about the Yorktowne is that it had one of the nicest staff of any hotel that I had ever stayed at.

If you are looking for a clean and bed & brekfast type of atmosphere then the Yorktowne is great. However, I will probably not stay there again unless they renovate the entire hotel. Also, there is not that much to do in York City during the evening because of the area.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank nem
Reviewed January 22, 2007

We traveled to York, PA for a combination business/leisure trip. The Yorktowne is an elegant, old style downtown hotel. The lobby is beautiful and the rooms were very large and well kept.

I bid on the room there thru priceline and was able to secure a pretty good price, making it on whole, a great value.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wmgurst
Reviewed August 27, 2006

My wife and I had a planned day trip to York and decided to stay for the night. We stayed at the Yorktowne in a Junior Suite. We had a great room on the 8th floor. It was beautifully decorated and the staff was helpful. We also had dinner in the Commonwealth room. The restaurant reminded us of a classic & the food was great. We had a wonderful evening and stay in first class accommodations. Considering this is York and not a travel destination, it was a great experience

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bigdadgolfer
Reviewed August 20, 2006

Very nice old hotel in downtown York. A good value compared to the Lancaster Area. Room size is large. Rooms were comfortable. Staff was nice. Only real complaint that bed and tv were in separate rooms. I recommend the hotel especially if you get a deal on Priceline.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank JohnfromMemphis
Reviewed August 6, 2006

This is how my room stay started, a huge cockroach (not a roach-I know the difference between the two) in my bathtub. I was very surprised because the lobby is beautiful. When I initially walked into my room I was satisfied with what I saw. I didn't notice any fowl odors or major cleanliness issues. Once I checked the bathroom and saw that huge bug, I asked to be moved to another room. I will say that the staff is very accomodating. She switched rooms for me without any problems. The next room was not as nice, but bug free. One of the other staff members explained that this was not uncommon for cockroaches because the hotel is very old (which it definitely is). I wouldn't say this is a horrible hotel. I would just say that they should reinvest some of their money in the actual rooms rather than just in the lobby. The toilet seats were kinda old, the wall paper was peeling off a bit, the roll away bed we had was grimy and needed to be replaced, the carpets could use cleaning. I'll say it was ok. Better than an Econo Lodge, but needs some TLC. Should shut down and make some renovations. Then they could easily be a 5 star hotel then. Would probably not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank swillyone
Reviewed July 9, 2006

Stayed here for 3 nights. Our room was spacious and beautifully appointed. The staff was very nice and helpful. The parking garage can present a problem for dual wheel full-size pickup trucks but the young men did a great job accommodating us. The restaurant (Commonwealth Room) was outstanding although quite expensive. The cafe was very nice and reasonably priced. I feel sure the same chef as the Commonwealth Room prepares a lot of the food for the cafe. If you enjoy visiting historic hotels, you will enjoy visiting The Yorketown Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2006